Whitner done with Twitter

Kevin

Whitners contract sucks - he should take a paycut :thumbsup:

OK -- say your boss says I think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm going to pay you $750,000 a year. Would you say, Thanks, but I suck. I'm really worth only $18,500 a year.

Think about it. He was drafted in the top 10. His agent (who also makes money based on the size of this transaction) got wood and demanded top-10 salary. don't blame him for the Bills' stupidity.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh we're not close to the only ones but that was supposed to be what was great about the Bills: the fans. Honestly, no NFL player is pumped to go to Buffalo or GB? But we had the best fans around and players rave about the college atmosphere in both players. But with this crap and the McKelvin nonsense (as minor as it is), it still makes us look bad.

How often do you hear about GB fans being jerks?

Not so much in the last few years, because they've been mostly successful ever since Favre showed up. But back in their less-successful days ...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,943030,00.html

Not so much in the last few years, because they've been mostly successful ever since Favre showed up. But back in their less-successful days ...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,943030,00.html

Interesting because I started watching football about the time Farve went to GB, so I didn't know about all that. But I do reember that before God told Reggie White to go to GB, they had a real problem attracting FAs, especially black ones. I wonder if the fans' behavior was part of the problem.

In fact, he is regarded as a top 10 safety in this league by just about everyone in the league.

This is the same guy who lost his job to a converted WR last year right? Shouldn't a player be a starter on his own team if he's going to be "regarded" as a top 10 safety in the NFL?

I love when you just make sh*t up Adouche! :thumbsup:

The Whit was a stud in college, OK in the NFL. I disagree that he's a product of a poor defensive scheme and that he'd be great on another team but agree that it's not his fault he got drafted so high. If he was a second round pick, which suits him better now that we've seen him play for years, people might be going easier on him.

He seems like a good guy, I have to admit I was surprised when the cops had to use the tazer on him. He should've tweeted how that felt. Man it had to hurt.

Im just laughing at how slow things are after the draft and before camp starts, and the ridiculous stuff that comes up on this board during the NFL doldrums that we are in now.

Oh we're not close to the only ones but that was supposed to be what was great about the Bills: the fans. Honestly, no NFL player is pumped to go to Buffalo or GB? But we had the best fans around and players rave about the college atmosphere in both players. But with this crap and the McKelvin nonsense (as minor as it is), it still makes us look bad.

The McKelvin issue was far more damaging than Donte closing his Twitter account.

Donte closing his Twitter account is similar to a player refusing to speak to the media because they will not write nice things about him.

Big freaking deal.

I can't vouch for anybody else, but I will not be losing sleep over this.

Its funny, but a long long time ago, say throughout the 90's, when the Bills won more games than they lost, the Bills attracted all kinds of quality free agents.

Free Agents and coaches aren't coming here now because we suck and seem without direction. Period. Until the Bills decide to get serious about football, don't think that top echelon football people are going to want to come to Buffalo.

It's really that easy.

That it is. Well said.

Fact of the matter is that Whitner is well regarded around this league as a very good STRONG SAFETY, as opposed to FS or CB which he has been forced to play numerous times in his career. Dumb fans and internet tough guys look at his interception stats and declare him a bust, but interceptions aren't the best measure of a strong safety's effectiveness in most defensive schemes.

Furthermore, he has played 4 seasons behind a front 7 built in the Dick Jauron mold. It's hard for any strong safety in this league to excel at their job when they are the same size as the OLB's and are constantly having to navigate around the fallen bodies of teammates not big or strong enough to hold their own at the point of attack.

Also, it should be noted that Whitner was dealing with injury issues for most of last season.

No, Whitner shouldn't have been drafted #8 overall. And no, he shouldn't have guaranteed the playoffs in 2008. And yes, he probably should have seen the twitter wrath coming. But to say the Bills are just as well off or even better without him is asinine.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/05/17/w...e-with-twitter/

Do you really want players get to the point where they don't want to play in Buffalo because of the fans? I know that many of you don't like Whitner but this guy put himself out there on Twitter for YOU the fan.

Don't make Bills fans the dumbest fans in America.

