The Buffalo News: Chan Gailey the Fundamentalist

Is it harder these days, Chan Gailey is asked, to get players to follow all the rules, to accept the consequences for their actions, to get them to resist taking the easy way out?

"How much time you got?" Gailey responds, leaning forward as if the question has touched a nerve. "That is a story in itself. Our society doesn't look at things that way anymore. So it's hard for young people to look at that anymore. When the president of our country does things that are not morally right and nothing happens, how in the world are they supposed to understand right from wrong? Now that gray line between those two has become larger and larger every year that I've been alive. Yes, it's become harder."

The new coach of the Buffalo Bills is a man who definitely knows right from wrong.

Way back in 1983 when he got his first head coaching job -- at Troy State in Alabama -- he developed a motto: Do everything the right way. It is a mantra that he has repeated, in one form or another, throughout his career.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article80986.ece

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it harder these days, Chan Gailey is asked, to get players to follow all the rules, to accept the consequences for their actions, to get them to resist taking the easy way out?

"How much time you got?" Gailey responds, leaning forward as if the question has touched a nerve. "That is a story in itself. Our society doesn't look at things that way anymore. So it's hard for young people to look at that anymore. When the president of our country does things that are not morally right and nothing happens, how in the world are they supposed to understand right from wrong? Now that gray line between those two has become larger and larger every year that I've been alive. Yes, it's become harder."

The new coach of the Buffalo Bills is a man who definitely knows right from wrong.

Way back in 1983 when he got his first head coaching job -- at Troy State in Alabama -- he developed a motto: Do everything the right way. It is a mantra that he has repeated, in one form or another, throughout his career.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article80986.ece

Thanks for the info Skooby. I'm liking Chan's character more and more. He seems to be a man of honor and ethics. These are qualities that cannot be overstated. We don't know yet if he'll be successful for us, but i'm more inclined to say that he will be. This is the type of person who can steer a ship in the right direction. Complete polar opposite of the Lane Kiffins of the world.

Is he talking about Clinton, Bush or Obama?

PTR

It doesn't really matter because more presidents than we care to think about have done morally wrong things. No matter what party they are affiliated to. To me Gailey is just talking about some Presidents in general.

It'll be fun to have a football team built to deliver righteous ass kickings to other teams. It is time to crush our enemies- drive them down before us and listen to the lamentations of their cheerleaders!

Damn. I'm not even that religious at all, but what u said inspires me. Crush them until they are nothing more than Belichick's 4th Super Bowl hopes. (with the patsies)

I can't understand why anyone thinks will be a worse team under Gailey than Jauron. If the Dick(less) Jauron clown show could win 6-7 games, How can the Bills not do better under Chan?

PTR

I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, we should get better.

I can't understand why anyone thinks will be a worse team under Gailey than Jauron. If the Dick(less) Jauron clown show could win 6-7 games, How can the Bills not do better under Chan?

PTR

Jauron was more interested in having boys like him then Men follow him...who knows if some of these players will grow up.

It speaks volumes that players think they can get away with the stuff pulled by Peters, Lynch and Schobel. It's just nice to have someone who says, 'No' to these primadonnas.

PTR

I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, we should get better.

I can't understand why anyone thinks we will be a worse team under Gailey than Jauron. If the Dick(less) Jauron clown show could win 6-7 games, How can the Bills not do better under Chan?

PTR

Seriously, I can't understand this either.

Man, do I like that statement! That speaks to the very things I've talked about here time and again - the meaning above and beyond the paycheck, the commitment to excellence, and the expectation of overcoming challenges. I understand moral relativity - just like Jauron was true in stating, "it's hard to win in the NFL". But, it can also be true that, "we expect to win, and we will not allow ourselves to believe otherwise." Two different, but not exclusive mentalities - I'll take Gailey's. And, with a little success, I think players around the league will, some of them anyway, want to play for a guy like that, if given the equal choice between a few teams.

