Albums You Didn't Realize Were as Good as they Are

ajzepp

My music collection has grown by leaps and bounds over the last several years, thanks in large part to the discussions we've had on here. Anyway, a while back I bought the Jason Mraz album, "We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things." It's the one that has "I'm Yours", which was a song I really liked a lot when it first hit the airwaves. Anyway, I've since come to realize that this is a GREAT album, top to bottom. I really try not to buy an entire CD when it's only one or two songs I like, and I wouldn't have picked this up if not for such great reviews, but it's only recently that I really got around to listening to the rest of the tracks. I'm really impressed with this guy and will probably buy more of his stuff.

I tend to have a bit of ADD when it comes to music, and I prefer to have my songs shuffled up and going from one artist to the next. I don't typically prefer to listen to an album straight through. But if there is enough variety among the cuts and the writing is good, I can really get into it (see: Amos Lee).

So anyway, what albums do you guys and gals have in your collection that you didn't give enough of a chance to impress you the first time around?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m sure there are hundreds. My first impression of an album is often wrong. These are the ones I can think of right now...

Led Zeppelin – Presence. Back in high school, I thought it was weak. Now it’s the only Zeppelin record that seems to have aged well.

Talking Heads – Remain in Light. I don’t know why, but I used to not like it. Now I think it’s a masterpiece.

Silver Jews – Bright Flight. I love the Silver Jews. When this album came out, I thought it was a huge disappointment. Now after a few years I think it’s great.

Flaming Lips – The Soft Bulletin. I was pissed that their guitarist, Ronald Jones, left the band. When this album came out, it was a completely different sound for them. Instead of the guitar sound I was used to, it was all synth-ey and it sounded wimpy and stupid to me. I came to love it.

My music collection has grown by leaps and bounds over the last several years, thanks in large part to the discussions we've had on here. Anyway, a while back I bought the Jason Mraz album, "We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things." It's the one that has "I'm Yours", which was a song I really liked a lot when it first hit the airwaves. Anyway, I've since come to realize that this is a GREAT album, top to bottom. I really try not to buy an entire CD when it's only one or two songs I like, and I wouldn't have picked this up if not for such great reviews, but it's only recently that I really got around to listening to the rest of the tracks. I'm really impressed with this guy and will probably buy more of his stuff.

I tend to have a bit of ADD when it comes to music, and I prefer to have my songs shuffled up and going from one artist to the next. I don't typically prefer to listen to an album straight through. But if there is enough variety among the cuts and the writing is good, I can really get into it (see: Amos Lee).

So anyway, what albums do you guys and gals have in your collection that you didn't give enough of a chance to impress you the first time around?

I have that album on my computer, but haven't listened to every song. Maybe I'll take another shot at it. :cry:

Only one album comes to my mind right now: Modest Mouse- Good News for People Who Love Bad News.

I didn't really like it at first, but after a couple listens I ended up absolutely loving it.

For me it was the band Royal Trux. Took me fifteen years of buying their records and seeing them play before I "got" it. When they finally did click they became one of my favorite bands.

On the flip side is Radiohead. I have bought, and rejected, probably 5 radiohead albums over the years. I don't think I'll ever find that band anything more than boring as a dog's ass

For me it was the band Royal Trux. Took me fifteen years of buying their records and seeing them play before I "got" it. When they finally did click they became one of my favorite bands.

I love Royal Trux. Cats & Dogs and Thank You are my favorites. Got to see them live once, opening for Pavement. Neil Haggerty's guitar always sounded "dirty" in a very satisfying way.

Flaming Lips – The Soft Bulletin. I was pissed that their guitarist, Ronald Jones, left the band. When this album came out, it was a completely different sound for them. Instead of the guitar sound I was used to, it was all synth-ey and it sounded wimpy and stupid to me. I came to love it.

Yeah, it took me a couple of listens to love The Soft Bulletin as well. Now it's one of my favorite albums.

Tom Waits: "Rain Dogs"

bought it because it was critically acclaimed when first came out. upon first listen, thought it was a pile of noise. never revisited it for 2 or 3 years until i was looking through my vinyl collection and decided to give it one more spin. holy mother of god, was i wrong.

it's an album that now ranks among my top 10.

jw

Walter Becker's "11 Tracks of Whack". It was so different from what I expected, I really didn't give it a chance. It is pretty brilliant, actually, but not as good as his 2008 release "Circus Money", which also takes a while to "get".

Tom Waits: "Rain Dogs"

bought it because it was critically acclaimed when first came out. upon first listen, thought it was a pile of noise. never revisited it for 2 or 3 years until i was looking through my vinyl collection and decided to give it one more spin. holy mother of god, was i wrong.

it's an album that now ranks among my top 10.

jw

Did anyone here see Tom Waits at the Century Theatre circa 1974, probably opening for hmmmm, Bonnie Raitt?

The double live LP Nighthawks At The Diner was great, in a gravelly sort of Tom Waits way y'know.