***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia just scored, if the score stands does that mean we would play Australia or Ghana?

Ghana - goal differential is the tie-breaker

EDIT: which is now +2 in Ghana's favor - so Australia needs a combination of another three goals by Germany and Australia to move into second outright or another two to tie Ghana then go to a "draw of lots"

Gotta love our bracket (world rankings in parentheses):

[uSA (14), Uruguay (16), Ghana (32), South Korea (47)]

versus

[Germany (6), Argentina (7), England (8), Mexico (17)]

And then you've got to figure that all of the top 5 make it in the other two brackets: Spain, Brazil, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal (although Spain and Italy are more or less in a must-win situation for their game 3's).

Nevertheless, I'm really worried about Ghana. A good team, but mostly because you figure the FIFA refs will continue to do everything in their power to !@#$ over the USA and keep what will likely be the only African team still going...

Question from a soccer dummy

I'm assuming that the "knock out" round means you lose you go home? What happens with ties?

No ties. If it is tied at the end of regulation, it goes to extra time.

Yep - two 15 min halves - then, if still tied, on to 5 rounds of penalty kicks (shooutout) - then single elimination rounds of penalty kicks if still tied after the first 5 rounds

Told you AJ.

Now let's hope Italy follows suit.

:censored:

I will be rooting for them, for sure. This is shaping up to be an awesome WC, with many of the major players hitting the round of 16...Argentina is still my pick, with Uruguay being my upset special, and the US now being my dark horse :thumbsup:

DAMMIT I wish I were unemployed like Pete lmfao

these last sets of games in group play followed by knockout round is where the game really starts to open up and you see the more attractive, attacking futbol for the most part. love it

:censored:

Win or gtfo, baby....just as it should be!

Yep - two 15 min halves - then, if still tied, on to 5 rounds of penalty kicks (shooutout) - then single elimination rounds of penalty kicks if still tied after the first 5 rounds

Thanks. Odd that there are different rules depending on the round, but the MLB all star game determines home field for the Series so what the heck!

Thanks. Odd that there are different rules depending on the round, but the MLB all star game determines home field for the Series so what the heck!

i think you missed the point sphere of beer. Think of the rules kinda like hockey: If tied you go to Overtime, at the end of two 15 minute halves, It goes to penalty kicks where each team alternates through 5 rounds of penalty kicks, If still tied it keeps going until one team scores and the other doesn't for that given round of penalty kicks.

Ya know, people have to be getting pissed. Now Americans are really getting into soccer and getting good at it. It's soon going to finally be one more sport we !@#$ing dominate in. Sucks to be from anywhere else.

Let's not get too excited, a recent survey determined that 99.65% of Americans couldn't find Algeria on a world map.