Adam Schein on the Bills

Heck, Schein even wondered what would have happened if Gailey hadn't been hired as HC. Would he even be in the NFL?

A good question, but I must say that I am actually as sure as I can be that Gailey will not be as bad as Jauron, who imo was one of the worst coaches I have ever seen. Taking it a step further, I consider Nix to be FAR more competent than Levy. Levy (as a GM) and Jauron were basically one entity of utter idiocy. They were a textbook version of how to lose football games, and screw up any chances at winning them, or building a good, strong football team.

I don't expect the Bills to do well this season because I am a reasonable fan, and have devoted quite a bit of time over decades watching football. Still, I refuse to believe that Nix/Gailey will be as bad as the previous laughing stocks. I am unable to visualize the possibility.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good question, but I must say that I am actually as sure as I can be that Gailey will not be as bad as Jauron, who imo was one of the worst coaches I have ever seen. Taking it a step further, I consider Nix to be FAR more competent than Levy. Levy (as a GM) and Jauron were basically one entity of utter idiocy. They were a textbook version of how to lose football games, and screw up any chances at winning them, or building a good, strong football team.

I don't expect the Bills to do well this season because I am a reasonable fan, and have devoted quite a bit of time over decades watching football. Still, I refuse to believe that Nix/Gailey will be as bad as the previous laughing stocks. I am unable to visualize the possibility.

This is why the OP using Schein as some sort of concrete proof that the Bills are truly as bad as he wants them to be is a joke:

3. Bills 8-8 I'm either really dumb or really stubborn. Perhaps both. Yes, I saw the OC get fired a week before the season. Yes, I watched the first team offense play like a bad peewee team in the preseason. And yes, without question, I am aware of what T.O. can do to a team. And yet ... I think Dick Jauron is a good coach and this team has enough talent to at least fake a playoff run.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Picks-a...2009-NFL-season

And that is mild for Schein. He absolutely used to praise the Bills and Jauron for the last few years. So if the OP poster is consistent, which he isn't, then he should respect Schein's why he has been downright giddy about the Bills.

Also to the original poster, what has bitchign and whining on this board ever accomplished? Honestly? I'll always see the glass half full and it's worked our well for me in my life. The Bills are my hometown team that I love probably too much at times. But it is a fraction of my life. I don't need to think rationally about them. I'll delude myself every offseason (though I really have zero expectations this year) and I can guarantee my tailgate at the opener will be better than yours. :wallbash:

Now it's time to have a few drinks, make some bad decisions, and enjoy this long weekend. Happy Memorial day and go Bills!

If we'd stayed with the 4 - 3, you would have been right. However, with the 3 - 4, the entire front seven has been completely uprooted. Most of them are playing positions they've never played before. Two or three years down the road, this defense might be good. Now, though, all signs point towards major badness for the defense in 2010. I wish it wasn't true.

Add in some more woes there. While BUF works on their 3-4, they have to deal with the other 3 AFCE tams that have experience with a 3-4. Then add into into the pot, that they are scheduled to square off against the AFCN - three in that div. are 3-4 clubs, so have ideas about to game plan there on both sides of the ball. And toss in cbs playing back, safteys playing up with the apparent demise of using a Cover 2 scheme as a base scheme the past few seasons.

Were I calling shots against them I'd be giving them a steady diet of the so-called unbaanced line - six OLs. There is the li that the competitors will be having them facing 3rd and 1 or 2 all game long.

This change to a 3-4 is right up there with last years' no-huddle debacle. No-huddle, with an iffy OL, and the who knows who plays qb stuff. Gawd... :wallbash:

Have you read the comments here on the board? As far as I am concerned he is saying the same thing we have been saying here for a long time now. Except he has a national platform to say it. He says he loves the fans and thinks the organization is dysfunctional. Cant say I disagree. Until the organization proves him otherwise, he is on the money. As are we.

I'm making the point that any national writer/personality who says Buffalo won't be good is always attacked for their opinion on TBD. Nothing more, nothing less. Usually, this means saying the personality has made a bad prediction at one time, hates the Bills, or doesn't know the NFL.

I happen to agree with Schein's assessment in that the team has too many question marks and their leadership selections at GM and HC were the result of Buffalo's reputation being damaged beyond repair.

Schein is either right or not too far off.

I have no expectations that the Bills will be successful this year and I have lost all confidence in the leaders of this organization. I think the best we can hope for is that Gailey can improve the offense (which I think he will, marginally) and that the Bills had a strong draft.

The Bills have so many needs at some of the most critical positions (i.e., QB and offensive tackle) that it seems impossible that they can be a playoff caliber team in the near future. When are these situations going to be addressed? Until they are, we will not make the playoffs.

This is one of the best post i have read. I agree with you 100%. I just don't know what other Bills fans are thinking...

Analysts are all the same. They praise the teams that make multiple trades in the draft and sign a boat load of free agents.

This is the first time in many years i actually feel like the Bills had a plan going into the offseason. They also appeared to have stuck with that plan. At times i felt the Bills were like a kid in a toy store. OOO SHINY must get.

Analysts are all the same. They praise the teams that make multiple trades in the draft and sign a boat load of free agents.

This is the first time in many years i actually feel like the Bills had a plan going into the offseason. They also appeared to have stuck with that plan. At times i felt the Bills were like a kid in a toy store. OOO SHINY must get.

Just a thought...What plan is that?????? Nevermind, a plan of no QB, no left tackle, no right tackle, no wide receivers, and no pass rush. Wow, that's a great plan...

This is why the OP using Schein as some sort of concrete proof that the Bills are truly as bad as he wants them to be is a joke:

No, it's an opinion, and as reasonable an opinion as any other.

