Slant Patterns!

I asking because I have not played QB, so apologies if this is a poor question but doesn't the O-line need to make throwing lanes for slants to work?

ADD:

Slants are great b/c it can somtimes pull the DB's up on the LOS and set up a deep post. A bite on a fake slant route and Lee scores 6 points (assuming the ball gets out there)

I am not a QB either but NO I do not think that the O-line has to open holes for a slant pass. What, does Trent throw the ball side armed at chest level? NO! You throw over the top of your offensive line. Trent is like 6'2" or 6'3" for christ sake.

I remember when Mike Mularkey was HC, the Bills were playing the Jets and Losman hit Parrish on a Slant. Parrish ran right up the middle on darted past the Jets secondary for a 50+ yard TD. I never understood why they didn't throw more slants to Roscoe.

Since JP left we haven't had a QB with the arm or the balls to make that throw.

I remember when Mike Mularkey was HC, the Bills were playing the Jets and Losman hit Parrish on a Slant. Parrish ran right up the middle on darted past the Jets secondary for a 50+ yard TD. I never understood why they didn't throw more slants to Roscoe.

It's hard to run slants in the NFL...........

Maybe soon we will have a functioning offense, complete with a different blocking scheme than zone blocking every once in a while. We could even conceivably have a standard offense with wr screens, tight end screens, middle screens, playaction, draws, counters, trap plays, fullback leads, you know, regular football plays that any anus that has ever played a football video game understands.

I think that a lot have fans have noticed the lack of slant routes the last few years. If a lot of fans noticed obviously every opposing defenses knew it too. This was part of a larger problem that our QBs, especially Edwards, didn't work the middle of the field. Everything was a dump off or an out route. Well, that and the 2 balls that Edwards threw 40yrds in the air all last year.

If Edwards is supposedly so accurate, working the middle of the field shouldn't be a problem. The only reason I can think of for why they don't work the middle of the field is because Edwards has a weak arm and can't get those throws in there with some zip.

this is completely incorrect

Edwards threw over the middle against the Cards -

on the play he got his bell rung

If Hardy had actually run the pattern as the hot read, Edwards would not have gotten killed -

but that's what happens when intelligence takes a back seat to tallness.

this is completely incorrect

Edwards threw over the middle against the Cards -

on the play he got his bell rung

If Hardy had actually run the pattern as the hot read, Edwards would not have gotten killed -

but that's what happens when intelligence takes a back seat to tallness.

Sorry, Hardy was in motion from the outside on that play. Robert Royal is the guy who went out for a pass and should have saw/blocked the blitzer. Hardy ran a four yard pattern and did just what he should have. Altering his pattern would have done nothing, he was looking for the ball all the way anyway even though Royal almost ran into him. Edwards could have thrown it whenever he wanted. If anyone, Royal was the culprit. The safety coming up to the line was right next to him.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008100509/2...9000d5d80b65e35

Sorry, Hardy was in motion from the outside on that play. Robert Royal is the guy who went out for a pass and should have saw/blocked the blitzer. Hardy ran a four yard pattern and did just what he should have. Altering his pattern would have done nothing, he was looking for the ball all the way anyway even though Royal almost ran into him. Edwards could have thrown it whenever he wanted. If anyone, Royal was the culprit. The safety coming up to the line was right next to him.

Nice use of the replay, Kelly...

wait; you're saying robert royal made a crucial mistake? wow.

wow.

Jiminy Crickets! Someone is going to sprain a neuron or two with all this complex football stuff. It's barely friggin JUNE!

man... if trent can get back what he had before that hit it would be awesome... just watching some highlights:

!@#$ that noise. I want him to throw !@#$ing touchdown passes.

One thing I noticed during all of the OTA work is receivers and tight ends running slant patterns. This has been a foriegn concept to the Bills since I can remember. The last few years all we have done is thrown dump offs and deep routes. Any sucessful offenisive team can throw over the middle. This is a promising sign.

Agreed. Trent likes em too.

Loved the 66 yard play to Fred Jackson in 2007 Redskins game and all of the work to Josh Reed in early 2008.

Glad we made the strategic decision last offseason to decimate our offensive line and then follow that up with a strategic focus on slow-developing downfield pass plays.

"Trent needs to stay in there and take those hits. On those two plays that weren't total jailbreaks with DEs running free, there were guys open, but Trent checked it down. What a kitty"