Parish as second receiver

Apparently "Our Wes Welker" has career totals that would end up as the real Welker's 4th best season.

He was an odd pick - a 2nd rounder, - the Bills' first selection after the move up to get JP the previous year. We all hoped. One would think that after 5 years, the braintrust would simply admit that he hasn't panned out, something that happens to all teams all the time.

He takes up a precious roster spot. I think they should move him on, somehow. But they won't...the Bills' have to be among the leaders in inability to evaluate wr talent. I don't know why that is, but it is persistent.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At best he's a slot receiver, not an outside receiver. I don't know if Gailey can make him more effective there, but the Bills might not have time to find out, what with other WR prospects on the team they might want to keep over him (his value as a PR helps him). The WR cuts will be interesting.

+1

I don't know, the Bills fan base has fallen in love with guys like Tim Tindale and Jamie Mueller before.

Ah, Jamie Mueller. Remember the game when he had two flat out steam roller, pancake blocks as the lead blocker. Forget who they were playing but seem to remember they were running left. They showed the replay several times.

actually i think roscoe will do fine in the slot as gailey finds a way to help him elude the duke boys

the sad troof is that the run d will be so porous the o will have no choice but to pass a lot in more second halves than anybody would like. a now more cagey vet roscoe could approach 800 yards easy with this mismash of wrs giving him lots of chances at wr2-4

actually i think roscoe will do fine in the slot as gailey finds a way to help him elude the duke boys

the sad troof is that the run d will be so porous the o will have no choice but to pass a lot in more second halves than anybody would like. a now more cagey vet roscoe could approach 800 yards easy with this mismash of wrs giving him lots of chances at wr2-4

800 yards? Roscoe's not going to rack up 800 yards in the rest of his career.

Stop it. If "used properly" by a "competent coaching staff", he's just like Wes Welker.

I have never seen such an unaccomplished player earn so much devotion from a fan base.

See Losman, JP.

Coaching alone is the only reason those 2 players didn't develop into superstars.

The quickness and elusiveness of Roscoe, if used properly, either with reverses, fake reverses can or make up your own play can be the straw that adds a bit more to the camels back for defensive coordinators playing the bills.

The Bills lacking talents can no longer be used as an excuse if Roscoe, CJ, Marshawn, Jackson, and Evans are put in situations that can take advantage of their skills.

So in 3 years he's never had a chance? He doesn't get into games because he isn't productive given the opportunity in Practice or Games. He is not this "hidden gem" stashed away, never used, underutilized, unappreciated. If he had it he'd show it and get on the field and produce. Use him on punts, in situations where the game is not on the line and not deep in his own end. He's proven he's good for that and little else. If Gailey ges more out of hime great but we have enough recievers to catch the ball and not fall down when finger tackled.

Again this begs the broader question of who is going to be our #2 WR (we have to have one so the question is who).

The depth chart candidates are:

Johnson- On the plus side subjectively looks to be a great route runner and pass catcher who had a great rookie campaign that made talk of him and his good size as an eventual #2 reasonable. On the negative side he simply regressed last year by real world measures of receptions, yards, and getting playing time though there clearly were openings for a good player to force the coaches to play him.

Could he become an adequate starter at #2?

Sure it is possible but even this achievement would be a stretch to achieve.

Hardy- On the plus side great demographics (its tough to teach height and he has got it) and he showed some skills in his first game with a nice TD on a fade pattern. On the negative side he is coming off an injury which basically cost him a season and since his great start he has produced nothing in the real world.

Parrish- On the plus side he has proved he can be a productive open field runner as a punt returner. When used properly as a WR (just a few times we have been able to isolate him using motion and when he is hit in stride with a pass he has turned this relay race with a DB into a couple of TDs but the Bills O has never made consistent use of this threat for some reason only Schonert and AVP know the answer too), he has actually shown good grittiness and and a willingness and ability to catch the ball in traffic over the middle making him a reasonable choice for #3 slot receiver duty (but his immediate injury as a rookie and small body still leaves a question about depending on this as a constant. Definitely as earned the dismay of the Bills faithful with a couple of critical PR fumbles. but hope still springs eternal as no matter what Don Beebe says you can't really teach speed.

Easley- On the plus side it is generally felt that the Bills may have gotten a steal in getting Easley in the 4th. The pundits say he has a big frame and surprising speed for his size and put up some nice #s his final year. However, this was just one year which cost him the first day and he did have a few bad drops, catches with his body rather than his hands too much (all this according to pundits), and needs some work on his route running.

Sure it is possible but even this achievement would be a stretch to achieve (and really this is a big stretch for a 2nd day drafted rookie to step in as a quality starter).

