How would you feel if...

I recall a few people (no a lot, but a few) thinking the Seattle Seahawks pulled a coup hiring Pete Carroll. But how slick is that organization looking cutting Lendale White after they traded to get him? We are pretty harsh on the Bills, deservedly so in many cases, but I can't recall us pulling a gaff like this. Despite his college success Petey still has a taint from his NFL failures. This is not a good way to start his second tenure.

PTR

They probably got the inside iggy that he tested positive for substance abuse. They were right to cut him. I think teams should get an incentive to cut players who are arrested or test positive.

Oh, and to make a comment about Carroll; I will keep an eye on the Seahawks just to see how they do, I am curious. I do not see him able to build a dominate franchise, maybe 8-8's at best.

They probably got the inside iggy that he tested positive for substance abuse. They were right to cut him. I think teams should get an incentive to cut players who are arrested or test positive.

Oh, and to make a comment about Carroll; I will keep an eye on the Seahawks just to see how they do, I am curious. I do not see him able to build a dominate franchise, maybe 8-8's at best.

Carroll can't recruit players with houses for their parents in the NFL. I think he'll be a dismal failure again in the NFL. JMO

I recall a few people (no a lot, but a few) thinking the Seattle Seahawks pulled a coup hiring Pete Carroll. But how slick is that organization looking cutting Lendale White after they traded to get him? We are pretty harsh on the Bills, deservedly so in many cases, but I can't recall us pulling a gaff like this. Despite his college success Petey still has a taint from his NFL failures. This is not a good way to start his second tenure.

PTR

We weren't that much different when we traded a 3rd for Billy Joe Hobert & had to release him after week 7.

PTR

Agreed - draft picks are valuable and in this case it just seems the Hawks did not do their homework. Still, I applaud them sticking to their values and admitting they made a mistake with the guy. It seems that Marshwn's work ethic may not be much higher.

The Seahawks gave up practically nothing for White and some other guy that they got in the deal, too. They swapped spots with Tennessee in the 4th and 6th rounds which when translated probably cost them the equivalent of a 5th

and 7th for two players. Not a great lost investment.

The scoop I read is that while White has lost a lot of weight, his effort was extremely below par in comparison to his

teammates and they cut him to be clear that won't be tolerated.

It was a meaningless trade with Seattle flip flopping their 4th and 6th round picks with the Titans 4th and 6th rounds picks plus White and Vickerson. They dropped down in two rounds, didnt lose any picks and picked up two players in the process so its not like it was a straight up draft pick for player trade.

Seattle didnt lose as much as some on here are making it out to be

Oh, and to make a comment about Carroll; I will keep an eye on the Seahawks just to see how they do, I am curious. I do not see him able to build a dominate dominant franchise, maybe 8-8's at best.

Oh how I hate this.

Carroll can't recruit players with houses for their parents in the NFL. I think he'll be a dismal failure again in the NFL. JMO

He wasn't a failure before...why do you think he will be now? I seem to remember him having a well over .500 record in the NFL with the Jests and *Patriots...Paul Allen will spend dough too...So I believe he'll have ample resources. That division is weak and the Seahawks will be good i'm sure...well...good enough to win the division anyway.

Oh yeah back to original topic (sorry I think I have a.d.d.) i'd be disappointed if we traded for a player then cut him a month later...but **** happens.

And I know better! How embarassing! I was not paying attention at all, clearly... :wallbash:

Go easy on yourself, there is no reason to get upset about such a minor spelling error. Your intentions were good and you made a slip. No biggie. It's not like you made the classic "could of" instead of "could have" slip. That is unforgivable.

That being said, LenDale looked like a coup to most until the drug issue was revealed. It must have been unexpected, as they cut ties quickly. This says, to me, that they never would have made the move for him had they known what was in store. I am in the sad place of having a West Coast team due to proximity. This is Pete Carroll's team for better or for worse and the USC pedigree that LenDale carried in addition to being a low-mileage starting-quality RB made for a logical fit on paper. Sometimes, paper is better left on the table.

PTR

great post Promo The Bills PR Flack.

So I guess the Bills don't have a monopoly on bad decision-making. Fascinating stuff. Here I thought each and every bad NFL move emmanated from OBD.

Have to say, Promo The Bills PR Flack, when thinking about how "we" would react to this news I could pretty much guess how you'd react: by putting the most favorable spin on the move as possible. My guess is we'd be treated to a post about how this shows the new regime is willing to admit mistakes and lacks the ego that would force some other teams to stick it out with a player that wasn't working out.

Not comparing the Bills' ineptitude to Seattle's…but I just posted on the Adam Schein thread about my reservations for Pete Carroll before seeing this thread.

Carroll lasted one season with the Jets (6-10).

He then took over a New England team coached by Bill Parcells which went 11-5 and went to the Super Bowl the previous season and coached them to a 27-21 record. After 3 seasons he was fired when the Patsies* missed the playoffs.

He was succeeded by Bill Belichick.

While Carroll was outperformed by the coaches before and after him while working for possibly the best owner, Robert Kraft (in terms of commitment to winning), both of those coaches are NFL legends.

But I think Carroll will fail regardless of what the numbers say. The trade for LenDale White and his subsequent shytcanning was telling. The overpaying for Charlie Whitehurst another red flag. The Taylor Mays incident also raises questions about Carroll's character.

From afar, he seems like a man who is a phony, is not trustworthy, and has trouble being a face to face disciplinarian. He seems like the guy who would cut you but not meet face to face with you beforehand to tell you why.

He fled USC in the face of adversity (increased scrutiny of the program and weakening of their recruiting classes), rather than man up and persevere.

It was always a consensus that Carroll's style lent itself better to coaching college kids than professional men. I, for one, agree with this consensus view.

PTR

They didn't give up a ton to get White, but yes...a gaff when he's cut before they even get to camp. There would be much wailing and gnashing here if this was the Bills.

Of course there is much wailing an gnashing here every day.

I believe they really had a very nice draft. Time will tell if those draft picks transition into solid players

Hey, when you realize you made a mistake on a player who looks to be a complete under achiever and different then the guy who played for you a few years ago, cut your losses right away and move on.

Better that then have the guy stick around and ruin the chemistry in the locker room, JMO

The knock on Pete Carroll from his first round at the rodeo was that he was a push-over and let the players get away with far too much. Obviously, it is an admission that a mistake was made with respect to the trade; but, for the long term, Carroll had to set the tone that he is really in control of his team and what his expectations are for his players.

great post Promo The Bills PR Flack.

So I guess the Bills don't have a monopoly on bad decision-making. Fascinating stuff. Here I thought each and every bad NFL move emmanated from OBD.

Have to say, Promo The Bills PR Flack, when thinking about how "we" would react to this news I could pretty much guess how you'd react: by putting the most favorable spin on the move as possible. My guess is we'd be treated to a post about how this shows the new regime is willing to admit mistakes and lacks the ego that would force some other teams to stick it out with a player that wasn't working out.

Well aren't we a bright ray of sunshine.

One of the things I truly appreciate about Promo's posts is he is really insightful.......and posts things that make you think.

What would we have done? We would have crucified them for being an absoutely horrid front office that would blow a draft pick like that.

This is what I really like about Buddy Nix.....I dont think we "blew" on draft pick this year........

- the 1st round pick can play immediately

- the 2nd round pick was an immediate need

- the 3rd round pick was a player at a needed position that got it done in college

The only player in our draft that was based on potential was Easily and he has LOADS of potential.