Will Maybin turn out to be the Bill biggest 1st. Rd. Bust?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 more than Maybin.

;):devil: Plus he was drafted 26th, not 11. I don't understand how folks think Flowers was a bigger bust. Maybin is already flaming out, and the only thing that awaits is the passage of time so that we can finally confirm he's a bust. Seriously, he can't hold off Torbor through OTA's? Sheesh.

I don't understand why we are not giving Maybin at least another training camp before we cast him away. He is now playing the position that makes sense for him and could still make a big difference for this team. I follow him on twitter, and I have to say, has a great attitude and clearly wants to get better. Give him a 2nd season before the bust label comes out.

;):devil: Plus he was drafted 26th, not 11. I don't understand how folks think Flowers was a bigger bust. Maybin is already flaming out, and the only thing that awaits is the passage of time so that we can finally confirm he's a bust. Seriously, he can't hold off Torbor through OTA's? Sheesh.

SIGH... Why don't you wait for the games to be played, man? It's only his second season and he's playing a new position. The true bust is all of these fans on this board ready to throw players overboard after one season.

When talking about whether or not a player is a bust early in his career, I also think - what would that player look like somewhere else? Sometimes it is more a good fit than necessarily an overall bust. I could imagine Rex Ryan getting his hands on Maybin last year, using him as a rush outside linebacker, and getting five, six sacks out of him. I'm not saying our coaching staff is inadequate at all, because it hasn't had a chance yet, but I'd say in the scheme of last year's Bills, trying to use Maybin as a DE was bound to be ineffective. He was just too small and inexperienced to go up against the blocking he faced.

Also considering he's only like 21 years old, he could blossom in a few years and still have a long career in front of him.

I really thought, last year, that we'd of drafted Orakpo. I was hoping for Orakpo or Everette Brown. So, just for the sake of evaluating my evaluating skills, I'm keeping an eye on those two to see how their careers fare against Maybin's.

Obviously too early to reach definitive conclusions but things do not look good.

For whatever reason, people discount the fact that he was not moved to LB last year, but after all of the injuries we had, wasn't it a horrible sign that Scott filled in at ROLB rathern than Maybin?

The guy really has never done anything but chase down Big 10 QBs for 10 games in the fall of 2008.

There is a reason some teams don't take "tweeners" high. They are too small to play end but may not have the chops to play LB, with all of the responsibilities and reads involved.

Do you trust anyone from last years coaching staff to make the correct personnel decisions????

When talking about whether or not a player is a bust early in his career, I also think - what would that player look like somewhere else? Sometimes it is more a good fit than necessarily an overall bust. I could imagine Rex Ryan getting his hands on Maybin last year, using him as a rush outside linebacker, and getting five, six sacks out of him. I'm not saying our coaching staff is inadequate at all, because it hasn't had a chance yet, but I'd say in the scheme of last year's Bills, trying to use Maybin as a DE was bound to be ineffective. He was just too small and inexperienced to go up against the blocking he faced.

Also considering he's only like 21 years old, he could blossom in a few years and still have a long career in front of him.

I really thought, last year, that we'd of drafted Orakpo. I was hoping for Orakpo or Everette Brown. So, just for the sake of evaluating my evaluating skills, I'm keeping an eye on those two to see how their careers fare against Maybin's.

Just like he did with Vernon Gholston?

Considering the Bills have had two, not just one, but TWO #1 picks overall become huge busts (Patulski & Cousineau) you will never convince me Maybin at #11 is the biggest bust ever. Mike Williams and Erik Flowers are bigger busts than Maybin could ever be.

Also please remember that Bruce Smith looked like a big fat flabby flop in his rookie season too. Let's wait one more season before totally writing off Maybin.

PTR

Flowers played only 31 games with the Bills. Not sure why you count only Bills games for other players, but all NFL games for him.

You are indeed correct. I forgot that he went to the Rams for two more glorious seasons after slinking away from his fabulous Bills career. That pops him up to Fifth Place all by himself - just ahead of JP.

Of course, I omitted Tom Terrific Cousineau from the First Place tie. Must have been a Freudian slip.

We drafted him #1 OVERALL in 1979 and he spit in the franchise's face and played in Canukistan for three years before eventually being traded to Cleveland for the pick that eventually was used to draft Jim Kelly. I'd argue that, that single fact alone was worth more than most of the other flops in this list ever did to provide success for the franchise.

