Leodis Mckelvin

Guest dog14787

Guest dog14787

Every year I pick a player who is an unknown or underdog, someone who rises above expectations and takes it to the next level. I started out with Jabari Greer a few years back whom despite my original expectations went on to do very well in the NFL, last year it was TE, Jonathan Stupar. This year I'm back to the CB position and with a young fella that is not an underdog or an unknown but was the Buffalo Bills first round draft pick, drafted 11th overall in the 2008 NFL Draft, Leodis Mckelvin.

On September 14, 2009, in the opening game of Monday Night Football, McKelvin caught a kickoff in his own endzone with Buffalo up 24-19 over the New England Patriots and 2:06 left in the game. He chose to return it instead of downing the ball and fumbled around the 30 yard line. It was his second fumble of the game. New England drove from the 31 yard line for what turned out to be the winning touchdown.

Most Bills fans know what followed, but in case some of you missed it Mckelvins home was vandalized, obscenities sprayed onto his lawn with a message, telling him to take a knee. The forgiving person that Mckelvin is, when the teenage vandals were caught Leodis refused to press charges.

The fans on the other hand have not been so forgiving and Loedis Mckelvin despite developing into what in my opinion is a pro bowl caliber CB in the makings is still disliked by some Bills fans because of the costly blunder.

Folks its time to forgive and forget,

The one thing that DJ did right was put together one of the best groups of CB's in the NFL. With the likes of the ever so dangerous Terrence McGee and the emergence of Jairus "the Bird man" Byrd, putting the ball in the air against the Bills defense is like throwing into the teeth of a pack of hungry wolves.

Leodis Mckelvin is gearing up for a breakout season in my opinion as he prepares himself to help a young and talented Buffalo Bills Football team make some serious noise in the AFC East.

I Billieve...

Leodis is disliked by many Bills fans? Really? I never got that impression.

McKelvin is a great athlete and by all accounts a hard worker and a good guy. There's no reason to think he will do anything other that continue to improve. If he stays on the field he will be one of the team's defensive standouts.

There were actually signs last offseason and into the training camp and preseason that Leodis had actually regressed.

We'll never really know because then he got injured very early on.

However so far this offseason during OTAs, he's intercepted and gotten his hands on a lot of passes. So I'm very hopeful that he'll be the player we all know he can be.

The biggest thing to me is that, as dog pointed out, Leodis handled things really well last year, considering what he had to deal with.

Could you imagine if it was Marshawn Lynch in Leodis' shoes, fumbling a kickoff which ends up costing us the game and the subsequent vandalism?

How would Marshawn have reacted? Kudos to McKelvin. Here's hoping he arrives in his third season.

Guest dog14787
What is a probowl CB in the making?

I love Byrd's play last year too, but let's see if he can string two years in a row together before we anoint him, Jesus II, The King of Spain.

Awww, come on man,

Its DJ's recipe, I just poured him into a bowl for you to read and digest,

Geeesh, what do you expect from a Holy Trent Worshiper <_<

Guest dog14787

McKelvin is a great athlete and by all accounts a hard worker and a good guy. There's no reason to think he will do anything other that continue to improve. If he stays on the field he will be one of the team's defensive standouts.

Good to see you posting again, this place is getting more and more boring by the minute, (many was a poor choice of words and a bit presumptuous on my part/revised)

Well, you know me Dean, I tend to stretch reality a bit from time to time,( when Lori lets me get away with it) but actually some of my relatives are still bitter about the Patriots game and express a genuine dislike for Leodis Mckelvin because of it.

It may not speak well for some of my relatives, most whom are in and around the Buffalo area, but it is what it is, what can I say.

what happened against new england was not leodis' fault, it was the fault of the coaching staff. when he was going out on the field coach jauron should have said "you catch that ball in the endzone, boy you take a knee" but i guarantee he didnt. that is poor coaching, jauron coaching, 3 exrta losses a year coaching, fired coaching.

There were actually signs last offseason and into the training camp and preseason that Leodis had actually regressed.

We'll never really know because then he got injured very early on.

