***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

Bye Bye Domenech.

And I think there might be a slight chance that SA passes Mexico for that second slot. Mexico is down 1-0 and SA is up 2-0. Right now if results held true they both would hav 4 points. Mexico is currently up 2 with goals difference. If Uruguay and SA could score another each we might both get our wish- adios Mexico and au revoir France

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I think there might be a slight chance that SA passes Mexico for that second slot. Mexico is down 1-0 and SA is up 2-0. Right now if results held true they both would hav 4 points. Mexico is currently up 2 with goals difference. If Uruguay and SA could score another each we might both get our wish- adios Mexico and au revoir France

Oh wouldn't that be sweet

That is assuming they have a TV, cable, and um uh electricity. I can't picture people in North Korea watching that game

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/worl...elevision_N.htm

It was supposed to be North Korea's moment of glory, a revenge match against Portugal aired live for the first time in a communist country that exerts strict control over media coverage.

It ended up a 7-0 humiliating loss that crushed the team's World Cup dreams as North Koreans watched back home — perhaps having the opposite effect intended by a leadership seeking to rally solidarity in the impoverished nation by showing the match live.

Brazil also needed penalties to beat Italy in 94. France needed penalties to beat Italy in 98. Brazil needed most of the big opponents to be knocked out by horrid refereeing in 2002. Argentina needed a handball in 1986. Yes 1982 was a nice team. Do you remember how bad they were in the first round? 3 points in 3 games?

No I've never played soccer at any level. Does that mean anything? Did Jose Mourinho play soccer? You don't have to play a sport to understand the game.

Argentina was the best team yet they couldn't get passed Germany? South America is known for producing the most "talented" of players. Only Brazil has shown any ability to really get results from that. The rest have failed more often than not. You play to win the game, not to !@#$ing impress fan boys with nice moves and dekes.

Remember that Champions League is about 2 games. Mourinho knew he had a better team than Chelsea and he showed up with 4 strikers in London. Won the game 1-0 and walked away. On the other hand, he played the perfect strategy against Barceona. Remember that Cambiasso got wrongfully sent off due to Pique's clear dive (where he was caught peeking at the ref to see if a card was given).

It's Inter's fault that Ribery got a red card? That's how the cards fell. They would have won either way. You think Bayern Munich would have gotten in the way of the treble? Go see how many titles JM will win in Spain. You could bet Barca fans will have nightmares of him.

Yes I don't watch EPL or Spanish League. I do have other things to do in life so I follow AS Roma, but I also know what goes on in the other leagues and follow Champions League.

So seriously enough with the random tidbits about things that should have happened differently. In every sport, in every title, you could list **** that "should" have happened.

So anyways, keep gloating about Argentina. Chances are you won't see them have 4 stars on the shirt in your lifetime :thumbsup:

I always have this discussion with friends. What is better? To give a good show, to play the game by creating and not destroying or win at all costs eve if that means 11 players "hanging up by the cossbar" (argentinian expression).

It is evident that creating a team very strong in the defensive side first, is the closest way to win in the WCs. I don't have to like it by I understand it. Did I like Italy in that last tournament? No, not at all, in fact I think I watched that game solely because I wanted Hector Elizondo (ref) to call a good, solid game.

I prefer to play a good game, so that I can be visually entertained, probably is the only sport where I don't apreciate a defensive struggle, where the action occurs only in the middle of the field with no shot at goals. Don't confuse that with a low scoring game, just because teams couldn't score doesn't mean they didn't play a good, entertaining match.

Soccer is a game, therefore you play because is fun, and it's fun to play it (non profesional) because you don't worry about defense, you worry about making goals, because they're fun. In the WC, I don't appreciate much teams' overall mindset, a lot more worried about how to stop the rival instead of thinking how to score.

Look at the african teams, when they first started to play in WCs they were fresh, naive, but fresh, they would play their style of soccer and they were entertaining and a lot more dangerous than what they are today. Now they hire this european coaches going against their instincts with a ball at their feet and it's a shame because they reggresed big time, they were fun to watch.

