Galaxy is rich in Earth like Planets

/dev/null

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc,

You're not much of an optimist are you? Lest you forget, we are a species that landed on the moon a mere 66 years after the Wright Brother's took to the air for the first time. 66 years!!! From a paper and wooden plane to sophisticated rockets and space travel.

Technological advances are exponential. In fact, technology is advancing so quickly that it's difficult to keep up. Just look at the last 50 years and what's been developed and how quickly it's changed the world. From the internet to the iPad -- things are only going to continue to advance at an even quicker rate. In another 50 years there will be new tech that will make the iPad look like a dinosaur.

There's absolutely no doubt that technology WILL keep advancing to a point where interstellar travel is not only possible, but common.

Your point about whether or not the human race will survive long enough to reach that point is a far more valid and compelling argument. Because yes, there's a chance we kill ourselves or this planet long before we reach that. But, to say that it's impossible for humans to develop the capabilities to travel across vast distances is just plain false and shows a complete ignorance of how far we've come as a species in a very, very short period of time.

Well, the rub is that none of us will ever see interstellar travel in our lifetimes, so we will never know. And the chances the human race dies out before we achieve it are very high. So no, I'm not an optimist in that regard.

Well, the rub is that none of us will ever see interstellar travel in our lifetimes, so we will never know. And the chances the human race dies out before we achieve it are very high. So no, I'm not an optimist in that regard.

Probably true, but who knows, we argued you down from millions of light years to one. IIRC there are 40-50 stars within 10-15 light-years btw (the closest like 4+). Want to bet they have focused on them? Mind you, I doubt many of these are habitable, but who knows?

Time travel requiring the end point to be same as the start point.

Time is relative. How would one know that they time-traveled if they went elsewhere? The theory of time travel is just that.

It should be fun, since you demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of general relativity in the above... :blush:

Sorry Tom, I wouldn't be foolish enough to claim I understood it. Not that general relativity explains everything in the universe (it doesn't). But I'm always open to hearing new theories on how one would travel at, much less faster, than the SOL.

Probably true, but who knows, we argued you down from millions of light years to one. IIRC there are 40-50 stars within 10-15 light-years btw (the closest like 4+). Want to bet they have focused on them? Mind you, I doubt many of these are habitable, but who knows?

Again, when you're talking light-years, it's still a hell of a long way away. And you bring up a good point: who knows if they're inhabitable? We'd need to develop the tech to figure that out first before sending ships and people there.

Time is relative. How would one know that they time-traveled if they went elsewhere? The theory of time travel is just that.

Nicely mathematical. :blush:

Sorry Tom, I wouldn't be foolish enough to claim I understood it.

Obviously. Otherwise you wouldn't be making statements like "and wish to get there in some human lifespan timeframe(s), you'd need to find a way to travel MUCH faster than the SOL." Because, as you said (but clearly don't understand), time is relative.

:blink:

Guess the fail is on me.

:worthy:

Meazza once asked (one of his first posts) "Does sound travel faster than light in space?" I of course gave him the only correct answer to that question: "You're an idiot." I still give him **** for it.

:blink:

Guess the fail is on me.

Never EVER admit to a mistake around here. What you need to do instead is call the person who has pointed out the error of your ways a bunch of mean names with lots of @#%^*)s involved. Then bluster LOUDLY and carry on as if nothing had happened.

Next step in the progression of engineering.

Really, how are you going engineer a high-speed, long-distance space ship when you can't even manage the technology to control a fusion reaction?

Simple! You just have a drunken dude working out of an abandoned missile silo have futuristic space travelers travel back in time to stop a pre-emptive cyborg invasion and then fly it out dodging phaser beams and photon torpedos until you initiate contact with pointy-eared space Buddhists!

Never EVER admit to a mistake around here. What you need to do instead is call the person who has pointed out the error of your ways a bunch of mean names with lots of @#%^*)s involved. Then bluster LOUDLY and carry on as if nothing had happened.

Or use the big cat I was just being sarcastic angle.

Lawl... its all good...I don't mind apologizing if I'm wrong. I really see no point in hiding behind an egoistical internet avatar / post count rep. Doesn't add much to the convo.

......which is prob why the aliens will pick me to teach the secrets of the universe. :blink:

Lawl... its all good...I don't mind apologizing if I'm wrong. I really see no point in hiding behind an egoistical internet avatar / post count rep. Doesn't add much to the convo.

Don't worry. You have exactly the same amount of credibility here as you have ever had, or ever will.

......which is prob why the aliens will pick me to probe for the secrets of the universe. :blink:

more better now