I see my boy Luke Lawton is a bill again

and maybe send him to NFL Europe for some seasoning.......I think the kid is a player......

That is not to say that Shelton has done anything wrong...he has been a monster

142295[/snapback]

Good news, I too loved what I saw of this guy in the preseason, the little he got to play. He reminded me of a player from the the dreaded Cowboys back in their heyday. Remember a guy named Moose Johnson?

and maybe send him to NFL Europe for some seasoning.......I think the kid is a player......

142295[/snapback]

I was going to post something about Lawton earlier. He was a late cut as I recall, and I remember not liking that. Shelton was a quiet unknown at that point. In fact I think he was not very good at al in the first 4 games. I guess he was shaking the rust off after having been out of football in 2003. I know he's popular now, but I didn't think he started off very impressive this year. Seems to be on track now though.

I agree about Lawton. Europe would be good for him and I think he's a player worth keeping. Glad he's back.

Question(s): What do you think he's been doing since late August? Do you think TD was being calculating by releasing him when he did so he'd have little chance of catching on with another team? (you know sorta like assigning him to the jeopardy practice squad)

Good news, I too loved what I saw of this guy in the preseason, the little he got to play. He reminded me of a player from the the dreaded Cowboys back in their heyday. Remember a guy named Moose Johnson?

142300[/snapback]

Western NY native and former high school player of the year.

( I believe Lewiston-Porter ).

142313[/snapback]

I remember when the cowgirls picked him after hoping during that draft that the Bills would get him. I think that was '89 when we had no pick in the first 2 rounds (trade with indy and rams for a guy know as biscuit). Bebee was our first player taken that year. Got Carwell Gardner the next. Always regretted not getting Johnson though.

Question(s): What do you think he's been doing since late August? Do you think TD was being calculating by releasing him when he did so he'd have little chance of catching on with another team?

I thought I heard them say on the Entirely Sabres Report that until recently, he had been on the Giants PS.

I thought I heard them say on the Entirely Sabres Report that until recently, he had been on the Giants PS.

142360[/snapback]

I think that if he was on the Giants practice squad, the Bills would have to sign him to the 53 man roster instead of their PS. The league rule states something to the effect of, "you can't raid other teams practice squads only to enhance your own, you must active that player to your 53 man roster". :P

I think that if he was on the Giants practice squad, the Bills would have to sign him to the 53 man roster instead of their PS. The league rule states something to the effect of, "you can't raid other teams practice squads only to enhance your own, you must active that player to your 53 man roster".  :P

142378[/snapback]

I don't know the rules around practice squad players, but Lawton was on the Giants PS. This from the transaction wire:

October 15, 2004 Signed fullback Luke Lawton to their practice squad; released running back Clarence Farmer from the practice squad.

I don't see anything about the Giants releasing Lawton.

On another note the Giants yesterday released POS Marques Sullivan.

142313[/snapback]

I played with him on two teams in grade school. Funny thing is at that time he was not the best player on the team. Daryl's father was an assistent coach but man he was a harda$$. This was not the type of grade school football that you see today. They would treat you the same as in highschool He chewed out the first person he saw. I used to have a team picture that we were both in. Man, hard to believe he had a great career. He was very good at the Cuse also. I think that is dad pushed him so hard that he was bound to do well. He's got a great Mom and Dad(don't know if dad is still alive)

I remember when the cowgirls picked him after hoping during that draft that the Bills would get him. I think that was '89 when we had no pick in the first 2 rounds (trade with indy and rams for a guy know as biscuit). Bebee was our first player taken that year. Got Carwell Gardner the next. Always regretted not getting Johnson though.

142322[/snapback]

Got to be earlier than 89 right??

Only problem with NFLE is that they don't use fullbacks much. They have a standard offensive playbook which in previous years has been single back, spread offense - often 4 WRs.

142421[/snapback]

Good point! Lawton would likely waist(AW) his time in Europe.

I don't know the rules around practice squad players, but Lawton was on the Giants PS.  This from the transaction wire:

October 15, 2004 Signed fullback Luke Lawton to their practice squad; released running back Clarence Farmer from the practice squad.

I don't see anything about the Giants releasing Lawton.

On another note the Giants yesterday released POS Marques Sullivan.

142386[/snapback]

Its my understanding also that the rule is that if you sign a player off another team's PS, you must activate him to your 53 man playing roster.

The rules can relatvely quickly change as the growing partnership between the NFL and NFLPA negotiates redefinitions and fine-tunings, but it seems more likely that between 10/15 and recently the Giants cut him from their PS to stockpile back-ups at some other position where they had injuries or used more frequently than their FB.

The need is still there to stop teams from raiding each others PS to get intelligence about upcoming opponents and then to simply cut the player.

I think that if he was on the Giants practice squad, the Bills would have to sign him to the 53 man roster instead of their PS. The league rule states something to the effect of, "you can't raid other teams practice squads only to enhance your own, you must active that player to your 53 man roster".  :w00t:

142378[/snapback]

I think you're correct. The Panthers signed a speedy wr/kr from the B'gals PS in October, rookie Jamall Broussard, and he went on their 53-man roster. Still on it, afaik.

Didn't get to see Lawton play much, but I got to speak with him a while along the chain link fence after practice in Peets-ford last summer. He left an impression on me as a kid who just wanted a chance to show what he had. You could see the 'dream' in his eyes - just wants to play in the NFL. He took the time to goof around with my grandkids a bit too. Reminded me of the type of character players had back in the 60's.

142295[/snapback]

I'm glad to see Lawton added too. He really stood out to me. He's quick, hits hard and is a very fluid pass receiver. He's not the ton of bricks Shelton is, but he's a better athlete.