I always have this discussion with friends. What is better? To give a good show, to play the game by creating and not destroying or win at all costs eve if that means 11 players "hanging up by the cossbar" (argentinian expression).

It is evident that creating a team very strong in the defensive side first, is the closest way to win in the WCs. I don't have to like it by I understand it. Did I like Italy in that last tournament? No, not at all, in fact I think I watched that game solely because I wanted Hector Elizondo (ref) to call a good, solid game.

I prefer to play a good game, so that I can be visually entertained, probably is the only sport where I don't apreciate a defensive struggle, where the action occurs only in the middle of the field with no shot at goals. Don't confuse that with a low scoring game, just because teams couldn't score doesn't mean they didn't play a good, entertaining match.

Soccer is a game, therefore you play because is fun, and it's fun to play it (non profesional) because you don't worry about defense, you worry about making goals, because they're fun. In the WC, I don't appreciate much teams' overall mindset, a lot more worried about how to stop the rival instead of thinking how to score.

Look at the african teams, when they first started to play in WCs they were fresh, naive, but fresh, they would play their style of soccer and they were entertaining and a lot more dangerous than what they are today. Now they hire this european coaches going against their instincts with a ball at their feet and it's a shame because they reggresed big time, they were fun to watch.

I see your point.

Of course let me ask you the crucial question. You as a Bills fan (assuming?), would you care if the Bills won the Superbowl playing lights or it doesn't matter? Me personally, you play to win the game. Of course I wish that the Italians could produce flamboyant star creative players that could entertain and win but that is rarely the case.

I will tell you one thing though. In 2002, Trappatoni played for 1-0. At 1-0, he'd put in an extra defensive mid and tighten up ship. Probably why Korea ended up scoring the equalizer and the OT winner. On the other hand, in 2006, every game Italy played besides Australia (due to a red card) and France, they played attacking. Remember that in 2006, in OT against Germany, they put in 4 attackers leaving the midfield very exposed.

So for me, 2006 was not a defensive team, 2006 was a very well balanced team that could entertain and win. That is the definition of Marcello Lippi calcio.

I have watched every game of the tournament (well today I have been flipping back and forth between the games) and the Nigeria- South Korea game just might be the best game of the tournament so far! Check it out-still 20 minutes left

I have watched every game of the tournament (well today I have been flipping back and forth between the games) and the Nigeria- South Korea game just might be the best game of the tournament so far! Check it out-still 20 minutes left

Nigeria had SO many chances...bummed out for my friend here at work who is Nigerian

South africa becomes the first host country NOT to advance. Seems to me this is a rather fitting curse from the soccer gods for unleashing those horrifying horns on the rest of the world.

South africa becomes the first host country NOT to advance. Seems to me this is a rather fitting curse from the soccer gods for unleashing those horrifying horns on the rest of the world.

Agreed. As much as I would have loved seeing Mexico bounced, anything that reduces the # of SA fans is a plus.

I can't wait til tomorrow! HUGE day for all involved. If the USA and Germany both don't make it out of their groups, I'm gonna be bummed.

Now that SA has been bounced, can FIFA get its heads out of its collective butt

and nuke those stupid vuvuzelas. FIFA's position was that the vuvuzela was part of the

culture / soccer experience in SA. Now they are out,,I say out with the acursed

noise maker.

As for France, since they got into the WC with a tainted win over

Ireland (Pierre Henry handball), I think it is a little bit

of poetic justice that they got bounced....

GO USA

Pete,,,thanks for that video A+

Another reason to abhor French football.

The French coach REFUSED to shake the hand of the coach

of South Africa after the loss....

What a maroon ..

Pete,,,thanks for that video A+

Another reason to abhor French football.

The French coach REFUSED to shake the hand of the coach

of South Africa after the loss....

What a maroon ..

I love this blog entry:

If the French National team managed to accomplish one thing during the 2010 World Cup, it was too reinforce every negative stereotype against France.

Putting the final touch on a truly classless performance on the field and off was French coach Raymond Domenech, who refused to shake hands with South African coach Carlos Alberto Parreira, following South Africa's 2-1 victory over the French.