Again what all of this adds up to for me is that we have a huge gap at #2 WR which is even more critical for our O as the previously successful technique of neutralizing our hoped to be franchise #1 Evans is to simply double team him over and under and having a #2 which makes opponents pay for this is critical to making Evans be all he can be and also allow our QB )whomever that may be) dictate the game rather than chase it.

My GUESS as to what the answer is going to be is that even though the depth chart does not reflect it now (and actually may never given the cagey O genius Gailey) is that I suspect in reality our #2 WR is going to be Spiller. Gailey was pleased as punch to get him and the big issue for him is how to get him more touches when there are two other candidates for the RB job (including the Bills proven O leader last year and a former pro bowler).

At the very least we are gonna see Spiller in a lot of motion sets which have him go out wide to catch the swing pass (it is to be hoped against some hapless LB whom he will be able to make look like the Bills Robinson looked trying to tackle that speedster Jets QB a few years back). In addition to motion, the skinny on Spiller is that he actually is a pretty good route runner for an RB and it is hard for me to see how a trickster like Gailey does not simply line him up wide at a few times a game (his inventiveness is another reason I suspect we actually may not see Spiller lining up at WR much or at all in the pre-season.

However, it is the huge gap and the importance of it we have at #2 WR which makes me think that Gailey may be practicing Spiller a lot at #2 WR behind closed doors. IF (and again its an IF) Spiller were to have the chops to play #2 WR it would be very beneficial to our O game:

1. It allows Spiller and Jackson (and even Lynch since we do not have much of a commitment to the FB spot in terms of players under contract) all on the field at the same time all the time.

2. It created huge match-up problems for the DC as quite frankly both Evans and Spiller would demand a dt or if you are gonna single cover either you are demanding flawless coverage against a top flight player.

3. Some make a big deal out of Spiller not being a pro level WR due to his lack of collegiate WR experience. True.

However, even collegiate WR experience is far from a guarantee of a player proving to be capable of pro WR play. There is simply an intangible quality which allows a player from a Boldin to an Andre Reed to become an immediate force as a pro WR. Does Spiller have that?

I do not know but we expect the Bills O braintrust to be able to make that judgment and I hope they have Spiller pegged as having that talent. He certainly has the raw speed and an exciting playmaking ability even us armchair experts can see. He has the rep as a good route runner for an RB.

Given the huge need we have at #2 WR and that at best it will be a stretch to have any of the other candidates we have for #2 to take this critical job, I like the idea of having the stretch that works be Spiller at #2 WR. The depth chart will not say this for a while (if ever) but if this turns out to be reality it will solve a number of key problems we have and make out offense formidable almost immediately.

Again this begs the broader question of who is going to be our #2 WR (we have to have one so the question is who).

The depth chart candidates are:

Johnson- On the plus side subjectively looks to be a great route runner and pass catcher who had a great rookie campaign that made talk of him and his good size as an eventual #2 reasonable. On the negative side he simply regressed last year by real world measures of receptions, yards, and getting playing time though there clearly were openings for a good player to force the coaches to play him.

Hardy- On the plus side great demographics (its tough to teach height and he has got it) and he showed some skills in his first game with a nice TD on a fade pattern. On the negative side he is coming off an injury which basically cost him a season and since his great start he has produced nothing in the real world.

Parrish- On the plus side he has proved he can be a productive open field runner as a punt returner. When used properly as a WR (just a few times we have been able to isolate him using motion and when he is hit in stride with a pass he has turned this relay race with a DB into a couple of TDs but the Bills O has never made consistent use of this threat for some reason only Schonert and AVP know the answer too), he has actually shown good grittiness and and a willingness and ability to catch the ball in traffic over the middle making him a reasonable choice for #3 slot receiver duty (but his immediate injury as a rookie and small body still leaves a question about depending on this as a constant. Definitely as earned the dismay of the Bills faithful with a couple of critical PR fumbles. but hope still springs eternal as no matter what Don Beebe says you can't really teach speed.

Easley- On the plus side it is generally felt that the Bills may have gotten a steal in getting Easley in the 4th. The pundits say he has a big frame and surprising speed for his size and put up some nice #s his final year. However, this was just one year which cost him the first day and he did have a few bad drops, catches with his body rather than his hands too much (all this according to pundits), and needs some work on his route running.

Sure it is possible but even this achievement would be a stretch to achieve (and really this is a big stretch for a 2nd day drafted rookie to step in as a quality starter).

Again what all of this adds up to for me is that we have a huge gap at #2 WR which is even more critical for our O as the previously successful technique of neutralizing our hoped to be franchise #1 Evans is to simply double team him over and under and having a #2 which makes opponents pay for this is critical to making Evans be all he can be and also allow our QB )whomever that may be) dictate the game rather than chase it.

