Ralph isn't cheap!

This post is to dispel the theory and multiple posts that Ralph Wilson is cheap and not committed to winning.

The Buffalo Bills ranked 12th in the league last year in player salaries including all bonuses paid. We were ranked 25th in total revenue earned in 2008 by Forbes.

For comparison, the Bills spent more on players in 2009 than seven playoff teams: the Baltimore Ravens ($109M), Philadelphia Eagles ($102.5M), Indianapolis Colts ($101M), Minnesota Vikings ($100M), New England Patriots ($98M), Cincinnati Bengals ($95M), and Dallas Cowboys ($91M). The Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints spent $122M, while the New York Giants topped the list at $138M.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal....aspx?year=2009

To say that Ralph isn't committed to winning is not only the wrong opinion it's a complete fallacy. The Bills were said to be worth $909 million which is 26th in the league.

Here's a quote from MattRichWarren from Buffalo Rumblings which I think sums it up best.

"The better way to truly compare teams is operating income. That's the total income from merchandise, tickets, parking, concessions, and everything else that is unique to an individual team. In 2008, the Bills' operating income was $39.5M, good for a surprising 12. Conversely, the Washington Redskins made $90.3M. So in a truly capitalist system, the Redskins would be able to spend over $50M more on players and coaches than the Bills."

Ralph has obviously not made the best choices throughout his tenure, especially over the last decade or so, but he is committed to winning. He has tried to put together a winning product. Just because he has also made money within the framework of allocating resources to the teams success doesn't make him cheap, that's what every business man does.

To you conspiracy theorist that believe Ralph does just enough to sell his product, but won't spend enough to win - I disagree. I submit it would take more effort to balance that model, than it would be to win.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post is to dispel the theory and multiple posts that Ralph Wilson is cheap and not committed to winning.

The Buffalo Bills ranked 12th in the league last year in player salaries including all bonuses paid. We were ranked 25th in total revenue earned in 2008 by Forbes.

For comparison, the Bills spent more on players in 2009 than seven playoff teams: the Baltimore Ravens ($109M), Philadelphia Eagles ($102.5M), Indianapolis Colts ($101M), Minnesota Vikings ($100M), New England Patriots ($98M), Cincinnati Bengals ($95M), and Dallas Cowboys ($91M). The Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints spent $122M, while the New York Giants topped the list at $138M.

To say that Ralph isn't committed to winning is not only the wrong opinion it's a complete fallacy. The Bills were said to be worth $909 million which is 26th in the league.

Here's a quote from MattRichWarren from Buffalo Rumblings which I think sums it up best.

"The better way to truly compare teams is operating income. That's the total income from merchandise, tickets, parking, concessions, and everything else that is unique to an individual team. In 2008, the Bills' operating income was $39.5M, good for a surprising 12. Conversely, the Washington Redskins made $90.3M. So in a truly capitalist system, the Redskins would be able to spend over $50M more on players and coaches than the Bills."

Ralph has obviously not made the best choices throughout his tenure, especially over the last decade or so, but he is committed to winning. He has tried to put together a winning product. Just because he has also made money within the framework of allocating resources to the teams success doesn't make him cheap, that's what every business man does.

To you conspiracy theorist that believe Ralph does just enough to sell his product, but won't spend enough to win - I disagree. I submit it would take more effort to balance that model, than it would be to win.

RALPH IS CHEAP WHERE IT COUNTS!!! Ralph will not pay for probowl players. He has consistently allowed players we have drafted who have developed into star and or probowl players leave because he refuses to pay them market value. In particular CB is probably the best position to use as an example. Next would probably be linemen like Pat Williams and Jason Peters.

Ralph is known for overpaying for average talent though. This no doubt inflates the salary numbers from year to year without seeing the results on the field.

Cheap = not spending money. It has nothing to do with HOW wisely you spend your money.

You can complain about not spending money wisely, but as the facts show, he spends money and a lot of it therefore he is not cheap.

Don't even try. Some people are convinced Ralph is cheap and no amount of fact will sway them.

Don't even try. Some people are convinced Ralph is cheap and no amount of fact will sway them.

