Galaxy is rich in Earth like Planets

/dev/null

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can forget about that. First space explorers will be missionaries from earth....off to build churches and show the people the way of the God.

and the missionary position.

This isn't surprising news, but I suppose it needed verification before being accepted.
Undoubtedly, this is huge news. If officially confirmed by NASA -- and only then would it be advisable to pop the champagne corks -- the discovery of dozens of worlds of comparable size to Earth is historic.

Confirmed by NASA? That's gonna be a while. Their #1 mission now is to make friends with the Mormons.

Well, we know we won't. Who know what will change in the next few hundred years though.

It won't matter because you can't change the laws of physics. These planets are millions of light years away. Even if they were just thousands of light years away, it would still be impossible to reach them, and thousands of years before we could communicate with them. Not to mention, I don't know if humans will be around in several hundred years.

It won't matter because you can't change the laws of physics. These planets are millions of light years away. Even if they were just thousands of light years away, it would still be impossible to reach them, and thousands of years before we could communicate with them. Not to mention, I don't know if humans will be around in several hundred years.

http://www.popsci.com/entertainment-amp-ga...theorist?page=1

Not saying that is what will happen. And some people think Michio Kaku is more about promoting himself than physics. Still, with hundreds of years to work, who knows what is possible is my point. You may have a valid point about us not being here.

...These planets are millions of light years away...

We will not be able to have a conversation with anyone, but it's still possible that we could receive a transmission (millions of years old, sure) that would confirm intelligent life somewhere else. That is quite interesting, no?

While the laws of physics don't allow things to move faster than light, they technically don't disallow time travel (at least, not yet). There's no reason in physics why you can't travel thousands of light years in, say, three years, by travelling for several thousand years (external frame of reference - obviously, the space ship's frame of reference would be much shorter), and then going back in time to a point three years after you left.

We will not be able to have a conversation with anyone, but it's still possible that we could receive a transmission (millions of years old, sure) that would confirm intelligent life somewhere else. That is quite interesting, no?

See my posts.

What do you think I've been doing here? :blush:

Technically, since the Milky Way is in the range of 100,000 to 120,000 light years wide, and we are roughly 2/3 of the way out from the center, the exoplanets aren't "millions" of light years away.