Also to the original poster, what has bitchign and whining on this board ever accomplished? Honestly?

Alright, then here's another question for you. What has any post on this board, positive or negative, ever accomplished? Ever?

Posting on this board doesn't accomplish anything at all, and posts shouldn't be judged by that standard.

I'll always see the glass half full and it's worked our well for me in my life. The Bills are my hometown team that I love probably too much at times. But it is a fraction of my life. I don't need to think rationally about them. I'll delude myself every offseason (though I really have zero expectations this year) and I can guarantee my tailgate at the opener will be better than yours. :)

Good luck with your tailgate. And clearly your opinion is fine and your approach works for you. So, why can't you allow him the same privilege?

I'm making the point that any national writer/personality who says Buffalo won't be good is always attacked for their opinion on TBD. Nothing more, nothing less. Usually, this means saying the personality has made a bad prediction at one time, hates the Bills, or doesn't know the NFL.

I happen to agree with Schein's assessment in that the team has too many question marks and their leadership selections at GM and HC were the result of Buffalo's reputation being damaged beyond repair.

The standard assessment of local and outside analysts of Ralph Wilson's franchise is that it is very flawed, starting with the clueless owner. The team's record over the past decade demonstrates its organizational dysfunction. But that doesn't mean that the status of the organization is locked in to continue being what it has been for a very long time.

The Nix/Gailey takeover doesn't mean that they are genius operators who will bring miracle results. They are far from being Parcells/Polian franchise builders. What Nix has done since he was hired is bring a sense of competence and direction to this very erratic organization. His first draft was sound and purposeful. After the draft was concluded you had a sense that they went into the draft with an intelligent strategy, and they smartly executed their plan. Their free agent pick ups weren't glitzy but they were sound additions (Davis, Edwards and Green).

For the Bills there aren't any quick fixes. That is too unrealistic a demand for anyone to make. What I simply want is competent decision making and quality coaching. That in itself should result in better play on the field. The NFL system is designed in such a way that if an organization knows what it is doing it won't be stuck in long term mediocrity, as we have been. I'm more confident of this team's prospects of being on the right path than I have been in quite some time. How long will it take? After a couple of years you should be able to make a fair assessment. For those fans who don't have patience they are going to be deeply disappointed.

Our goofy owner damaged this franchise in an incalculable way with the Levy/Jauron hiring. It set the franchise back for years. If a Nix type of person would have replaced Donahoe this rebuilding process would be much more advanced. As frustrating as it is you have to go from where you are at and not worry about what could have been.

Guys like Schein are masters of the rear-view window. All these ratings are based on where we were.

PTR

Right now, does this organization deserve a front window view from anyone? Fans, media, whoever? They don't. Maybe they are headed in the right direction, but one thing they should not have is anyone's confidence.

No, and the news we hear from players indicates just how bad DJ was: less than challenging practices and then simplified offensive and defensive schemes. And ironically, many on TBD questioned DJ's methods but were bashed for not being undying optimists.

For this team to get back to respectable, Gailey is going to need to be a LOT better than DJ was. Nix at least has personnel experience, whereas Levy and Brandon had none. To think this team, meaning RW, thought they could be competitive with Levy, Brandon, and DJ shows how messed up ownership is/was. Bills fans have to hope they got lucky with Nix/Gailey, because not one other NFL franchise considered either one of them for any position close to what Buffalo hired them to do.

Over the long haul, being pessimistic and negative about the Bills has proven correct far more often than your unabashed optimism.

"correct" is a funny way to put it. I'd say the results on the field don't prove it to be the "correct" way at all. I'd rather believe every year and be happy rather than make myself miserable. Some people like miserable though. Everybody should look at it the way that they feel best about...I feel best about enjoying Bills Football whether they win or lose.

"correct" is a funny way to put it. I'd say the results on the field don't prove it to be the "correct" way at all. I'd rather believe every year and be happy rather than make myself miserable. Some people like miserable though. Everybody should look at it the way that they feel best about...I feel best about enjoying Bills Football whether they win or lose.

The main problem with the Bills isn't its dismal won/lost record. It is its disgusting incompetent level of play. Watching professional football games is supposed to be entertaining. The Bills are not very entertaining. I'm hoping with Nix primarily in control of the football operations the caliber of play will be elevated.

Right now, does this organization deserve a front window view from anyone? Fans, media, whoever? They don't. Maybe they are headed in the right direction, but one thing they should not have is anyone's confidence.

Which makes these kind of analyses, what exactly?

Before the Internet, they were bird cage liner. Now, they're worth even less, since they can't even serve that function...

leadership selections at GM and HC were the result of Buffalo's reputation being damaged beyond repair.

Absolutely ridiculous. There are exactly 32 of each of those positions available -- in the world. The Bills' reputation is not "damaged beyond repair." Sure, if a guy has his choice of organizations, he will choose one over the others for any of a multitude of reasons, but that's true for any job. Until someone proves otherwise, I refuse to believe the Bills were blackballed by GM and HC candidates.

By the way, "Shanahan and Cowher didn't come here" isn't proof.

Its quite simple. BillsVet calls it "correct," because he'd rather be right and have the Bills suck so he can post on just how "right" he was. If the Bills were good, he wouldn't have anything to B word and whine about, so we'd never actually see him post anything on here.

Adam Schein usually is an optimist regarding the Bills....he's usually wrong too

This is my thinking as well. If Adam, who is usually positive, has capitulated perhaps that is the sign that the turn around is coming. Same thing with that Draftnik character McGuire. He quit as well so that could be the signal that the turnaround is going to start.