OT: DVD burning software

TracyLee

I tried. I really did. I got to page 63 and kept plugging along, and then looked up and realized there were another 20 pages to this, and then turned around again and realized that while I was reading this, my newborn son had learned to walk.

Sweet mother of Jesus. This one is a classic.

I tried. I really did. I got to page 63 and kept plugging along, and then looked up and realized there were another 20 pages to this, and then turned around again and realized that while I was reading this, my newborn son had learned to walk.

Sweet mother of Jesus. This one is a classic.

145691[/snapback]

Good, then teach him to walk to the bathroom on his own then.

Is this the part where you lay naked on the couch with a jar of peanut butter and call the dog?

145604[/snapback]

I don't own a dog....Just am a happy and proud fan of the

2004 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION BOSTON RED SOX.....

I don't own a dog....Just am a happy and proud fan of the

2004 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION BOSTON RED SOX.....

145825[/snapback]

Isn't the phrase, "Boston Red Sox" trademarked or copyrighted or something? Can T-Bone (hypothetically) go to jail or be fined for proclaiming his fandom?

CW

Guest Guest_Buffalo Dave_*
You're at least peripherially involved in the computer industry, right?  Think of the typical software EULA...to put it simply, it allows "exclusive use".  Which means that you can sell or give me your Windows ME installation CDs (not that I'd want them), IF you uninstall it from your machines first.  Same basic principle at work here: you can give me your "Howard the Duck" DVD when you're done with it (again, not that I'd want it), and it's legal because my use of it then precludes your use.

Your webcam idea, though...technically that would be a broadcast.  For it to be legal, I'd imagine your friend would at the very least have to pay royalties.

142583[/snapback]

Actually you are uniformed about the most famous EULA of all - Microsoft's EULA for Windows XP. In that license, it states that license is cleary not transferable to any other motherboard. And in a point of fact - if you change your own motherboard - EVEN to REPAIR it, you must buy a new copy of windows. That license has ceased to exist and the copies of the media must be destroyed or returned to microsoft.

Sounds wacked, no? But I have clarified this with microsoft legal department.

To reiterate - if you lose your motherboard, you must buy a new copy of windows xp.

Which begs the question, is it unethical to flaunt an unethical business arrrangement? And is it morally wrong for a minor to cheat on a adult or corporate cheater?

Which begs the question, is it unethical to flaunt an unethical business arrrangement? And is it morally wrong for a minor to cheat on a adult or corporate cheater?

145855[/snapback]

That all depends.

I'm not certain about you, but the most unethical business arrangement I've seen flaunted recently is the hookers plying their wares on the east end of the Lincoln Tunnel. :rolleyes:

Regarding the minor, if it's a particular clever ploy, the morals and ethics board might award enough style points to lessen the penalty to no jail time at all - just a stern admonition to do the right thing the next time, and give the little tyke enough publicity so they'll be assured of a nice fat book deal to make all their legal inconvenience in fact worthwhile.

Actually you are uniformed about the most famous EULA of all - Microsoft's EULA for Windows XP. In that license, it states that license is cleary not transferable to any other motherboard. And in a point of fact - if you change your own motherboard - EVEN to REPAIR it, you must buy a new copy of windows. That license has ceased to exist and the copies of the media must be destroyed or returned to microsoft.

Sounds wacked, no? But I have clarified this with microsoft legal department.

To reiterate - if you lose your motherboard, you must buy a new copy of windows xp.

145855[/snapback]

No, I'm not uninformed...I'm aware their EULA is so nit-picky as to be a per-machine license. I was NOT, however, aware that they took it to the extreme of a per-motherboard level. That, frankly, is insane.

And yes, I would violate that copyright wholeheartedly, as I do not consider it even remotely ethical to dictate to someone what their personal use of a licensed media product should be. It's the equivalent of saying I can only watch the DVDs I purchase on the DVD player for which they were originally intended...and if I get a new DVD player, I have to buy all new DVDs. That, frankly, is stevestojan.

No, I'm not uninformed...I'm aware their EULA is so nit-picky as to be a per-machine license.  I was NOT, however, aware that they took it to the extreme of a per-motherboard level.  That, frankly, is insane.

And yes, I would violate that copyright wholeheartedly, as I do not consider it even remotely ethical to dictate to someone what their personal[/i use of a licensed media product should be.  It's the equivalent of saying I can [i]only watch the DVDs I purchase on the DVD player for which they were originally intended...and if I get a new DVD player, I have to buy all new DVDs.  That, frankly, is stevestojan.

145947[/snapback]

And that's why MSFT has never tried to enforce this particular breach of EULA, because they don't want to meet Pandora in court.

Isn't the phrase, "Boston Red Sox" trademarked or copyrighted or something?  Can T-Bone (hypothetically) go to jail or be fined for proclaiming his fandom?

CW

145848[/snapback]

No, that's free speech.

He can be fined or jailed if he uses the "Boston Red Sox" mark to make money.

(come on, isn't this beast going to make it to 1000)?

No, that's free speech.

He can be fined or jailed if he uses the "Boston Red Sox" mark to make money.

(come on, isn't this beast going to make it to 1000)?

146206[/snapback]

What happens then, does it turn into a pumpkin?

Interesting note, the Redskins served notice to some of the local radio and tv stations not to use their name a couple years back. Seems it was infringing on their right to the team name.

What happens then, does it turn into a pumpkin?

Interesting note, the Redskins served notice to some of the local radio and tv stations not to use their name a couple years back.  Seems it was infringing on their right to the team name.

146210[/snapback]

I think all temas did that last year. Empire made a sport of it. The key thing was not that their name could not be used but could only be used in appropriate context. It's mostly about not using the team name illegally to "sell product." IIRC, they stretched it a bit in saying that calling a program "the Bills Report," for example, violates fair use of the Bills name, unless you have paid the license (like official stations of the Bills have done). It doesn't even matter that you have a player, coach, or even a member of the front office as the host of the show. The same reason you can see products with player endorsements yet when they are wearing their uniform it seems to be missing the team logos...

And that's why MSFT has never tried to enforce this particular breach of EULA, because they don't want to meet Pandora in court.

145950[/snapback]

As if it's a suprise Microshaft would do something like that. To bad MacOS is uselesss for anything but publishing apps.

145950[/snapback]

Yeah, it certainly stretches the concept of "fair use." I thought their EULA also said that you have to be Bill Gates' towel boy...

And as far as businesses acting unethically, I believe it has been proven that ethics play no role in Microsoft's business practices. In fact, I dare say that even the law only has a limited, advisory role in Microsoft's business practices...

Yeah, it certainly stretches the concept of "fair use."  I thought their EULA also said that you have to be Bill Gates' towel boy...

And as far as businesses acting unethically, I believe it has been proven that ethics play no role in Microsoft's business practices.  In fact, I dare say that even the law only has a limited, advisory role in Microsoft's business practices...

148814[/snapback]

Not even. The law simply exists to let Microsoft know what they can and can't talk about in public...