Yeah, "don't confuse them with facts, they've got their mind made up".

Funny thing is, my memory says we basically had the same post last year about how we were actually in the top quarter in player salaries for the previous year.

But don't forget, Ralph is cheap...

There is a big difference in "committed to winning" and "being worth alot of money."

A lot of those teams have put more than 10 cents of their own money into their stadiums, etc. in recent years.

As much as he may spend on player salaries, in an NFL neighborhood full of McMansions and other people in the process of building, Ralph is content with a double-wide up on blocks. There are no public plans for the future of the team (beyond the instability of "selling to the highest bidder," no stadium that would effectively tie the team to the area and attract good players. Player salary comparison is a little skewed when paying a ton of Benjamins to the likes of Chris Kelsay, et al. Bear in mind, also that the team doesn't have a QB who's making $12M per year, nor seem to be interested in getting one who in time would command that much... maybe on someone's orders.

Good owners create a legacy and see their franchise into the future. Beyond their own lives.

Cheap = not spending money. It has nothing to do with HOW wisely you spend your money.

You can complain about not spending money wisely, but as the facts show, he spends money and a lot of it therefore he is not cheap.

The key is not how much you spend, but how wisely you spend it.

In this area, Wilson has failed miserably over the years. For instance, I think Kelsay gets around $5 million per year and that is not cheap, but it is cetainly not wise. There are countless examples.

2009 = 111 million dollar payroll and a $3 front office.

At this stage in his life, RW has limited his criteria to GM searches as "someone he knows." That's not going to work in the 21st century NFL where a solid GM and HC are absolutely required.

And now, when RW went looking for the big name and reportedly big dollars for GM/HC, none of them would come work for him. Ralph doesn't understand that he's the reason this team consistently fails. His poor decisions haunt this organization (firing Polian, firing Butler, hiring TD, hiring Marv, re-signing DJ, Smithers as GM, et al.)

Mary, Mary Wilson, is that you, I didn't realize that you frequented Bill's websites, welcome aboard.

Ralph IS cheap. He is also strange, however. He is willing to spend money for a few high-priced, ill-chosen gems, but unwilling to spend a few extra bucks to secure his investment. He does not want to spend money on roster depth, facilities, or quality coaching. It's like buying a Ferrari and then not wanting to spend money on quality tires. It's maddening to those who have worked for him and for us fans.

A lot of those teams have put more than 10 cents of their own money into their stadiums, etc. in recent years.

As much as he may spend on player salaries, in an NFL neighborhood full of McMansions and other people in the process of building, Ralph is content with a double-wide up on blocks. There are no public plans for the future of the team (beyond the instability of "selling to the highest bidder," no stadium that would effectively tie the team to the area and attract good players. Player salary comparison is a little skewed when paying a ton of Benjamins to the likes of Chris Kelsay, et al. Bear in mind, also that the team doesn't have a QB who's making $12M per year, nor seem to be interested in getting one who in time would command that much... maybe on someone's orders.

Good owners create a legacy and see their franchise into the future. Beyond their own lives.

First of all, we't know what his future plans are. The "selling to the highest bidder" theory was debunked a long time ago.

Second of all, those owners that put 10 cents of their own money into their stadiums more than made it back by selling PSL's, as well as raising advertising, ticket, concession, and parking prices. This on top of the taxpayers having to pay hundreds of millions for each stadium, along with millions in annual maintenance costs. A new stadium and all its associated costs would kill football in Buffalo.

Ralph IS cheap. He is also strange, however. He is willing to spend money for a few high-priced, ill-chosen gems, but unwilling to spend a few extra bucks to secure his investment. He does not want to spend money on roster depth, facilities, or quality coaching. It's like buying a Ferrari and then not wanting to spend money on quality tires. It's maddening to those who have worked for him and for us fans.

