Which Teams are You Loyal To?

ajzepp

I just said that because it's usually pretty obvious when someone is a bandwagon jumper, and I really didn't care to have the "sky is falling, abandon ship!" type in the thread. I think people who change their loyalty al the time and go with a team just because they're currently winning are total losers.

^^What this guy said, almost nothing frusturates me more.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just said that because it's usually pretty obvious when someone is a bandwagon jumper, and I really didn't care to have the "sky is falling, abandon ship!" type in the thread. I think people who change their loyalty al the time and go with a team just because they're currently winning are total losers.

Ok, well if you're going to put it that way then as follows:

Bills, since 196? not sure exact year seeing I was born in 1961 and the reason is because I was born in WNY I have no choice right. But as for following them loyally, not anymore.

Sabres since 1973 maybe. Had friends who turned me on to hockey and I've never looked back

Angels since 1983. That's when I moved to CA and they had Reggie Jackson playing for them and I had loved him since his days with Oakland and the Yankees.

Angels since 1983. That's when I moved to CA and they had Reggie Jackson playing for them and I had loved him since his days with Oakland and the Yankees.

That's awesome....one of the highlights of my childhood was seeing Reggie play, too. I was living in KC and the Angles were in town. I remember telling my dad how fast the guy still looked given his age at the time, lol. I don't remember him going yard, but I know he got on base.

Football-

Bills - As long as i can remember

Eagles - When they Drafted McNabb, plus i loved Cunningham!!!

Hockey -

Sabres - (see bills)

Ducks - Damn those Might Duck movies, big fan of Getzlaf and Ryan

Blue Jackets - Rick Nash

Baseball -

Braves - Grew up wathcing them on TBS with my best friend and his grandmother, may she RIP.

College Sports

Notre Dame - (see Bills)

Purdue - Drew Brees, almost went to college there, but decided to stay local because of the EX girlfriend :P

In terms of real hard core, try never to miss a game, etc

Bills

Sabres

That is why I still feel no team I really love has won a champonship yet.

Colleges

Maryland since 87 ( when I moved to DC) No major college teams in Buffalo and I went to a small school) One of two teams to win championship when I was rootin for them

Richmond since 2004 ( and yes, I think you can root for two colleges, especially in football in differant divisons) Football championship in 08, season tickets to both football and basketball now.

Orioles since 87

Wizards since 89 or so

Sheffield United-2004 Worked with a guy in the UK who was a player for them in the early 90's. Root for them to make the Premiership , which they have done once so far.

I don't know if you were hanging out here back a few years ago prior to registering, but there was this guy named JPEra who made this long asss post on the main wall about how he was giving up being a fan of the Bills and instantly changing his loyalty to the Lions, lmao. It ended up being one of the most entertaining, yet pathetic, threads of that year. I can't take people like that seriously when it comes to being a fan, man...

:P I sorta fell into the Phillies like that too, and I totally shared those sportscenter sentiments growing up. A few years ago I was a very casual fan. Now I'm complaining that they gave Howard an absurd contract and have partial season tix. Yes the timing of them getting good has certainly helped. It's also kinda cool I can say that I remember seeing Halladay pitch at Big Mac in the Cuse way back when. The other Philly fans annoy the f*&^ out of me.

I'm still very leery of Philadelphia sports fans in general...and it feels weird to be one of "them." You could hear a pin drop in the Vet when the Eagles hit their lull in the mid-90s (except for when they decided get excited about something like throwing batteries or booing an injured player). Then they came out in droves during the good times only to whine about their probowl QB for the past 5 years. Tards.

I went to Game 2 of the 2007 NLDS vs. Colorado. Backs against the wall (already down 0-1) and trailing 10-5 with 2+ innings left and people just sat there like stiffs. No pumping the team up, no energy...just loser defeatism. Things have definitely changed since the WS though...I think it took a championship to knock a collective chip off the city's shoulder.

You have partial seasons? I try to make it up to 5-6 per year. We should grab a beer at McFaddens some time.

That's awesome....one of the highlights of my childhood was seeing Reggie play, too. I was living in KC and the Angles were in town. I remember telling my dad how fast the guy still looked given his age at the time, lol. I don't remember him going yard, but I know he got on base.

By the way they're the only team I've followed that has won a championship. Game 7 top of the 9th two outs Percival on the mound I ran upstairs to listen to the last out on the radio. Better to hear the call from the local homers that I'd listened to for years then some putz on national TV. :P

Save your energy. I used to hate those kind of people, now I just laugh at them...and I'll tell you why:

As I explained in this thread, I've only been following the Phillies for a few years and my timing couldn't have been better. It's awesome to cheer for a winner and watch a quality team. But two years ago when they won the World Series, I felt like an impostor. I was at a bar near my law school watching the final game with a packed house of die-had Phillies fans. When Lidge threw that final strike, the place went apeshit. I was thrilled, but I knew I wasn't feeling what everyone else was. And I wasn't some team-swapper...I was a genuine fan. I just didn't have the investment others had.

A guy I didn't even know very well came over and gave me a huge hug. I watched as another friend called his father and tears were streaming down his face as they talked. That's how it will be for me when the Bills win a Super Bowl.

