Albums You Didn't Realize Were as Good as they Are

ajzepp

When my wife and I were driving to Chicago in 1983 for our wedding we were going through Gary Ind at night which is very creepy. We were listening to Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded me with Science." When he got to the line "I can smell the chemicals" we looked at each other and said not ****. If you've ever been through Gary you'll know what I mean.

Oh....I've spent some time in beautiful downtown Gary. Some friggin steel mill I think, back in my Real Time Process Control days. If I remember correctly, it was the Murder Capital of the US at the time. Beauty, eh?

She's tidied up and I can't FIND anything!!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bela Fleck opened for Dave Matthews at the Finger Lakes Whatever They Call It Now, several years ago.

As far as "All Along the Watchtower", in my opinion it was best performed in order by:

Jimi Hendrix (a very original rendition)

Dave Matthews (also original with a surprising intro that sneaks up on you)

Bob Dylan (hey, he wrote it and sang it the way he "heard" it)

Dave Mason (who did it but added nothing - just rocked up the Dylan version)

You may want to note Mason also played on Hendrix's original version (12-string). I'd call Mason's version superior to Mathews, but that's me.

Aja -- it's not that I didn't realize it was that good, it's more that I hadn't played it in forever until recently.

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds. At first I'm thinking "Beach Boys? Bah." Then I listened to it start to finish.

Great call. I pull out Pet Sounds every year during the drive down to DE at the start of my vacation.

Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience

I bought it because my wife commented that she liked "Hey Jealousy." I bought it, listened to it once and then it gathered dust for a while. I picked it up one day and gave it a listen. I thought, "not bad," and it became part of the regular rotation . . .

Flash forward 10 years or so (i know it came out in '93 or so, but I did say it gathered dust for a while), and I find the recording indispensible. It is, quite possibly, my favorite CD of all time.

It's a shame too because:

a) nothing they've done since comes even close to duplicating that effort

and

b) Doug Hopkins' suicide shortly after the release of the CD . . . He was, obviously, the genius behind the catchy hooks and alcohol/drug abuse driven lyrical content. Definitely a tortured genius . . .

Great CD.

Right? Totally underrated record. I do wish it was a little rougher sounding, but those are some great songs.

Another similar underrated gem is Soul Asylum's Horse They Rode In On. Jangly and drunken rock and roll....that should also be a little rougher sounding.

Where'd you see that encore at? I was at Darien Lake and Saratoga a few weeks ago.

Dude, actually listening to "All Along the Watchtower" as I type this. Fuggin' coincidence man! :unsure:

If you haven't heard it, check out their Central Park Concert. It has all their great songs with the best versions, IMO.

The Darien Show was awesome in the lawn... i got absolutely drenched to the point where it was better to be shirtless the rest of the show.

That all said, I will second Angels and Airwaves- We Don't Need To Whisper as a great album I didn't really think much of until I listened to everything shuffle besides "The Adventure"

I will throw these ones out there

3 Doors Down- The Better Life

Any album by Beck, I always listened to his hits but they are some hypnotically brilliant albums

Boys Like Girls self titled album, my students got me hooked on this one

Brand New- Your Favorite Weapon

Default- The Fallout

Finch- What It is to Burn

The Get Up Kids- 4 Minute Mile

The Killers- Hot Fuss

MGMT- Oracular Spectacular, which was actually recorded in Cassadaga

The Offspring- Americana, I remember telling a classmate that I thought it was okay after a couple times through and a couple weeks later, I was still listening to it.

Outkast- Aquemini and Stankonia

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Puddle of Mudd- Come Clean, I still can't all of that is on one CD

Snow Patrol- Eyes Open

Something Corporate- Leaving Through the Car Window

Sugarcult- Start Static

Taking Back Sunday- Tell all Your Friends

Yellowcard- One For the Kids

Now that I have wasted the last 45 minutes going through Windows media player, I will say this many more than I expected to put up.

Where'd you see that encore at? I was at Darien Lake and Saratoga a few weeks ago.

Dude, actually listening to "All Along the Watchtower" as I type this. Fuggin' coincidence man! :w00t:

If you haven't heard it, check out their Central Park Concert. It has all their great songs with the best versions, IMO.

I've seen them many, many times and was at Saratoga as well.....that band is great live, their studio efforts just haven't been able to capture the live sound.

Saw Phish there this weekend as well, man they are amazing. Another band who doesn't capture it in the studio

You may want to note Mason also played on Hendrix's original version (12-string). I'd call Mason's version superior to Mathews, but that's me.

That is cool. I cannot argue with which version you like better! :beer: I did not know Mason played on the Hendrix original. I looked around at quite a few Dave Mason performances. I always liked him (going back to the Traffic / Dear Mr. Fantasy days). His 12 string version of 'We Just Disagree' is amazing.

They have a ton of versions of 'Watch Tower' on Youtube so choose your favorite!

Side note: There is also a DMB and Bela Fleck performance on Youtube of 'Ants Marching'. It was better when I saw it because ALL of the DMB (including saxophonist Leroi Moore - RIP) and ALL of the Flecktones were on the stage together.

Side note: There is also a DMB and Bela Fleck performance on Youtube of 'Ants Marching'. It was better when I saw it because ALL of the DMB (including saxophonist Leroi Moore - RIP) and ALL of the Flecktones were on the stage together.

That sounds pretty cool. I will have to check it out.

Over the years I have seen Mason live many times (solo, duo and full band). Just recently I saw him with his band and it was by far the best he has ever sounded. His guitar playing was really off the charts and he was in great voice. They cranked up the volume and mixed a few decent new tunes in with some old classics (including All Along the Watchtower). I really can't say enough good things about the show.

a few good ones....

pete gabriel So

talking heads Little Creatures

todd Rungren A capella

Rem document or any of their classics....

Van Halen...everything pre Sammy