I was surprised when the Bills recently added Torbor to the roster... and then moved him to ROLB. Then, with him getting first team reps in mini camp, it spoke volumes... at least to me.

This may or may not be a clear signal that Maybin may not cut it.

If so, I can't think of a bigger bust that the Bills have drafted in the first round than him. Erik Flowers and John McCargo would be close seconds. The Bills did get some production out of the likes of Patulski, Harmon, Gant, Hunter, Miller, Bell, and Losman. But, I can't remember any of the Bills being drafted as high as #11 and getting virtually nothing, in terms of production. At #8, Whitner certainly hasn't shown he was deserving of that, but he has given the Bills moderate production.

Yes, after one season that was under a ridiculously bad coach and defensive coordinator... yeah. That ONE season makes him a bust.

;):devil::wallbash:

Yes, after one season that was under a ridiculously bad coach and defensive coordinator... yeah. That ONE season makes him a bust.

;):devil::wallbash:

I wouldn't call Perry Fewell a bad defensive coordinator. I thought he was one of the few bright spots last year.He is the new DC with the NYG. I am hoping he does well there and maybe he can land a HC job soon.

I wouldn't call Perry Fewell a bad defensive coordinator. I thought he was one of the few bright spots last year.He is the new DC with the NYG. I am hoping he does well there and maybe he can land a HC job soon.

It's not that he was that bad a DC, it's the scheme he ran, that Tampa cover 2 which was bad. Maybe Jauron can be blamed more than Fewell for choosing that D, I just don't know. I don't think that's the defense he'll have with the Giants, so he may have a shot at adding to his resume, but that Tampa crap defense was ridiculous.

That said, the many fans who think any new coaching staff will be an instant upgrade are in for a real shock. You may not like hearing this, but the coaching staff from last year isn't even half as bad as you make them out to be. You'll find that out as this season progresses and the growing pains of switching to the new O, D, & ST systems take time. Upgrades are not automatically instant. The easiest way to turn a team around is with a significant QB upgrade, not a coaching upgrade without the QB upgrade.

Well then, let me help you out.

In terms of the least amount of games The Bills ever got out of a First Round pick - here are the top 10:

FIRST PLACE - there's a three-way tie: Ernie Davis (yeah THAT Ernie Davis) and Carl Eller (yeah THAT Carl Eller) both were drafted but said screw you to The Bills and went to play in the NFL. Actually, Ernie died before he paid a game for Cleveland. Jim Davidson was the other player drafted in the first who never played for the club.

SECOND PLACE - Mike Dennis - played 15 games

THIRD PLACE - Phil Dokes - played 22 games

FOURTH PLACE - Perry Tuttle - played 24 games

FIFTH PLACE - JP Losman - played 41 games as a Bill

SIXTH PLACE - - Terry Miller - played 48 games

SEVENTH PLACE - Tie: Mike Williams - played 51 games as a Bill as did Booker Moore

All of the above were picked in the First Round by The Bills.

For the record, Erik Flowers played 58 games and McCargo 39 - but he's still on the team and was a wash much of his rookie year and his position coach had a hard-on for him his third year - not unlike some of the posters here.

Four times, The Bills have had The Number One pick in The Draft

1969 - OJ Simpson

1972 - Walt Patulski

1979 - Tom Cousineau

1985 - Bruce Smith

We're batting .500 in the number 1 spot.

Good job Nanker. I think we've covered just about everyone.

Sharper brought up Tony Hunter. But we haven't really talked about him.

Hunter was the former Notre Dame tight end we drafted 12th overall in 1983…two picks BEFORE we drafted Jim Kelly.

Hunter only lasted in the NFL for four seasons, and was only with the Bills for two seasons. He played only 24 games with the Bills and a total of 47 NFL games.

Really amazing how many first rounders the Bills have missed on.

Even if Aaron Maybin's 2010 season is like his 2009 season exactly, after which he is cut and winds up in the UFL for the rest of his career, he can't live up to the top-5 and top-1 picks this team has botched. For that, he'd have to tear CJ Spiller's Achilles in training camp, take a drive-saving roughing the passer penalty on Brady denying us a sure victory, and broker a deal to move to team to San Antonio.

As it is, he's just a washout - 4-5 guys like him show up in the first round of every draft. And that's assuming he's really not going to improve.

