The Buffalo News: Chan Gailey the Fundamentalist

Damn. I'm not even that religious at all, but what u said inspires me. Crush them until they are nothing more than Belichick's 4th Super Bowl hopes. (with the patsies)

I believe that was a reference to Conan when Arnold responds to the question of what is best in life with this "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."

only Arnold could speak so eloquently.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were also quotes in there saying how - and this was from Reeves, I think - Gailey was one of the most creative O.C.'s when it came to utilizing whatever talent he had, and converting his players strengths into actual points. Gailey, it is said, understands what the other teams are going to try to do defensively, and goes into games with unique game plans. And, he's known for trying new things. O.k., so he knows we're going to see a lot of 8 in the box this year, that teams will challenge us to run. I think he'll have us ready to counter that. Another encouraging thing there - the fact that his teams are fundamentally sound, that they might not have 150 plays for that game, but the ones they do have, the players know how to execute. I think that has been our worse setback over the last three or four years - an apparent inability of our offense to execute - I mean, they've looked as bad as a high school team at times - embarrassing. So, if we execute well this year, we will see plays being made by guys we haven't had to count on before. We're not going to be in the bottom of the league.

No one's surprised by this assertion. Gailey's always been a run-first coach, unfortunately he can't block for the guys who'll be logging the carries. The OL still has serious issues, namely LT and RT and that's if Wood comes back 100%.

There is no team in the NFL right now winning games with a power running style. Not Carolina, not Tennessee, not Pittsburgh, and not Buffalo 2010. For all the plaudits guys like Chris Johnson and DeAngelo Williams receive, teams these days need more diversified offenses with a passing game that can keep defenses honest. Buffalo doesn't have that.

Gailey will have his work cut out for him when teams stuff 8 and even 9 in the box. How he responds will be one thing, but I don't think he's got the talent in the passing game right now to succeed.

Besides, I won't disappear from the board if the team begins to struggle like others do.

Good point. Gailey's passing games in Pitt and Miami were weak.

However, excepting the potential for significantly tougher AFCE, Gailey should deliver more than 7 wins with what he's got.

Lets not forget LBJ!

Or FDR, or Harding or Buffalo's finest, Grover Cleveland (though he did his fooling around before he was elected). The idea that fooling around in the White House started with Clinton is based on a short attention span.

A certain percentage of men in positions of power have always taken advantage of the sexual favors that such power--and opportunity--have allowed them.

I agree with PTR... The "Fun Camp" is over, I really like the article,, the best I have read on Chan Gailey so far. And I must admit I to believe that he is going to get more out of the talent that we have here. I hope to see 8 wins but we have 2 new systems and a few key holes.

That being said I can not wait to the start of camp, and to see some of the holes filled and the team come together!! GO BILLS

When you are running a "pop warner" offense it's easy to put 8-9 in the box and dare you to beat it. No one lost any sleep gameplanning against the Jauron-led Bills. I think Chan will have something planned for the team that tries the same thing.

PTR

No one's surprised by this assertion. Gailey's always been a run-first coach, unfortunately he can't block for the guys who'll be logging the carries. The OL still has serious issues, namely LT and RT and that's if Wood comes back 100%.

There is no team in the NFL right now winning games with a power running style. Not Carolina, not Tennessee, not Pittsburgh, and not Buffalo 2010. For all the plaudits guys like Chris Johnson and DeAngelo Williams receive, teams these days need more diversified offenses with a passing game that can keep defenses honest. Buffalo doesn't have that.

Gailey will have his work cut out for him when teams stuff 8 and even 9 in the box. How he responds will be one thing, but I don't think he's got the talent in the passing game right now to succeed.

Besides, I won't disappear from the board if the team begins to struggle like others do.

Fair points, all. But it can't be lost in the discussion that a large part of the criticism of the Williams/Mularkey/Jauron era was that the team was not built for the climate in which it plays.