What an idiotic statement. You are saying that someone who buys a Ferrari is cheap because the tires they purchase are not of top quality. Ralph Wilson doesn't always spend his money wisely but he is not cheap. To ALL YOU WILSON BASHERS PLEASE LISTEN "Ralph could have pulled an Art Modell and left Buffalo on several occasions. Ralph could have made a boat load of more money in a different city. Ralph has chosen to be loyal and give the Buffalo fans an NFL team. Ralph is never in the bottom half of league in spending. I wish that so many of you so-called fans would stop crying. Spending more money doesn't add up to championships anyways. You need to be a smart spender and like I said before Ralph hasn't always been a wise spender. Cut the man some slack though and stop calling him cheap because that is false.

I will once again make the point that Ralph Wilson, prior to the Polian Era, WAS in fact one of the cheapest owners in pro sports. Now he's just cheap with coaches and throws money around recklessly to marginally talented players.

Anyone care to dispute my post?

I will once again make the point that Ralph Wilson, prior to the Polian Era, WAS in fact one of the cheapest owners in pro sports. Now he's just cheap with coaches and throws money around recklessly to marginally talented players.

Anyone care to dispute my post?

Donahoe picked the players in the early part of the decade and Jauron had the final call on players since he came in...not every owner tries to run the player personnel dept like Jerry Jones does.

As far as cheap with coaches? Try paying attention to the facts and stop making ignorant posts. He pays coaches who have proven themselves better than ones who haven't....which is smart business sense. He was willing to throw $10M at Shanahan...which is more than Shanahan is getting in DC.

It's true that Jauron was ranked near the bottom of the league in head coach salaries when he was hired...as he should've been. He wasn't a proven winner. However, the contract extension he signed after that strong 2008 start....made him the 10th highest paid coach in the entire NFL...10TH!!! Ralph is still paying on that $3.5M a year deal...but he's cheap?

Do yourself a favor and get your facts straight before making such idiotic statements...unless you enjoy being thought of as a comedian

What an idiotic statement. You are saying that someone who buys a Ferrari is cheap because the tires they purchase are not of top quality. Ralph Wilson doesn't always spend his money wisely but he is not cheap. To ALL YOU WILSON BASHERS PLEASE LISTEN "Ralph could have pulled an Art Modell and left Buffalo on several occasions. Ralph could have made a boat load of more money in a different city. Ralph has chosen to be loyal and give the Buffalo fans an NFL team. Ralph is never in the bottom half of league in spending. I wish that so many of you so-called fans would stop crying. Spending more money doesn't add up to championships anyways. You need to be a smart spender and like I said before Ralph hasn't always been a wise spender. Cut the man some slack though and stop calling him cheap because that is false.

Right, I forgot, Ralph could've left but decided to keep his crappy product here, so we should bow down to him. Why do Bills fans suffer from battered wife syndrome?

Donahoe picked the players in the early part of the decade and Jauron had the final call on players since he came in...not every owner tries to run the player personnel dept like Jerry Jones does.

As far as cheap with coaches? Try paying attention to the facts and stop making ignorant posts. He pays coaches who have proven themselves better than ones who haven't....which is smart business sense. He was willing to throw $10M at Shanahan...which is more than Shanahan is getting in DC.

It's true that Jauron was ranked near the bottom of the league in head coach salaries when he was hired...as he should've been. He wasn't a proven winner. However, the contract extension he signed after that strong 2008 start....made him the 10th highest paid coach in the entire NFL...10TH!!! Ralph is still paying on that $3.5M a year deal...but he's cheap?

Do yourself a favor and get your facts straight before making such idiotic statements...unless you enjoy being thought of as a comedian

Do you have any links to back these numbers up? You mention that RW was willing to spend 10M per on Shanahan, but I'm not seeing much to back this up. Even so, let's assume RW did offer 10M, and Shanahan (along with Cowher) turned him down. Why would someone do that? I can only offer that they know the franchise is on thin ice and they need more stability. That's what people who are career minded take into consideration when deciding on a job.

RW fired DJ when it became apparent the team was going nowhere again and fan animosity was growing. At the time of the firing, Buffalo was 3-6, had been embarrassed in Tennessee 41-17.

When it comes to front office and coaching moves, RW runs the show. And that show has been pretty bad for a long time. This off-season is no different.