However so far this offseason during OTAs, he's intercepted and gotten his hands on a lot of passes. So I'm very hopeful that he'll be the player we all know he can be.

The biggest thing to me is that, as dog pointed out, Leodis handled things really well last year, considering what he had to deal with.

Could you imagine if it was Marshawn Lynch in Leodis' shoes, fumbling a kickoff which ends up costing us the game and the subsequent vandalism?

How would Marshawn have reacted? Kudos to McKelvin. Here's hoping he arrives in his third season.

Other than the fumble in the NE game what were the regressive signs?

Other than the fumble in the NE game what were the regressive signs?

There were multiple reports from training camp (including one from Lori) which stated that he was getting beaten quite a bit in practices. Also, he didn't look good in preseason last year either.

Maybe (and it's only an opinion) he thought his second season was gonna be easier because he had a pretty decent rookie year.

Anyways, I like Leodis and think he'll do well.

outside of right after that game, I don't recall any general ill will towards him.

Yeah, he actually joked about his neighbor being kind enough to cut his lawn and he didn't press charges against those kids.

He really handled it well…I have no idea how I would have reacted to the vandalism.

Guest dog14787
what happened against new england was not leodis' fault, it was the fault of the coaching staff. when he was going out on the field coach jauron should have said "you catch that ball in the endzone, boy you take a knee" but i guarantee he didnt. that is poor coaching, jauron coaching, 3 exrta losses a year coaching, fired coaching.

Hard to dispute as much because returning the ball for the score and making a game breaking play is what players like Leodis Mckelvin live for and unless he's told otherwise, that's exactly what McKelvin has in mind.

I think if the Bills improve enough to at least be competitive just about all the veterans will look much improved. If they have anything to play for after the 4th game of the season it would do wonders for "talent" levels. If the defense had any hope that the offense could score a touchdown, they likely wouldn't feel like their efforts are useless. "Go out there and break a leg for the coach" and "Go out there and play on that twisted ankle, here's a career threatening shot, we're only down by 20, and the offense hasn't scored a touchdown in 2 weeks".

All these guys have been out of the running so early each season, that it's basically playing for personal stats and a paycheck.

Good to see you posting again, this place is getting more and more boring by the minute, (many was a poor choice in words and a bit presumptuous on my part/revised)

Well, you know me Dean, I tend to stretch reality a bit from time to time,( when Lori lets me get away with it) but actually some of my relatives are still bitter about the Patriots game and express a genuine dislike for Leodis Mckelvin because of it.

It may not speak well for some of my relatives, most whom are in and around the Buffalo area, but it is what it is, what can I say.

Well, the next time they bring that up don't forget to tell them that if it WEREN'T for that fumble, Dickless Jauron would likely still be the HC of The Bills.

Leodis and Andy Levitre were the two coolest Bills as far as signing autographs last year at camp one day when you could tell they just wanted to get back to the showers and the dorm after a hot day. All the other players took off and those guys just hung in there politely and cranked out pics and sigs for quite awhile. Made my kids day.

Chalk me up for the Leodis is Very Cool Club.

Hard to dispute as much because returning the ball for the score and making a game breaking play is what players like Leodis Mckelvin live for and unless he's told otherwise, that's exactly what McKelvin has in mind.

[/quot

leodis will excel in man coverage

You guys still don't get it. It was the right decision to bring it out. Very good chance the run back gets you past the two minute warning and then it is three kneel downs and game over. He holds onto the ball and DJ probably still has a job. Well maybe not with AVP as OC. Hopefully Leodis, Byrd, Lil Donte, Wilson, Florence, McGee and Corner get enough pass rush from the front seven to show off their skills.

Every year I pick a player who is an unknown or underdog, someone who rises above expectations and takes it to the next level. I started out with Jabari Greer a few years back whom despite my original expectations went on to do very well in the NFL, last year it was TE, Jonathan Stupar. This year I'm back to the CB position and with a young fella that is not an underdog or an unknown but was the Buffalo Bills first round draft pick, drafted 11th overall in the 2008 NFL Draft, Leodis Mckelvin.

