The Buffalo News: Chan Gailey the Fundamentalist

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know it is a tougher schedule? Every year there are teams who play below and above expectations so there is no way to tell if a schedule is difficult.

Nucci, you know he doesn't know anything.

Please don't feed the troll.

How many years have we all speculated, prayed, beseeched, and whined for a decent Buffalo Bills team? What makes anyone think that this year's particular combnation of coaches, players, schedules, etc. will truly lead to a winning season, let alone a playoff berth?

There is no better proof of the bromide, "The best predicter of tomorrow is yesterday" than the Buffalo Bills.

Hey promo and others, maybe I can help you understand why and how we can be worse.

(1) much tougher schedule than last year

We always have a tough schedule. We play the Pats twice a year.

(2) new coaches and new systems on both sides of the ball

This is a legitimate concern, but with the discipline Gailey brings, I have confidence it won't be as big a problem.

(3) loss of TO and Josh Reed hurts WR roster and loss of our best pass rusher Schobel

This happens every year. Does the name Pat Williams ring a bell? Reed hurts more than TO, but Johnson might be able to fill his (Reed's) shoes.

(4) many of the young guys like Maybin, Hardy, Johnson, Troup, Moats, Spiller are going to be relied upon to contribute in a big way. what happens if they don't "step up?" Young players make mistakes....

Again, this happens every year - and we still somehow manage to win 6-7 games. Plus, the NFL these days has become a league dominated by younger talent. Rookies are having a greater impact than they used to.

(5) Much of the division has "upgraded themselves significantly. It's possible their upgrades will be more successful than ours.

Again, this happens every year.

(6) inexperienced offensive and defensive coordinators can lead to more coaching errors

Gailey is the OC. How is he inexperienced? George Edwards is the DC, a job he's held before with the Redskins.

(7) many guys on the defensive end of the ball were drafted as 4-3 guys and not 3-4 guys. it is possible they don't do well with the transition

Could be, but a number of guys have said they feel more comfortable in the 3-4 so far. I think the 3-4 is easier to adjust to than the 4-3 because it has much more flexibility.

(8) injuries always happen it is possible that some of our key players get hurt. ie Fred Jackson, Spiller, Troup, Lee Evans, Wood, Levtrie, Brohm, etc.....

We led the league or were a close second in players on IR every year under Jauron so, again, how could things actually get worse?

Not saying any of these is going to happen but that is how we can be worse. I hope now you guys can see how we can be worse. It is not an impossibility and IMO a likelihood.

Our point is that most of these things have already happened - simultaneously - and we still won 6-7 games under Jauron.

Power running teams need power offensive lineman too.

Yes, I think that's the point. The primary complaints of the two posters to whom I referred is that the prior several regimes of GM/HC have seemingly failed to understand what sort of team should be built to play in Buffalo. The fact that the GM/HC in place now seem to "get it" should not be underestimated -- even if it doesn't necessarily show up this season.

"I think at the end of the day he'd love to be a power running football team" -- Damon Huard on Gailey.

Listening, BillsVet and Bill from NYC?

No one's surprised by this assertion. Gailey's always been a run-first coach, unfortunately he can't block for the guys who'll be logging the carries. The OL still has serious issues, namely LT and RT and that's if Wood comes back 100%.

There is no team in the NFL right now winning games with a power running style. Not Carolina, not Tennessee, not Pittsburgh, and not Buffalo 2010. For all the plaudits guys like Chris Johnson and DeAngelo Williams receive, teams these days need more diversified offenses with a passing game that can keep defenses honest. Buffalo doesn't have that.

Gailey will have his work cut out for him when teams stuff 8 and even 9 in the box. How he responds will be one thing, but I don't think he's got the talent in the passing game right now to succeed.

Besides, I won't disappear from the board if the team begins to struggle like others do.

No one's surprised by this assertion. Gailey's always been a run-first coach, unfortunately he can't block for the guys who'll be logging the carries. The OL still has serious issues, namely LT and RT and that's if Wood comes back 100%.

There is no team in the NFL right now winning games with a power running style. Not Carolina, not Tennessee, not Pittsburgh, and not Buffalo 2010. For all the plaudits guys like Chris Johnson and DeAngelo Williams receive, teams these days need more diversified offenses with a passing game that can keep defenses honest. Buffalo doesn't have that.

Gailey will have his work cut out for him when teams stuff 8 and even 9 in the box. How he responds will be one thing, but I don't think he's got the talent in the passing game right now to succeed.

Besides, I won't disappear from the board if the team begins to struggle like others do.

When they stack the box with 8 or 9, that's when players like FJ / CJ come in handy to change from a run to a pass. No reason to change what's on the field, just change the play at the line.

A running team can pass if the same runners can catch, plan on that play 1 of the regular season.

Hahaha. "He's just making a deep quote about president's in general". I doubt that is true, because generalizing history is usually a stupid idea.

He's talking about Clinton. I have to finish the rest of the article, but I hope it gets better.

Interesting article. I'm all for a man of principles. So long as he can correlate that to winning, I'm all set.

We all know football is a lot bigger than moving a ball around on a field. He seems like a good man, aware of his position to influence others. I had some great coaches when I was younger, and I learned a lot about life from them.

We all know football is a lot bigger than moving a ball around on a field. He seems like a good man, aware of his position to influence others. I had some great coaches when I was younger, and I learned a lot about life from them.

Especially the coach that made sure you had showered.