We likely disagree on the level of talent on the roster; I'm hoping my view will be proven right with competent coaching on the sidelines.

I won't disappear, either.

I believe that was a reference to Conan when Arnold responds to the question of what is best in life with this "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."

only Arnold could speak so eloquently.

I'm gonna guess there is a Conan the Barbarian related religion out there somewhere. Maybe he belongs to it.

Knowing that the OLine can't possibly catch the injury bug worse than they did last year (especially now that they're actually doing squats in the weight room), I'm also much less concerned about our boys up front having read this quote from the piece:

"It's definitely not an overcomplicated system," said quarterback Damon Huard, who played for Gailey in Miami and Kansas City. "I've been in an offense with 30 different protections. His probably has six or seven, which really at the end of the day might be all you need or is the way to go if you have a lot of young guys. He does a good job of changing up personnel groupings and formations to disguise his plays."

Yes, I think that's the point. The primary complaints of the two posters to whom I referred is that the prior several regimes of GM/HC have seemingly failed to understand what sort of team should be built to play in Buffalo. The fact that the GM/HC in place now seem to "get it" should not be underestimated -- even if it doesn't necessarily show up this season.

Not sure I buy into seem to "get it" theory. IMO, seeming to get it would have been upgrading our QB situation and offensive line first and foremost. The new regime hasn't done that.

When should the progress begin and shall we see results?

We always have a tough schedule. We play the Pats twice a year.

This is a legitimate concern, but with the discipline Gailey brings, I have confidence it won't be as big a problem.

This happens every year. Does the name Pat Williams ring a bell? Reed hurts more than TO, but Johnson might be able to fill his (Reed's) shoes.

Again, this happens every year - and we still somehow manage to win 6-7 games. Plus, the NFL these days has become a league dominated by younger talent. Rookies are having a greater impact than they used to.

Again, this happens every year.

Gailey is the OC. How is he inexperienced? George Edwards is the DC, a job he's held before with the Redskins.

Could be, but a number of guys have said they feel more comfortable in the 3-4 so far. I think the 3-4 is easier to adjust to than the 4-3 because it has much more flexibility.

We led the league or were a close second in players on IR every year under Jauron so, again, how could things actually get worse?

Our point is that most of these things have already happened - simultaneously - and we still won 6-7 games under Jauron.

Hey Maxie, I read your points and I really think they were more opinion related than fact orientated. I gave several reasons why things can get worse and they are legitimate reasons. My point was things can get worse. Whether that happens remains to be seen. I just think it is irresponsible thinking if you think things can't get worse...THEY CAN!

I can't understand why anyone thinks we will be a worse team under Gailey than Jauron. If the Dick(less) Jauron clown show could win 6-7 games, How can the Bills not do better under Chan?

PTR

You got that right, Promo. It seems though, that this logic escapes the great minds of the "experts" at ESPN and NFL Network.

You got that right, Promo. It seems though, that this logic escapes the great minds of the "experts" at ESPN and NFL Network.

What you get from ESPN/NFLN/etc is the great group think. If you keep saying something often enough, in sports or politics, it becomes accepted as fact. Also the Bills are such minor players in the NFL world, no one cares about how accurate any statements you make about them really are. That's how the New Orleans Saints win the Super Bowl in a year no one picked them to make the playoffs.

Really this is where the Bills need to be right now. Completely ignored by the media. No distractions going into a grueling, demanding training camp. Chan is going to whip these bums into lean mean football machine, or at least something better than the clown show they have been the last few years.

PTR

Good point. Gailey's passing games in Pitt and Miami were weak.

Not exactly (and you forgot Dallas). If you merely looked at the total passing yardage, which doesn't factor-in attempts, it would seem that way. But if you look at yards per pass attempt (which is total attempts minus sacks taken), the Dols were tied for 15th in yards per pass attempt (not including plays on which there was a sack) in 2000, Gailey's first year there, and 6th in 2001. It was similar in Pgh in 1996 and 1997 (16th and 9th).