My GUESS as to what the answer is going to be is that even though the depth chart does not reflect it now (and actually may never given the cagey O genius Gailey) is that I suspect in reality our #2 WR is going to be Spiller. Gailey was pleased as punch to get him and the big issue for him is how to get him more touches when there are two other candidates for the RB job (including the Bills proven O leader last year and a former pro bowler).

At the very least we are gonna see Spiller in a lot of motion sets which have him go out wide to catch the swing pass (it is to be hoped against some hapless LB whom he will be able to make look like the Bills Robinson looked trying to tackle that speedster Jets QB a few years back). In addition to motion, the skinny on Spiller is that he actually is a pretty good route runner for an RB and it is hard for me to see how a trickster like Gailey does not simply line him up wide at a few times a game (his inventiveness is another reason I suspect we actually may not see Spiller lining up at WR much or at all in the pre-season.

However, it is the huge gap and the importance of it we have at #2 WR which makes me think that Gailey may be practicing Spiller a lot at #2 WR behind closed doors. IF (and again its an IF) Spiller were to have the chops to play #2 WR it would be very beneficial to our O game:

1. It allows Spiller and Jackson (and even Lynch since we do not have much of a commitment to the FB spot in terms of players under contract) all on the field at the same time all the time.

2. It created huge match-up problems for the DC as quite frankly both Evans and Spiller would demand a dt or if you are gonna single cover either you are demanding flawless coverage against a top flight player.

3. Some make a big deal out of Spiller not being a pro level WR due to his lack of collegiate WR experience. True.

However, even collegiate WR experience is far from a guarantee of a player proving to be capable of pro WR play. There is simply an intangible quality which allows a player from a Boldin to an Andre Reed to become an immediate force as a pro WR. Does Spiller have that?

I do not know but we expect the Bills O braintrust to be able to make that judgment and I hope they have Spiller pegged as having that talent. He certainly has the raw speed and an exciting playmaking ability even us armchair experts can see. He has the rep as a good route runner for an RB.

Given the huge need we have at #2 WR and that at best it will be a stretch to have any of the other candidates we have for #2 to take this critical job, I like the idea of having the stretch that works be Spiller at #2 WR. The depth chart will not say this for a while (if ever) but if this turns out to be reality it will solve a number of key problems we have and make out offense formidable almost immediately.

Now is that one of those things that you immediately regret writing, or are you one of those guys thats just happy to be alive?

At best he's a slot receiver, not an outside receiver. I don't know if Gailey can make him more effective there, but the Bills might not have time to find out, what with other WR prospects on the team they might want to keep over him (his value as a PR helps him). The WR cuts will be interesting.

Well said Doc. As A PR, he had 4 very good years with only last year being sub-standard. While he was in Jauron's doghouse which cost him playing time and opportunities. A clean slate may be just what the "Doc" ordered for Roscoe.

WR cuts may well be very interesting indeed, especially of one or more of the UDFA's end up showing real potential/talent.

We currently have Roscoe who really hasn't shown he's a viable WR, Steve Johnson who despite his fan clubs hasn't shown much, Hardy who needs to show something now, and Felton Huggins who is perennial camp fodder.........

Now is that one of those things that you immediately regret writing, or are you one of those guys thats just happy to be alive?

Now let me get this straight. You're not happy to be alive? I think this is a problem which can be solved!

Also, who and what do you advocate as the answer to the #2 WR question (or alternately you can instead of answering make yourself happier).

Well said Doc. As A PR, he had 4 very good years with only last year being sub-standard. While he was in Jauron's doghouse which cost him playing time and opportunities. A clean slate may be just what the "Doc" ordered for Roscoe.

WR cuts may well be very interesting indeed, especially of one or more of the UDFA's end up showing real potential/talent.

We currently have Roscoe who really hasn't shown he's a viable WR, Steve Johnson who despite his fan clubs hasn't shown much, Hardy who needs to show something now, and Felton Huggins who is perennial camp fodder.........

The problem is, his value is pretty much only as a PR, since we don't know whether Gailey can get more out of him. However given his performance last year as a PR, he might not even have value there anymore.

It seems like a lot of Bills fans have annual amnesia when it comes to Roscoe. He's had quite enough time to turn himself into a receiver and it hasn't happened...there's nothing to suggest it ever will happen.

Ya but did the coaches that he played for have any clue of the possible correct way to use his talents !!

The guy reminds me in some ways of a Steve Smith (Carolina) build , speed i think Chan will know how to use his talents .