Clayton ranks the worst 5 offseasons

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't really argue with the assessment. I'd feel a lot better if I knew our OL was upgraded entering the season. Still, maybe it's good that expectations are at a rock bottom for us around the league.

FWIW, he says things look worse for us because our AFC East rivals have had 3 of the best 5 offseasons.

the mouse's blog

We have a lot of unknowns. I think he's spot on on all except as to how we will perform. That remains to be seen. Not sure even the coaches know. We probably won't have an idea until well into training camp.

C

His second sentance sums it up for the Bills approach to Free agency...

'Bad teams can't get that much better because the list of quality free agents was short.'

There ya go. Nix wasn't going to be Donahoe, Levy or Brandon and just sign guys to appease fans. The right guys weren't there so we signed who all might help this team with this system that was available.

Step outside your Bills hat for a moment and take a look from outside that bubble. If I'm a football writer looking at 32 teams, clearly the Bills had the worst offseason. The football writers of world believe the Bills two biggest short comings are Quarterback and Left Tackle. Neither position was adequately addressed in the offseason from their perspective. Levi Brown and Wang could become solid players, but it ain't happening this year or next year.

However... my understanding is that no team has ever, ever, ever won a game or made the playoffs in any offseason. So, we'll just have to wait and see what unfolds.

I don't blame anyone for casting doubt on this team. It has sucked for a decade. Hopefully, with a fresh set of eyes from a GM, coach, and player personnel director, there may be an actual building plan in place that works. In Sept., when the live bullets fly, I'll set back @ 1pm each Sun., flip on the TV, see what happens and draw my own conclusions. Until then... I ain't buying what they're selling. They'll need to prove it to me before I buy another ticket to a game.

Step outside your Bills hat for a moment and take a look from outside that bubble. If I'm a football writer looking at 32 teams, clearly the Bills had the worst offseason. The football writers of world believe the Bills two biggest short comings are Quarterback and Left Tackle. Neither position was adequately addressed in the offseason from their perspective. Levi Brown and Wang could become solid players, but it ain't happening this year or next year.

However... my understanding is that no team has ever, ever, ever won a game or made the playoffs in any offseason. So, we'll just have to wait and see what unfolds.

I don't blame anyone for casting doubt on this team. It has sucked for a decade. Hopefully, with a fresh set of eyes from a GM, coach, and player personnel director, there may be an actual building plan in place that works. In Sept., when the live bullets fly, I'll set back @ 1pm each Sun., flip on the TV, see what happens and draw my own conclusions. Until then... I ain't buying what they're selling. They'll need to prove it to me before I buy another ticket to a game.

Or a single $$ worth of merchandise and for the first time in over a decade for me The Sunday Ticket.

Other than the two (glaring) research errors about positions, I don't see how any objective fan can find fault in what he said in this article.

The Bills missed on getting a big name coach. They missed on getting an experienced GM. They missed on getting OL help in FA or the draft. They missed on getting QB help. They missed on getting WR help. They're switching defensive philosophies and having to rely on untested, second round (and lower) rookies to man the most crucial spots on that new defense ...

All the while the rest of the AFC East got a whole lot tougher.

As it stands right now, looking at all the rosters in the league (and keep in mind it will change as camps go along), the Bills have the worst Offensive Line in the leauge (they might get a bump up if Wood can indeed come back in time for camp). They have absolutely the worst LB corps in the league (they had it last year too -- before they switched to 3-4). They have the league's most unsettled QB position (but not the worst). Last year they had one of the worst pass rushes in the league -- they didn't improve this year in terms of talent, but the hope is that the change in scheme will bump up the pressure (and it can't do any worse than last year to be fair). And they have, outside of Jacksonville, maybe the worst WR corps in the league as far as NFL proven WRs.

That's the doom and gloom rationale. And yet it's also the facts of the current situation. What the doom and gloomers (and Clayton) discount though is the ability for players to finally perform up to their expectations (Hardy, Trent/Brohm, Bell, Troup, Maybin). If the Bills are going to improve on their record of last year they're going to need all of those guys to take a massive step forward in their development. Which, is NOT out of the realm of possibility.

Still, the Bills are rolling the dice and leaving themselves no outs. Because if they don't take that step forward, this team will be everything the doom and gloomers are saying ... and worse.

But, to be fair, this is a rebuilding year. The painful thing is that the whole rebuilding process (probably 2 years, maybe 3 -- time which can be shorter or longer depending on how and when they finally address the QB situation) is going to be seriously delayed by the lockout in '11. That's what kills me. If this year's team tanks, then they have to sit out for a whole year ... meaning they don't get to develop. Our good players lose a year off their careers. And we start '12 in the same hole -- if not bigger. But that's just the nature of the lockout I guess.