That part about Gailey wanting to be a power running football team. Well, he might have the most well rounded group of backs he's ever seen. He can run it however he wants to now. I've got to say, I do get excited when I read about what he's done with other teams personnel. Compared to those Miami teams, we could see some real lightning this year.

I can't understand why anyone thinks we will be a worse team under Gailey than Jauron. If the Dick(less) Jauron clown show could win 6-7 games, How can the Bills not do better under Chan?

PTR

Unfortunately it may simply be the case that things need to get worse before they get better.

Specifically:

1. The biggest clear place where we lost a major piece from 09 is at WR. Whether folks want to admit or not (many in the media or fans were ready from the start to signal the signs of TO becoming a cancer based on their reading of past actions when it was quite clear from looking at the past that TO spent his first year (or years) at a stop winning the hearts of some teammates and fans and then the meltdown came later- you gotta win devotees first if you are gonna be a cancer) the Bills lost and have to replace their WR leader in receptions and yards. The good news is that they have a number of candidates for the job but the bad news is that none of these individuals is a good bet to star. We could get worse here.

2. It has been claimed in writing that other teams back-ups look better than our starters as a whole. Probably not true but for it even to be said speaks volumes of what we may still have to go through as we learn this crew and they learn each other. I think we will get better but it easily could be worse for a while.

3. QB is in a position where I think one of these three athletes will prove to be an adequate winner of this battle but again this will take time and we will have one or two horrid performances before the third wins the job.

4. We are switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and players are shifting positions like Kelsay to LB and Stroud to DE and one has to expect it will get worse before it gets better

And this is based on an assumption that it will all work out.

PTR

Hey promo and others, maybe I can help you understand why and how we can be worse.

(1) much tougher schedule than last year

(2) new coaches and new systems on both sides of the ball

(3) loss of TO and Josh Reed hurts WR roster and loss of our best pass rusher Schobel

(4) many of the young guys like Maybin, Hardy, Johnson, Troup, Moats, Spiller are going to be relied upon to contribute in a big way. what happens if they don't "step up?" Young players make mistakes....

(5) Much of the division has "upgraded themselves significantly. It's possible their upgrades will be more successful than ours.

(6) inexperienced offensive and defensive coordinators can lead to more coaching errors

(7) many guys on the defensive end of the ball were drafted as 4-3 guys and not 3-4 guys. it is possible they don't do well with the transition

(8) injuries always happen it is possible that some of our key players get hurt. ie Fred Jackson, Spiller, Troup, Lee Evans, Wood, Levtrie, Brohm, etc.....

Not saying any of these is going to happen but that is how we can be worse. I hope now you guys can see how we can be worse. It is not an impossibility and IMO a likelihood.

Hey promo and others, maybe I can help you understand why and how we can be worse.

(1) much tougher schedule than last year

(2) new coaches and new systems on both sides of the ball

(3) loss of TO and Josh Reed hurts WR roster and loss of our best pass rusher Schobel

(4) many of the young guys like Maybin, Hardy, Johnson, Troup, Moats, Spiller are going to be relied upon to contribute in a big way. what happens if they don't "step up?" Young players make mistakes....

(5) Much of the division has "upgraded themselves significantly. It's possible their upgrades will be more successful than ours.

(6) inexperienced offensive and defensive coordinators can lead to more coaching errors

(7) many guys on the defensive end of the ball were drafted as 4-3 guys and not 3-4 guys. it is possible they don't do well with the transition

(8) injuries always happen it is possible that some of our key players get hurt. ie Fred Jackson, Spiller, Troup, Lee Evans, Wood, Levtrie, Brohm, etc.....

Not saying any of these is going to happen but that is how we can be worse. I hope now you guys can see how we can be worse. It is not an impossibility and IMO a likelihood.

How do you know it is a tougher schedule? Every year there are teams who play below and above expectations so there is no way to tell if a schedule is difficult.

How do you know it is a tougher schedule? Every year there are teams who play below and above expectations so there is no way to tell if a schedule is difficult.

You make a good point but I think most would concur that this years schedule is tougher than last years. Maybe you are in the minority.