Cushing wins re-vote

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. The NFL allowed the AP to vote already knowing Cushing had failed. If the NFL does not care then why should the AP? There should have never been a re-vote in the first place. The NFL put the AP voters in an awful ethical dilemma and the AP just pushed back. I have no problem with it. Let the NFL deal with having the AP DROY on HCG -- not the AP's fault.

The NFL had no say in The Associated Press' decision.

The decision was made by the AP to have a re-vote. I cannot speak to anything further, because I was not involved in the discussion, nor am I one of the 50 voters.

How this went down is how this went down.

jw

The NFL had no say in The Associated Press' decision.

The decision was made by the AP to have a re-vote. I cannot speak to anything further, because I was not involved in the discussion, nor am I one of the 50 voters.

How this went down is how this went down.

jw

I think where he was going is ; the NFL should have released a statement in Sept. when he failed the test, and that he was appealing it. Why wait till now to release the information. There was no reason not to make it public other than the NFL's self serving attitude about the timing of the news release.

It is probably petty and unnecessary, but I felt the urge to send Don Banks (voted for Brian Cushing in the re-vote) an email...

"I hope you come in second place for some journalism award to a guy who was caught plagerizing their articles. Your vote for a known cheater in the AP DROTY is a joke and an embarrassment. I will no longer waste my time reading your articles and I don't think I am alone in losing much respect for any "sportswriter" that can justify awarding a steroid using cheater with such a prestigious award. At least it was prestigious prior to this fiasco."

He was the best rookie. If he were a Bill, many of you would be saying this positive test was blown way out of proportion.

But he's not a Bill. And he used performance-enhancing drugs. Which is wrong.

This is the correct outcome. The Associated Press writers can only vote based on what a player does on the field. The fact that he failed a test in September and the appeals process took 8 months is the joke here. How hard is it?

NFL Office: "Mr. Cushing, you failed your drug test for ______________. Please come to New York on Wednesday and state your case. We'll have our final decision next week."

If something is on the banned substance list, it's either an illegal product, a performance-enhancer, or a masking agent for a performance enhancer. The list is public knowledge, distributed to all players, and whether they knowingly or unknowingly take something is irrelevant. You fail a test, you're suspended. Easy. Appeal? Reviewed and denied. This substance in your system is on the banned list.

Therefore, if the NFL let him play, the AP should vote him the ROY if the voters feel he was the best rookie ON THE FIELD. You start to go down a slippery slope when you're making decisions based on what should or shouldn't have happened, rather than what did happen. If the NFL acted appropriately and Cushing missed four games, he wouldn't have been ROY. Since he played all 16 and played well, the AP only has that to work with. The re-vote in itself was a mistake.

Shows what a joke journalists are. Oops. Did I say that out loud?

:D

In other news, the people responsible for the AP ROTY tally have now voted to award Jayson Blair a Pulitzer.

This includes Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star Telegram and John McClain of the Houston Chronicle (no conflict of interest there LOL).

Exactly. The NFL knows when the AP votes -- they do it the same time every year. They certainly knew Cushing was the leading candidate to win. Just puts the journalist in a tough position -- that's all.

I think where he was going is ; the NFL should have released a statement in Sept. when he failed the test, and that he was appealing it. Why wait till now to release the information. There was no reason not to make it public other than the NFL's self serving attitude about the timing of the news release.

All of the AP writers that voted for Cushing should be FIRED.... Since when is cheating acceptable..... WHAT A JOKE.

I hope one of the REAL news stations picks this up and beats it to death.... DISGUSTING.

Excellent point.

It has and was awarded to someone else. I only briefly paid attention, but I figured that his name would have been removed from the voting all together. This is why sports 'journalism' is a joke and people need to stop supporting bad insutitions.

It is probably petty and unnecessary, but I felt the urge to send Don Banks (voted for Brian Cushing in the re-vote) an email...

"I hope you come in second place for some journalism award to a guy who was caught plagerizing their articles. Your vote for a known cheater in the AP DROTY is a joke and an embarrassment. I will no longer waste my time reading your articles and I don't think I am alone in losing much respect for any "sportswriter" that can justify awarding a steroid using cheater with such a prestigious award. At least it was prestigious prior to this fiasco."

Banks was such a joke even before this--he and Peter King, the Pats*' homer duo. They both live in Beantown and, at least for King, lately, that seems to be about all they typically write about. Check out King's MMQB this week for a perfect example--Brady for about half and then a bunch of off-topic non-football Boston stuff at the end. It's getting pretty tired, especially when their favorite team hasn't really done squat (other than SB choking and getting caught cheating) in about 5 years.....

People: The Associated Press organizes the vote and tabulates the ballots. The voters are not AP writers. They are writers and broadcasters from other publications who cover the NFL. Let's make this clear.

jw

John does that make it right to vote for a proven cheater?

what a joke, seriously. if it was byrd who won it from the onset he probably never would have won a revote...

i seriously hope that cushing gets a career ending injury this year, then he could take his little award and steroids and just disappear so we never have to see that loser again.