Flutie was a STUD !!

Okay Philster. So according to you:

I don't know how to read.

I'm dishonest (because MY parents, not yours, didn't teach me anything).

I'm on drugs.

Anything else you'd like to add?

Congratulations. You're the first person ever on this board to accuse me of any of the above. Good job, buddy. Stay classy.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, what it means is that the QB was not the reason we lost that game. A lack of discipline on ST is the reason we lost that game.

What it means is that despite a craptacular OL (TEN FUGGEN YEARS AGO AND NO IMPROVEMENT) RJ had the game in the bag and won.

Come on now, booster. You're smarter than this.

If Johnson was a better QB, that game doesn't come down to a final drive. That doesn't mean he didn't have a great final drive and show some stones but Johnson was terrible most of that game. Absolutely terrible.

Oh, and Flutopians are still !@#$ing idiots. Flutie was an average QB who managed to score just enough points to not waste one of the most underrated defenses in modern NFL history. That team was junkyard dog tough.

Beerball, didn't you recently have problems with your head? You should probably refrain from slamming it against a wall so much over something so pointless as a neverending crusade against reason.

Thanks for looking out for me. Gotta quit the head banging. :thumbsup:

no one trades a reigning league MVP unless there's a problem ... that happened to Flutie ... TWICE ... once was midseason IIRC in a MVP season. He was a problem everywhere he went ... except in NE (the second time) because he was a novelty with his dropkick.

yep, he was always fun to watch!

that was a nice vid to see too.

The team had a nice mix. Flutie was a big reason for their mild success. The big name superbowl players that remained. Younger leaders like Holecek and Gash. Good coaching staff. Antowaine just wasn't good enough though, neither was Ostroski. But it was Buffalo's best team obviously in some time.

The team had a nice mix. Flutie was a big reason for their mild success. The big name superbowl players that remained. Younger leaders like Holecek and Gash. Good coaching staff. Antowaine just wasn't good enough though, neither was Ostroski. But it was Buffalo's best team obviously in some time.

Antowain was poorly coached in 98 and 99...Bishop Harris had him lowering his head to present a smaller target for tacklers (He was 6'2", tall for a RB)...but it hurt his vision...didn't see holes close and open

He wasn't doing that in 97 when Thurman was basically coaching him and by the end of the 2000 season, James Saxon had that bad habit worked out of him

man you are really a moron, are you serious? did u even watch those games? I cant believe how stupid someones opinion can be on here. Really? flutie choked? I guess you think only one play counts. I thought reed thurman and moulds choked in miami and that RJ threw for 97 yards and got lucky the game was still close after Antowain smith got two rushing tds. But I guess even dumb people can post here.

For all his "magic," when push comes to shove, he fumbled. End of story.

The question is would we want the 98 version of him on our roster today, with the dearth of good QBs? Those of you who say no he sukked are absolutely insane. He was an above average QB (with a good arm, the guy was no captain checkdown). He won like we haven't seen since he left, save for the one Bledsoe 9-7 season. The guy was a pro bowler for us for gsake.

This game which I went to personally in Charlotte tells me all I need to know that the guy could play, when he was at the top of his game. The pass to Moulds was an incredibly strike downfield. I wish that was our QB.

Buffalo Bills 30,

Carolina Panthers 14

Buffalo 10 7 10 3 -- 30

Carolina 0 7 0 7 -- 14

First Quarter

Buf--E.Moulds 20 pass from D.Flutie (S.Christie kick), 4:00.

Buf--FG S.Christie 42, 9:40.

Second Quarter

Car--W.Floyd 1 run (J.Kasay kick), 6:08.

Buf--E.Moulds 82 pass from D.Flutie (S.Christie kick), 7:59.

Third Quarter

Buf--FG S.Christie 47, 10:32.

Buf--T.Thomas 17 run (S.Christie kick), 14:19.

Fourth Quarter

Buf--FG S.Christie 44, 9:09.

Car--M.Carrier 8 pass from S.Beuerlein (J.Kasay kick), 11:22.

A--64,050.

BUF CAR

FIRST DOWNS 18 21

Rushing 6 4

Passing 11 14

Penalty 1 3

3RD-DOWN EFFICIENCY 6-11 6-14

4TH-DOWN EFFICIENCY 0-0 2-3

TOTAL NET YARDS 426 360

Total Plays 56 64

Average Gain 7.6 5.6

NET YARDS RUSHING 144 81

Rushes 34 22

Average per Rush 4.2 3.7

NET YARDS PASSING 282 279

Completed - Attempted 18-22 22-40

Yards per Pass 12.8 6.6

Sacked - Yards Lost 0-0 2-7

Had Intercepted 1 2

PUNTS-AVERAGE 2-46.0 4-40.5

RETURN YARDAGE 32 149

Punt Returns - Yards 0-0 1-10

Kickoff Returns - Yards 2-32 6-139

Int. Returns - Yards 2-0 1-0

PENALTIES-YARDS 7-63 9-69

FUMBLES-LOST 1-0 1-1

TIME OF POSSESSION 33:28 26:32

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING --

BUF: J.Linton 10-53, A.Smith 11-44, D.Flutie 5-27, T.Thomas 7-19, S.Gash 1-1.