Tom Cousineau is the biggest bust all-time for the Bills. He was the #1 overall pick, which we traded OJ Simpson to San Fran for. He refused to play for the Bills. Instead, he bolted to Canada for 3 years. When he tried to return to the NFL, the Oilers tried signing him where the Bills matched the offer then proceeded to trade him to the Browns where he was good but not great. What we did get for him is the 14th overall pick in the 1983 draft, which I think turned well as we picked a man by the name of Jim Kelly.

Upon further review, Ralph Wilson and the GM of the day were pretty retarded. They refused to fly up his agent and key executives were not there to greet him when he arrived in Buffalo. This in no way changes his stature as the biggest bust in franchise history.

I was surprised when the Bills recently added Torbor to the roster... and then moved him to ROLB. Then, with him getting first team reps in mini camp, it spoke volumes... at least to me.

This may or may not be a clear signal that Maybin may not cut it.

If so, I can't think of a bigger bust that the Bills have drafted in the first round than him. Erik Flowers and John McCargo would be close seconds. The Bills did get some production out of the likes of Patulski, Harmon, Gant, Hunter, Miller, Bell, and Losman. But, I can't remember any of the Bills being drafted as high as #11 and getting virtually nothing, in terms of production. At #8, Whitner certainly hasn't shown he was deserving of that, but he has given the Bills moderate production.

Lets look at Maybin for a moment. He was basically a one year wonder at Penn State. Not the most experienced player, especially considering where he was taken in the draft. He's now having to learn a new position. This may well take more than just some OTA's and mini-camps.

With that said, he was a bad pick in 2009 and a year later, he's shown nothing to change that. While he may prove to be a good player still, the likelihood seems to be diminishing rather quickly. With many here wishing for Orakpo and myself looking for Oher, this was yet another Bills first round disappointment for us. Will Maybin change our minds? It is looking like that won't be happening.

I remember being at the opener against the Saints and I believe he had a sack on the first play of the season that game. For about a split second we all thought we'd gotten a steal. Of course, his career went down the drain from there.....

After the preseason sack he then drew a penalty for excessive celebration. ;)

Also please remember that Bruce Smith looked like a big fat flabby flop in his rookie season too. Let's wait one more season before totally writing off Maybin.

PTR

Promo, your above statement has become a popular belief to use anytime a Bills rookie doesn't immediately have a stellar season.

I was against the Maybin pick and am not very optimistic for his future. But I agree with you that he deserves more time before we judge him.

That said, to your point above, Bruce Smith had 6.5 sacks in his rookie season and despite looking fat, his talent was obvious.

On the other hand, we haven't yet seen what the Bills thought they saw when they drafted Maybin.

Tom Cousineau is the biggest bust all-time for the Bills. He was the #1 overall pick, which we traded OJ Simpson to San Fran for. He refused to play for the Bills. Instead, he bolted to Canada for 3 years. When he tried to return to the NFL, the Oilers tried signing him where the Bills matched the offer then proceeded to trade him to the Browns where he was good but not great. What we did get for him is the 14th overall pick in the 1983 draft, which I think turned well as we picked a man by the name of Jim Kelly.

Upon further review, Ralph Wilson and the GM of the day were pretty retarded. They refused to fly up his agent and key executives were not there to greet him when he arrived in Buffalo. This in no way changes his stature as the biggest bust in franchise history.

Ironically, I think you defeat your own argument. Essentially, the Bills traded two years of a worn-out OJ for Jim Kelly. The only problem is the eight years in between....which was mitigated by also receiving a 2nd round pick in 1980 for OJ, which became Joe Cribbs. They got several other picks for OJ, too. We politely won't mention who they were :thumbsup:

Too early to tell, he's still very young, besides Mike Williams will forever be the biggest 1st round bust.

Agreed. I thought of Mike Williams also. Maybin may turn out ok. Bruce Smith stunk his first season in the NFL. I am not comparing Maybin to Burce.... no comparision! My point is that we have to see Maybin play this season before we can call him a bust or not.

That said, to your point above, Bruce Smith had 6.5 sacks in his rookie season and despite looking fat, his talent was obvious.

Bruce was also a 300-pounder and didn't get rag dolled like the 238 lbs Maybin did last season. We'll know right away at SJF if Maybin's stregth has come up to NFL standards, which should allow a better picture of his potential to emerge.

Wrong. There were three other guys who were drafted in the first round by The Bills and never played a down for them.

At least we got something for TC.

Lets look at Maybin for a moment. He was basically a one year wonder at Penn State. Not the most experienced player, especially considering where he was taken in the draft. He's now having to learn a new position. This may well take more than just some OTA's and mini-camps.