On September 14, 2009, in the opening game of Monday Night Football, McKelvin caught a kickoff in his own endzone with Buffalo up 24-19 over the New England Patriots and 2:06 left in the game. He chose to return it instead of downing it and fumbled it around the 30 yard line. It was his second fumble of the game. New England drove from the 31 yard line for what turned out to be the winning touchdown.

Most Bills fans know what followed, but in case some of you missed it Mckelvins home was vandalized, obscenities sprayed onto his lawn with a message, telling him to take a knee. The forgiving person that Mckelvin is, when the teenage vandals were caught Leodis refused to press charges.

The fans on the other hand have not been so forgiving and Loedis Mckelvin despite developing into what in my opinion is a pro bowl caliber CB in the makings is still disliked by some Bills fans because of the costly blunder.

Folks its time to forgive and forget,

The one thing that DJ did right was put together one of the best groups of CB's in the NFL. With the likes of the ever so dangerous Terrence McGee and the emergence of Jairus "the Bird man" Byrd, putting the ball in the air against the Bills defense is like throwing into the teeth of a pack of hungry wolves.

Leodis Mckelvin is gearing up for a breakout season in my opinion as he prepares himself to help a young and talented Buffalo Bills Football team make some serious noise in the AFC East.

I Billieve...

Does a moderately impressive #11 overall pick in his third season really constitute an "unknown" or an "underdog?" Kudos to at least talking about someone other than the usual suspects.

You guys still don't get it. It was the right decision to bring it out. Very good chance the run back gets you past the two minute warning and then it is three kneel downs and game over. He holds onto the ball and DJ probably still has a job. Well maybe not with AVP as OC. Hopefully Leodis, Byrd, Lil Donte, Wilson, Florence, McGee and Corner get enough pass rush from the front seven to show off their skills.

+1

Exactly. In addition, Leodis wasn't 100% sure he was ENTIRELY in the endzone, and didn't want to risk downing the ball at the 1 yard line. I remember people got pissed off at him when he said that if he had the option to do it again, he would - that's not bad football, that's him making the right decision and actually making the SAFER play, instead of risking the ball being downed at the 1 yard line. The only thing that Leodis did wrong with that was fight for extra yardage, giving the NE players an extra 2 seconds to strip the ball out - and even then, who doesn't fight for extra yards anyways?

Exactly. In addition, Leodis wasn't 100% sure he was ENTIRELY in the endzone, and didn't want to risk downing the ball at the 1 yard line. I remember people got pissed off at him when he said that if he had the option to do it again, he would - that's not bad football, that's him making the right decision and actually making the SAFER play, instead of risking the ball being downed at the 1 yard line. The only thing that Leodis did wrong with that was fight for extra yardage, giving the NE players an extra 2 seconds to strip the ball out - and even then, who doesn't fight for extra yards anyways?

The bold part is the issue, IMO. The coaches should have told him if you're going to run it out, go down after you get hit. Fighting for the extra yard was the stupid part, not the decision to run it out. That yard gets us nothing, and is a huge risk, low reward play. You don't fight for extra yards on a return like that. Most of the time you do. This time, however, it was pointless.

Guest dog14787
The bold part is the issue, IMO. The coaches should have told him if you're going to run it out, go down after you get hit. Fighting for the extra yard was the stupid part, not the decision to run it out. That yard gets us nothing, and is a huge risk, low reward play. You don't fight for extra yards on a return like that. Most of the time you do. This time, however, it was pointless.

It was my biggest beef, if Mckelvin just protects the ball better and goes down we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I suppose its also possible DJ could still be HC of the Buffalo Bills If we go on to win that game and TE probably wouldn't be fighting to keep his job.

Beating the Patriots on opening day would have stood for something and it was so close you could almost taste it.

Agreed. The fault wasn't coming out, it was FUMBLING THE DAMN BALL! Okay, I'm better. Leodis is a great talent and he's moved on from that fumble with class and so should we. You can't beat up Jauron for playing not to lose and then beat him up for trying to win a game with his best returner. DJ was a bad coach but not every thing he did was wrong. Bottom line, the return guy fumbled at the worst possible time in what would have been our biggest victory of the year. It's on Leodis and he accepted that and he'll be the better for it.