Cushing wins re-vote

Wow! I wonder how the voting journalists would feel if a major journalism award was given to someone who plagerized their articles?

Best point in any thread I've seen in a long while. :D

It is really amazing when you compare baseball to football...in baseball, you get suspended for 50 games and you have a scarlet letter...in football, all they do is talk about how this will affect the team. What are they going to do without his production?? Football appears to not give a flying pigskin if it's players are juicing.

Wrongo Betty Lou.

Link

The penalties for a positive result are, first positive, 10 days; second, 30 days; third, 60 days; fourth, one year

Notice those are days and not games. The first offense in Baseball is 10 days. In football it's four games. So in baseball, we'll be generous, you miss 8 games out of 182 or 4% of a season. In football they miss four games or 25% of the season. Football also had a steroid policy long before baseball so I think you have your thoughts reversed. JMO

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i cannot speak for those who cast their votes.

if you read the latest story that's moved on the AP wire, it quotes two voters who stuck with Cushing. why not you be the judge.

jw

It really does not matter what the public thinks, it will not change anything. As the great Dick Jauron once said "perception is in the eye of the perceiver"

what a joke, seriously. if it was byrd who won it from the onset he probably never would have won a revote...

i seriously hope that cushing gets a career ending injury this year, then he could take his little award and steroids and just disappear so we never have to see that loser again.

Take a step back buddy. It is not that big a deal. You should never wish that on anybody. Especially someone you don't even know. Bad Karma Kramer.....

It really does not matter what the public thinks, it will not change anything. As the great Dick Jauron once said "perception is in the eye of the perceiver"

and what Jauron said was true. whatever my views are on the results of this vote are generally immaterial, and i shall not share them here because it's not my place in part because of a conflict of interest.

but i think it creates for a great discussion, aside from, of course, the "sky's falling," types who demand people be fired for having and expressing and sticking up for their opinions -- which is what they are paid to do in the first place.

jw

My son is 7. I always tell him "cheaters never win." When he's old enough to understand how the Patriots, Yankees, Red Sox and Cushing all won by cheating ... he'll be asking me, "who are you effin kidding, dad?"

Yeah the AP now has no credibility in my eyes. Let's re-vote and pick the guy on the jucie again. BS

why: for re-opening the vote to a panel of 50 non-AP journalists, to determine whether Cushing should keep an award after testing positive for a banned substance. and the fact that 18 of those non-AP journalists voted in favor of Cushing somehow casts an ill light on the AP?

so, what you're saying is that the AP should have somehow rigged the vote so that Cushing didn't win. yes, i see the credibility in that.

jw

NOTE: The AP just recently moved a list of the voters and how they voted. For those who care to do a search for it, it's somewhere out there on the intrawebs.

i bet this is NOT over......i think the powers that be at the AP, that insisted on a re-vote were hoping for a different outcome (that someone other than Cushing would win). i think the AP will now consider stripping him of the award and awarding it to the second place finisher, which is what they should have done in the first place.

I am extremely disapointed John. Shame on the AP for voting for a cheater.

:D

Looks like we're gearing up to run John out of here like we did with Tim Graham. Be mad over the fact that Cushing the Cheater won the DROY, but don't blame the AP.

Blame the 18 ostriches who stuck their heads in the sand and voted for him a second time.

and what Jauron said was true. whatever my views are on the results of this vote are generally immaterial, and i shall not share them here because it's not my place in part because of a conflict of interest.

but i think it creates for a great discussion, aside from, of course, the "sky's falling," types who demand people be fired for having and expressing and sticking up for their opinions -- which is what they are paid to do in the first place.

jw

You mean the skies not falling at OBD? I am sure you have been doing this a long time JW and you realized that if some one disagrees with what you write that you are dead wrong and you have no clue what you are talking about. You didn't know we have over 10,000 football and literary experts on TSW, me being one of them.

My son is 7. I always tell him "cheaters never win." When he's old enough to understand how the Patriots, Yankees, Red Sox and Cushing all won by cheating ... he'll be asking me, "who are you effin kidding, dad?"

whoa, whoa, whoa! The Yankees do NOT cheat. Stop lying to your boy.

i cannot speak for those who cast their votes.

if you read the latest story that's moved on the AP wire, it quotes two voters who stuck with Cushing. why not you be the judge.

jw

Yup, just saw that, and the verbal acrobatics those two go through to justify their votes certainly make me want to buy a bridge over the East River.

Not like your industry needs any more help, but this revote doesn't put the profession in a positive light. I'm sure the league isn't too happy with the outcome either.

I am extremely disapointed John. Shame on the AP for voting for a cheater.

The AP didn't vote. Read what John wrote and don't blame the AP. Look up the voters and how they voted and blame them if you want, but don't blame the organizers of the vote.

whoa, whoa, whoa! The Yankees do NOT cheat. Stop lying to your boy.

LOL! I'm not telling him the Yankees cheated. The only thing I tell him bad about the Yankees is that Hal Steinbrenner is a jerk for snubbing Joe Torre in the Yankee Stadium Farewell ceremonies. Clemens, A-Rod, Pettite, Giambi .... ummm ... the rings are tainted, man. I'm just glad my Mets won it back in the 80s when everyone was on coke and beer ... the anti-PEDs!!