With that said, he was a bad pick in 2009 and a year later, he's shown nothing to change that. While he may prove to be a good player still, the likelihood seems to be diminishing rather quickly. With many here wishing for Orakpo and myself looking for Oher, this was yet another Bills first round disappointment for us. Will Maybin change our minds? It is looking like that won't be happening.

Seriously? He's shown nothing in non-contact OTA drills?

Yes, truly the worst pick ever. He should have had 3 or 4 sacks on the OTAs by now. :thumbsup:

Wrong. There were three other guys who were drafted in the first round by The Bills and never played a down for them.

That's BS! You can't count guys who signed with the NFL before the common draft. Since the common draft the only #1 who never played a down for the Bills is Cousineau.

As Albany eloquently puts it below, you can't hold the early AFL draft picks at the same value as the ones after the merger. Especially, Ernie Davis. To enter the common draft, be drafted #1, and refuse to play altogether just tells the team that they wasted a pick. To say that he wasn't a bust because the bills were able to trade his rights, is just kind way of saying it could have been worse for the bills in the long run.

That's BS! You can't count guys who signed with the NFL before the common draft. Since the common draft the only #1 who never played a down for the Bills is Cousineau.

Elway and Eli both refused to play for the teams that drafted them, however both of them were dealt that same year as opposed to 3 years later.

Promo, your above statement has become a popular belief to use anytime a Bills rookie doesn't immediately have a stellar season.

I was against the Maybin pick and am not very optimistic for his future. But I agree with you that he deserves more time before we judge him.

On the other hand, we haven't yet seen what the Bills thought they saw when they drafted Maybin.

I was not in favor of Maybin either, but to call him an obvious bust now is silly. As for Bruce, there was nothing obvious about his potential other than becoming a tub of lard. Smith had to turn it around. Trust me, if the internet were around back in the 80's Bruce Smith would have been panned mercilessly.

PTR

I was not in favor of Maybin either, but to call him an obvious bust now is silly. As for Bruce, there was nothing obvious about his potential other than becoming a tub of lard. Smith had to turn it around. Trust me, if the internet were around back in the 80's Bruce Smith would have been panned mercilessly.

PTR

I guess our memories of that 1985 season differ.

:thumbsup:

I am adding Tony Hunter to this list. In 1983 he was selected ahead of Jim Kelly with the 12th pick of the NFL draft from Notre Dame. We lose Kelly to the USFL and this guy lays an egg. That was the start of our consecutive 2-14 seasons. He ends up having 2 very medicore seasons with the Bills and 2 with LA Rams. Only had 1 full 16 game season with 50 receptions, that wasn't with the Bills. That's very low production for a 1st round pick at 12. Jim was our 14th pick, imagine if we had a better pick at 12. We missed out on Willie Gault, Henry Ellard and Roger Craig also two players who became Bills later on in Jim Jeffcoat and Leonard Smith. Might have won a Superbowl in the late 80's, we will never know.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tonyhunter/profile?id=HUN812853

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuntTo00.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback_c..._1983#Round_one

:thumbsup:

I am adding Tony Hunter to this list. In 1983 he was selected ahead of Jim Kelly with the 12th pick of the NFL draft from Notre Dame. We lose Kelly to the USFL and this guy lays an egg. That was the start of our consecutive 2-14 seasons. He ends up having 2 very medicore seasons with the Bills and 2 with LA Rams. Only had 1 full 16 game season with 50 receptions, that wasn't with the Bills. That's very low production for a 1st round pick at 12. Jim was our 14th pick, imagine if we had a better pick at 12. We missed out on Willie Gault, Henry Ellard and Roger Craig also two players who became Bills later on in Jim Jeffcoat and Leonard Smith. Might have won a Superbowl in the late 80's, we will never know.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tonyhunter/profile?id=HUN812853

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuntTo00.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback_c..._1983#Round_one

You're too late. Tony Hunter was already added to the list…twice.

Good job Nanker. I think we've covered just about everyone.

Sharper brought up Tony Hunter. But we haven't really talked about him.

Hunter was the former Notre Dame tight end we drafted 12th overall in 1983…two picks BEFORE we drafted Jim Kelly.

Hunter only lasted in the NFL for four seasons, and was only with the Bills for two seasons. He played only 24 games with the Bills and a total of 47 NFL games.

Really amazing how many first rounders the Bills have missed on.