Which Teams are You Loyal To?

ajzepp

It's pretty obvious that a lot of TBD'ers have non-Buffalo teams that they root for in other sports. I moved around a lot as a kid, so I became a fan of each of my teams in different ways and at different times. If you're a bandwagon jumper, then just pass by this thread. But if you're someone who has been a loyal fan of your teams, and you have a good reason for why you became a fan of those teams, I think it would be interesting to talk about them here and compare differences.

My teams:

Buffalo Bills - since 1985

Atlanta Braves - since 1981

Philadelphia Flyers - since 1995

Philadelphia 76'ers - since 1995

When I was a kid, I was all into baseball. I played wiffle ball every day possible with my friends in the neighborhood, collected cards, went to the games, listened to the games on the radio, etc. Combine that with the presence of Dale Murphy, who to this day remains my sports hero, and it's easy to see why I latched onto the hometown Braves (I lived in ATL for three years as a kid in addition to living here for the past ten years).

When I moved to Rochester in '85, the Bills were often joked about on WCMF during the Brother Weaze show. I remember listening to some dude just hack all over them while we listened on the bus in the morning on the way to school. I had seen the Cribbs/Ferguson team play on MNF once or twice, but aside from that I really didn't know much about the team. I remembered watching Super Bowls from when I was very young up until this time, but I never became a diehard fan of the sport and i didn't really have a particular team that I followed. Anyway, the Bills became lovable losers to me, and I became more and more interested in the team and in football as a whole. Instead of having best friends who loved baseball, I had best friends who loved football, and I've been both a Bills fan and a huge NFL fan ever since.

As for the Philly teams, I really had no choice in the matter. I had absolutely no idea of the intensity of the sports culture in that city, nor did I anticipate how passionate I would become about all-things Philadelphia. Like with football when I was very young, I remember watching all the NBA finals match-ups from when I was a kid...Magic/Worthy/Scott/Kareem's Lakers vs. Bird/Parrish/mcHale's Celtics....the rise of Jordan and the Bulls...but I never really became a fan of any particular team. With hockey, I had never really paid attention to the sport at all other than the AHL Rochester Americans when I lived in Rochester. The only real exposure I had to the Sabres was the Sabres ice cream flavor that Perry's ice cream made, lol. So with regard to those two sports, I had vacancies for "my team". I spent the next four and a half years in Philly, immersed myself in school and sports, and left there loving the Sixers and the Flyers.

Okay, I know most of you stopped reading a long time ago....but I'd be interested to hear which teams you guys follow and why. I know you guys are out there!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty convenient time for YOU to be making this thread ay?

Not sure what you mean by that :thumbsup:

Even though I'm born and raised in California,I've been a Michigan Wolverines fans since birth. In every sport. My Dads side of the family is from the Detroit area,so me and my brothers had no choice. Started being a Bills fan in the mid 60's cuz I liked the "bull" on the helmet and cuz they had a star player named Butch Byrd. I thought that was hella cool. Been an Oakland A's fan ever since they moved to Oakland because,like UM,my Dad told us that's the way it's gonna be. Never been a huge NBA fan,but I do root for the Kings,and have ever since they came to NorCal.GO BLUE!!!!

Bills since 1973- womb to the tomb

Sabres since 1974- see Bills

Buffalo Braves- sport I was best at, as a kid, basketball...loved the Braves

Celtics since 1980- lost the Braves in Buffalo, loved basketball, Celtics were always on tv...and they were good!

Montreal Expos- since 1973- no idea why...root for the Yankees now, as my family are mostly Yankee fans...but I don't care so much for baseball anymore...

Bills- 1969! My mother made Bills stuff for me before I was born

Sabres- since inception

UConn-since 1979

Yankees- since 75

Glasgow Celtic- since Ranger punks pushed me this way in 2005

Glasgow Celtic- since Ranger punks pushed me this way in 2005

LOL, nice!! That Celtic/Ranger rivalry is intense!