I agree. It's one thing to be a Monday Morning QB, but lately Bills "fans" will do anything and say anything to insult the players because they think they know and can do better. It's pathetic. :bag:

Oh Jesus. Like somehow only Bills fans are idiots and disrespectful towards players.

No that is not what i am saying, in fact i never said those words. Donte's house got broken into and jewelry got stolen from it, Leodis's house trashed. Donte being disrespected.

This stuff adds up, it's one thing to not like a player fine, but to go out of your way to cause harm, mentally, physically, emotionally is ignorant and childish. One of the biggest fears of players now in the NFL is keeping them and their family safe that is why alot of them carry guns. . . Sometimes the safety of one self, family, property overshadows any kid of money. Though it does not apply in Whitners "Twitter case" but it does in the others.

Fact of the matter is that Whitner is well regarded around this league as a very good STRONG SAFETY, as opposed to FS or CB which he has been forced to play numerous times in his career. Dumb fans and internet tough guys look at his interception stats and declare him a bust, but interceptions aren't the best measure of a strong safety's effectiveness in most defensive schemes.

Furthermore, he has played 4 seasons behind a front 7 built in the Dick Jauron mold. It's hard for any strong safety in this league to excel at their job when they are the same size as the OLB's and are constantly having to navigate around the fallen bodies of teammates not big or strong enough to hold their own at the point of attack.

Also, it should be noted that Whitner was dealing with injury issues for most of last season.

No, Whitner shouldn't have been drafted #8 overall. And no, he shouldn't have guaranteed the playoffs in 2008. And yes, he probably should have seen the twitter wrath coming. But to say the Bills are just as well off or even better without him is asinine.

^this +2. I understadn people are not happy with Whitner, but he is a valuable asset on this team, leadership and passion wise.

My problem with Whitner is very simple- I'm convinced the Bills are a better team when he is not on the field. I like the idea of a Wilson, Byrd, Scott combo at safety. I believe the Bills are better off with Wilson starting at SS over Whitner. Wilson seems to be a better fit at a much cheaper price. Whitner is incredibly expendable and the Bills should do what's best for the team and trade him.

Whitner is a good player. Buffalo fans want to get rid of their better players, really?

I mean seriously, what a bunch of j@ck@sses. First, Tim Graham was driven off this board. I would rather hear from him that the bunch of idiots that just like to complain. I would bet any amount of money that if the Bills ever get back to the Superbowl there will be a bunch of people here who will be complaining about how they should cut half the team while someone else will say it should be the other half.

Whitner is a good player. Frankly, compared to some of the first round draft picks the Bills have selected, he is really good. I like him. He doesn't get in trouble. He does whatever the coaches ask. He shows up and works hard. Isn't the blue collar players that Buffalo is supposed to like?

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/05/17/w...e-with-twitter/

Do you really want players get to the point where they don't want to play in Buffalo because of the fans? I know that many of you don't like Whitner but this guy put himself out there on Twitter for YOU the fan.

Don't make Bills fans the dumbest fans in America.

first of all anyone that pays attention to Twitter needs to get a life

secondly to say he is on there for the fans is just comical

make no mistake he is on there for himself and no one else

YOU the fan, that's just dumb

I love how people bash Whitner on this board.

It is not his fault for being drafted number 8 overall, it was a dumb move by our then F.O., yet all the blame falls on him.

He may not be the best player at his position but hes a damn good leader and one of the only guys to show any type of emotion last year(Crying after a heartbreaking loss, takling the Oakland receiver in the endzone for showboating). Not to mention one of the nicest, down to earth football players you will ever meet, and a great community guy, no thug.

Plus do people actually stop and think that this will have a negative effect on free agency, or any player signing with the Bills in teh future. If he goes somewhere else, and a player from his new team is coming for a visit here and Donte is asked about his time here, the first things that will come up, the disrecpect the fans showed him.

People need to stop and think, or atlesast show a little respect. Just my $.50

Agreed. He's a good player. Worth the number 8 pick, perhpas not, but not his fault. He always puts his 100% in, and like you said, actually appears to care about winning--which is amazing when Dick Jauron is your coach. I'm looking forward to seeing what this team does w/ a real HC. And, it's not like he pulled a Santonio Holmes and basically told all the fans to go f' off.