Slant Patterns!

One thing I noticed during all of the OTA work is receivers and tight ends running slant patterns. This has been a foriegn concept to the Bills since I can remember. The last few years all we have done is thrown dump offs and deep routes. Any sucessful offenisive team can throw over the middle. This is a promising sign.

One thing I noticed during all of the OTA work is receivers and tight ends running slant patterns. This has been a foriegn concept to the Bills since I can remember. The last few years all we have done is thrown dump offs and deep routes. Any sucessful offenisive team can throw over the middle. This is a promising sign.

That is awesome. Side note, didn't Lee Evans score on a slant in the first Jets game last season? But thats the only slant I remember from last season.

I think that a lot have fans have noticed the lack of slant routes the last few years. If a lot of fans noticed obviously every opposing defenses knew it too. This was part of a larger problem that our QBs, especially Edwards, didn't work the middle of the field. Everything was a dump off or an out route. Well, that and the 2 balls that Edwards threw 40yrds in the air all last year.

If Edwards is supposedly so accurate, working the middle of the field shouldn't be a problem. The only reason I can think of for why they don't work the middle of the field is because Edwards has a weak arm and can't get those throws in there with some zip.

in the video CB has on BB.com Trent throws a couple which look a bit woobly but get there ok and are caught. I am happy to see it as well (BTW in the vid so did Fitz and it had more zip and nicer spin I think it was to Rosy).

In a way it is funny, the team is taking baby steps and we're impressed. It is also impressive they did as well as they did last year and the years before with the game plans and lacking of imagination they had. I was never convinced it was about skill but always evaluation. Jaruon had so many players who were good sit on the bench, I was never convinced he could judge if they could use a complicated offense or defense. I think they won a lot of games in spite of him.

I saw Brett Favre and the Jets carve us up with it two seasons ago. I'd love to see us run it that effectively!

I'm sorry, what is this slant thingy to which you refrence?

It's the play that every opposing offense consistently ran on 3rd and 4 or 5 to succesfully convert the first down agaisnt our D.

Next thing you know we'll actually see a screen pass.

Like in the season opener?

They ran screens so well, then they stopped doing it.

I remember last year the big thing the Bills had Trent Edwards practicing were check downs. That is no joke either. The Bills offense IMO was based around running the WR's deep and then checking down.

I think that a lot have fans have noticed the lack of slant routes the last few years. If a lot of fans noticed obviously every opposing defenses knew it too. This was part of a larger problem that our QBs, especially Edwards, didn't work the middle of the field. Everything was a dump off or an out route. Well, that and the 2 balls that Edwards threw 40yrds in the air all last year.

If Edwards is supposedly so accurate, working the middle of the field shouldn't be a problem. The only reason I can think of for why they don't work the middle of the field is because Edwards has a weak arm and can't get those throws in there with some zip.

I asking because I have not played QB, so apologies if this is a poor question but doesn't the O-line need to make throwing lanes for slants to work?

ADD:

Slants are great b/c it can somtimes pull the DB's up on the LOS and set up a deep post. A bite on a fake slant route and Lee scores 6 points (assuming the ball gets out there)

Or the coaches were beyond bad at their jops last year. The more I think back to last season - and I love AVP - the more I think AVP was in over his head. Not to mention that DJ was in over his head as far as offense goes from the day he signed his contract here.

I remember when Mike Mularkey was HC, the Bills were playing the Jets and Losman hit Parrish on a Slant. Parrish ran right up the middle on darted past the Jets secondary for a 50+ yard TD. I never understood why they didn't throw more slants to Roscoe.

I asking because I have not played QB, so apologies if this is a poor question but doesn't the O-line need to make throwing lanes for slants to work?

ADD:

Slants are great b/c it can somtimes pull the DB's up on the LOS and set up a deep post. A bite on a fake slant route and Lee scores 6 points (assuming the ball gets out there)

Not a poor question at all. Passing lanes are CRITICAL and it is the job of the OLine to provide them. Our BIGGEST problem has been that teams are stacking the LOS which makes throwing slant patterns VERY DIFFICULT. At least you are seeing that unlike some who seem to think we should just go ahead and force the issue. Try throwing a slant against an 8 man front with a poor OLine and you'll see what I mean.

That said, there are plays that can FORCE teams out of those fronts but you have to hit them with some consistency. None of our QBs seem capable of doing that at this point. I was at least encouraged that Edwards was mentioning how Gailey's system actually uses some plays to set up others. That's football 101. And shame on our previous coaches if they didn't recognize that simple fact. But I suspect that Schonert and AVP weren't that inept. I blame it mostly on the quality of players we had at key positions, chiefly QB.

I will remain unconvinced until I see otherwise. Especially from our QBs.

GO BILLS!!!

I remember when Mike Mularkey was HC, the Bills were playing the Jets and Losman hit Parrish on a Slant. Parrish ran right up the middle on darted past the Jets secondary for a 50+ yard TD. I never understood why they didn't throw more slants to Roscoe.

Wasnt a slant, more like a hitch.