So people can jump ship and front-run all they want and they can fake it. But trust me, when they are pumping their fists and celebrating "their" championship, they aren't truly feeling it inside. That feeling, the feeling of unadulterated joy and relief, is only something you get when you stuck by during the lows.

And you can't fake that. :P

main addiction = bills since 90

world cup soccer since 94

chivas de guadalajara football club (mexican soccer) since i was forced by my uncles as a little chump.

gets weird:

lakers since like 90. HOWEVER, i dont like kobe anymore. so im not even watching right now...once kobe retires i will follow them again. 100% sure i will. cause i like the lakers. a lot.

Hockey, dont follow. i'll go to the games live though like once a year. ducks or kings. like the games live ONLY. i prefer the kings over the ducks.

baseball. loved the dodgers since about 1987. but i dont follow anymore. same as hockey, i'll go see a game live like once a year. but thats about it. dont like the angels.

my uncles forced me to be a guadalajara mexican football club fan. so i watch that from time to time.

Heh - I see your Flyers avatar. I have a dim memory - somewhere back in the mid-70's, of the Sabres knocking Philly out of the playoffs in the last or near to last game of that season, whatever it was. And PHI returning the favor and knockintg the daylights out of BUF for years after that.

Boy, what a great run of centers back around when the Sabs came into existence - Bobby Clarke, then Gil Perreault and and Guy Lefluer!

None. The only thing I follow intensely is the stock market because it's my job.

You must be getting quite the work out these last several days...

Like a roller coaster

Bills- for as long as I can remember, probably since '89. Even though my dad is a Giants fan, I loved watching Reed, Thurman, Kelly, etc., and found them far more exciting than the Giants. I've been with the Bills ever since.

Yankees- again, for as long as I can remember. Loved Don Mattingly.

Boston College sports, namely football, hockey, and basketball- since 2002, when I was a freshman there.

Those are the only teams that would cause me to freak out if they won a championship. As for pro hockey, basketball, and soccer, I don't really have a team. I casually root for the Sabres because I've seen them live many times and the Bills connection there, but I tend to root for underdogs and follow players I like in these sports. I do like the LA Kings, though, since moving out here– they are a great team to watch.

Bills

SC Gamecocks (local/alum)

Notre Dame (from when I was a kid)

WVU (love the raftting there)

Knicks- only pro team I knew growing up

Yankees-see above

UNC basketball--the first time i paid attention to the tourney was the montross /stackhouse yr, liked the way UNC played so ive loosely followed them since.

Never cared for hockey, but i like to see the sabres do well

Bill's --62 or so....I bleed Red White and Blue

Sabres--When we got'em. Played a few games at the Aud. Pretty cool. Tournaments an such. Shiity Ice I remember. Played some minor stuff in Canada. Fciukin Canuks.

Yankee's-- 62 or so. Always a Yankees fan, number 1

Buc's 85 --Super bowl Champs, Always a Bills fan number 1. Still nice to celebrate a SB win.

Rays - 01 ALC, I hate Philly teams.

Lighting- when we got'em --Stanley Cup Champs. Sabres fan number 1. Still nice to celebrate a SC champinship.

Save your energy. I used to hate those kind of people, now I just laugh at them...and I'll tell you why:

As I explained in this thread, I've only been following the Phillies for a few years and my timing couldn't have been better. It's awesome to cheer for a winner and watch a quality team. But two years ago when they won the World Series, I felt like an impostor. I was at a bar near my law school watching the final game with a packed house of die-had Phillies fans. When Lidge threw that final strike, the place went apeshit. I was thrilled, but I knew I wasn't feeling what everyone else was. And I wasn't some team-swapper...I was a genuine fan. I just didn't have the investment others had.

A guy I didn't even know very well came over and gave me a huge hug. I watched as another friend called his father and tears were streaming down his face as they talked. That's how it will be for me when the Bills win a Super Bowl.

So people can jump ship and front-run all they want and they can fake it. But trust me, when they are pumping their fists and celebrating "their" championship, they aren't truly feeling it inside. That feeling, the feeling of unadulterated joy and relief, is only something you get when you stuck by during the lows.

And you can't fake that. :P

The difference is that you didn't have a premeditated motive to find a winner and latch on to them. With you, that's just the way the circumstances went down. The Phillies just happened to be getting good when you became a fan. Not your fault, that's just the way it was.

It'll be the same for me if the Flyers win the cup this year. First of all, I'm only a marginal hockey fan. Secondly, I've only been a flyers fan since '95. So while you can bet your asss I'll be very excited if they win, it'll be NOTHING like if the Bills won the Superbowl or like the Braves winning the WS again. Like you, I just don't have the same time and emotion invested in the Flyers that a lot of the Philly fans do. But that's exactly why I became a fan of both the Flyers and Sixers...I maybe couldn't have given a flying fanooter about the NBA or NHL, but the FANS in Philly and the MEDIA in Philly just overwhelmed me to where I got sucked in to the scene, and next thing I know I'm attached. That city is just amazing in terms of the sports culture and the depth of the fandom. You just don't see that everywhere, you know?