Bills

Yankees

Syracuse University

...everything else is ancillary.....

...you'll give in with time, my friend....muah ha ha :thumbsup:

You've already had a taste of Flyers lovin'....it's futile to resist

Edmonton Oilers - Since 1986, being a child, how can i not love the great one?

Habitant - 1992 - Growing up in MTL, no choice really?

Bills - Since 1991 - Don't remember why? I think it was watching Andre Reed play.

AS Roma - 2002 - Was a big Batistuta fan. From then, Roma became my team.

Italy - Since 1990 - One of the rare memories I have of my dad was going around celebrating with the Italy flag as they went to the final.

Italy - Since 1990 - One of the rare memories I have of my dad was going around celebrating with the Italy flag as they went to the final.

:thumbsup:

One more month, my friend!

:thumbsup:

One more month, my friend!

Looking at the call-ups, I'm not looking forward to it. Maradona made some shocking picks for Argentina as well. No Zanetti or Cambiasso???

That being said, the final will involve England. England will be forever ashamed to know that the closest they came to winning was with a wop at the helm :ph34r:

Looking at the call-ups, I'm not looking forward to it. Maradona made some shocking picks for Argentina as well. No Zanetti or Cambiasso???

That being said, the final will involve England. England will be forever ashamed to know that the closest they came to winning was with a wop at the helm :thumbsup:

Not looking forward to it???? Dude!!

lol, all I know is that I'm going to focus on the US as a legit contender this time. I don't think my Germans will fare all that well this time around, but for some reason I expect the US to make noise.

Not looking forward to it???? Dude!!

lol, all I know is that I'm going to focus on the US as a legit contender this time. I don't think my Germans will fare all that well this time around, but for some reason I expect the US to make noise.

My mood is based on Italy. I don't think they will be that good unfortunately :worthy:

Germany will be there and will be good. So will France, England, Brazil and Spain. I expect an African team to do well.

Until US has some real exposure in Europe in terms of players and coaches, i don't see USA doing better than passing their group...

My mood is based on Italy. I don't think they will be that good unfortunately :worthy:

Germany will be there and will be good. So will France, England, Brazil and Spain. I expect an African team to do well.

Until US has some real exposure in Europe in terms of players and coaches, i don't see USA doing better than passing their group...

That's probably right about the US, I just have a hunch that my favorite whipping boy - Prima Donovan - is going to have a break-out cup. Don't know why, and I'll still be the first to get on him for his crap plays, but I just have a feeling he's going to surprise...in a good way lol

Edmonton Oilers - Since 1986, being a child, how can i not love the great one?

Habitant - 1992 - Growing up in MTL, no choice really?

Bills - Since 1991 - Don't remember why? I think it was watching Andre Reed play.

AS Roma - 2002 - Was a big Batistuta fan. From then, Roma became my team.

Dallas Texans until Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys since 1960

Houston Colts until Houston Astros

Houston Astros until Texas Rangers

Texas Rangers since 1972

Mavericks

Stars

Why....because they represent all of the teams that have been a part of my sports life.

Bills and Sabres since the 08-09 season

Why...because I have come to admire the heart of these teams by way of a friendship with a Bills/Sabres fan.

Sabres

Bills

Cleveland Indians

all since about 84 when I could comprehend the concept of pro sports.

there are other teams I like. Some NCAA teams too, but those 3 would be the only ones I would run around the streets naked lighting off fireworks if they won a title.

Bills since mid-70's

Sabres since mid-70's

Mets since mid-70's (became a Mets fan because all my friends were band wagon Yankees fans from that late 70's run)

Not a big basketball fan at all, but the Braves briefly before they left town, then when I moved to the NYC area I began to follow the Nets

Cornell since I was but a babe (grew up in Ithaca and was going to Lynah when someone named Dryden was in goal)

UB since 1983!

SU football and basketball