Galaxy is rich in Earth like Planets

/dev/null

Technically, since the Milky Way is in the range of 100,000 to 120,000 light years wide, and we are roughly 2/3 of the way out from the center, the exoplanets aren't "millions" of light years away.

Plus all we have to do is yell really, really loud, because sound travels fater than light in space...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus all we have to do is yell really, really loud, because sound travels fater than light in space...

Physics FAIL!

Fact 1 : Light travels faster than sound.

Fact 2: Space is a vacuum. Sound does not travel in a vacuum.

It won't matter because you can't change the laws of physics. These planets are millions of light years away. Even if they were just thousands of light years away, it would still be impossible to reach them, and thousands of years before we could communicate with them. Not to mention, I don't know if humans will be around in several hundred years.

But we don't know how advanced they are and if they have the capability to reach us. I have no desire to reach them anyway, I'm more of a homebody. But my dream before I die is to see a UFO land.

Even if they confirm it, big deal. Humans will never reach them and won't ever make contact with any life that may exist on them.

It's that kind of 'can-do' attitude that makes this nation great. :blush:

You can forget about that. First space explorers will be missionaries from earth....off to build churches and show the people the way of the God.

What an hysterical, and horrible, thought.

While the laws of physics don't allow things to move faster than light, they technically don't disallow time travel (at least, not yet). There's no reason in physics why you can't travel thousands of light years in, say, three years, by travelling for several thousand years (external frame of reference - obviously, the space ship's frame of reference would be much shorter), and then going back in time to a point three years after you left.

The problems with that that sort of time travel it is only (theoretically) possible by leaving and returning to the same place, not travelling elsewhere. And one would need to travel at the SOL, which is impossible. Then you have the issue of knowing when to return. In the thousands of years that may have passed, humans will have been long-since extinct.

And my bad on the "millions of lightyears away." I thought it said "universe" instead of "galaxy." But tens of thousands might as well be millions.

Can you do it? Didn't think so! :blush:

A few theorists think it can be done (traveling vast distances quickly, not faster than the speed of light). Did you read my link? Sure it may sound like science fiction now, but man has certainly not learned all of what is to know. Ruling out being able to travel to these planets (which may only be dozens/hundreds of light years away in some cases as they do not mention how far these planets are away or in what system) when considering how much technology may advance just seems wrong to me. I freely grant, probably not in anyone that posts on this board's lifetime.