CAR: F.Lane 18-74, W.Floyd 2-5, R.Ismail 1-1, S.Beuerlein 1-1.

PASSING --

BUF: D.Flutie 18-22-1-282.

CAR: S.Beuerlein 22-39-2-286, K.Walter 0-1-0-0.

RECEIVING --

BUF: E.Moulds 5-145, K.Williams 2-31, T.Thomas 2-26, S.Gash 2-22, J.Riemersma 2-19, A.Reed 2-17, L.Johnson 1-17, Q.Early 1-9, A.Smith 1-(-4)..

CAR: M.Muhammad 6-66, M.Carrier 5-100, R.Ismail 4-49, W.Walls 3-39, A.Johnson 2-22, D.Stone 1-7, F.Lane 1-3.

For all his "magic," when push comes to shove, he fumbled. End of story.

More like he got demolished by Trace Armstrong. And how many QB's would hang onto a football when their arm is in throwing motion and a huge defender dives helmet first into your arm?? Sorry, but that was no cheesy Bledsoe fumble. Look to Moulds & Reed for the loss that day.

More like he got demolished by Trace Armstrong. And how many QB's would hang onto a football when their arm is in throwing motion and a huge defender dives helmet first into your arm?? Sorry, but that was no cheesy Bledsoe fumble. Look to Moulds & Reed for the loss that day.

OK... let's remember that Flutie also turned the ball over inside the 10 at the end of the first half of the same game. Can we remember that, please? For all his talent, he was historically weak the closer you got to the goal line, because a smaller field worked against him.

Man i just watched a Bills classic video on Rumblings & i don't care who you are or what you say Flutie was not only a winner with more heart than most but he was a Stud when it came to Q.B. :thumbsup:

the fact that flutie looks like a "stud" to you says a lot more about the way ralph wilson runs this franchise than it does about flutie.

absolutely. i was in the endzone 10 rows up and i felt the shockwaves from that impact. too bad thurman couldn't have at least slowed him down. can't blame flutie for that.

nor can you blame him for the 70 yard bomb that moulds caught and fumbled on the first play of the game. those are two plays that changed the outcome. either of them could have swung it our way.

can't blame flutie for that loss any more than rob johnson for the tenne loss.

(oh god, how did i get sucked into another rj/flutie vortex?)

Yep. It's not like Flutie's 1 TD / 3 Turn Overs had anything to do with it.

Kind of hard to score if he's giving the ball away.

OK... let's remember that Flutie also turned the ball over inside the 10 at the end of the first half of the same game. Can we remember that, please? For all his talent, he was historically weak the closer you got to the goal line, because a smaller field worked against him.

Yes he fumbled in the first half, but he also put the team in more winning positions throughout the game (see my posts about Eric Mould & Andre Reed costing the Bills 2 TD's).

I also remember when the Bills were trailing the Jags in the 4th quarter and Thurman botched the hand off, Flutie tucked in ball in and dove towards the pilon for the winning TD.

I'm not saying Flutie was great, but with the terrible O-line we had, a mobile QB is what we needed.

Yep. It's not like Flutie's 1 TD / 3 Turn Overs had anything to do with it.

Kind of hard to score if he's giving the ball away.

If Moulds didn't hot-dog his run, that 2TD's for Flutie. If Reed didn't get a 15 yard personal foul penalty and a game ejection on the goaline, that's another TD (4 tries to punch it in on the goaline, Buffalo would have scored). But I guess those don't matter, do they? :thumbsup:

If Moulds didn't hot-dog his run, that 2TD's for Flutie. If Reed didn't get a 15 yard personal foul penalty and a game ejection on the goaline, that's another TD (4 tries to punch it in on the goaline, Buffalo would have scored). But I guess those don't matter, do they? :thumbsup:

Coulda, shoulda, woulda ...

IF Flutie did not throw a pick ...

IF Flutie did not fumble the ball (TWICE) ...

Did Moulds and Reeds mistakes hurt the team? Yes. But I find it amazing how the mistakes of 2 (TWO) other players are needed to cover up and gloss over the multiple mistakes made by 1 (ONE) player.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda ...

IF Flutie did not throw a pick ...

IF Flutie did not fumble the ball (TWICE) ...

Did Moulds and Reeds mistakes hurt the team? Yes. But I find it amazing how the mistakes of 2 (TWO) other players are needed to cover up and gloss over the multiple mistakes made by 1 (ONE) player.

That's because it was never Dougie's fault when they lost. Ever. No matter how many mistakes he made, it was always someone else's fault.