Gailey believes Bills can pull off Dolphin like turnaround

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there any other way?

Well sure... some here seem to believe in an immediate turnaround each and every year before the season even begins... No matter who's been drafted or signed... no matter who the coach or GM is... Its the right answer...

Again, I'll temper my expectations until it actually happens and the slump ends... If Gailey "believes he can pull off a Dolphin like turnaround", wonderful! But lets actually see it happen on the field when the chips are down...

Well sure... some here seem to believe in an immediate turnaround each and every year before the season even begins... No matter who's been drafted or signed... (1) no matter who the coach or GM is... (2) Its the right answer...

Again, I'll temper my expectations until it actually happens and the slump ends... (3) If Gailey "believes he can pull off a Dolphin like turnaround", wonderful! But lets actually see it happen on the field when the chips are down...

1. actually who the gm and coach are is the beginning of things getting better

2. no it's not - the right answer is i really hope you are right about the complete turn around season but i'll be happy with an improvement of the product on the field

3. and finally - a turn around season CAN'T be accomplished if the hc does not believe it can - it begins there on the field

1. actually who the gm and coach are is the beginning of things getting better

If you're talking about any team... sure, ok... Bill Polian and Tony Dungy... or Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli... I'd have some hope with combos like that... and they actually worked... Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix? That's really just your hopeful opinion, because as of yet, they have done nothing on the field... Again, I go back to my original point: I'll wait till I actually see it happen...

2. no it's not - the right answer is i really hope you are right about the complete turn around season but i'll be happy with an improvement of the product on the field

Again... we are talking hope here... Hope springs eternal with the Bills... A new regime... a fresh outlook... Everything is gonna turn around with a clean slate! How many times have we gone through this "fresh start" now? We as Bills fans have lowered our expectations to the point of "being happy to just see an improvement.." That's how bad its been... The ultimate goal in the NFL is to win the Super Bowl... Granted, if the Bills even have a winning season or, dare I say, miraculously win the division, that's something to build on... IF... I reiterate my original point: I'll wait till I see it actually happen...

3. and finally - a turn around season CAN'T be accomplished if the hc does not believe it can - it begins there on the field

Ummm.... OK.... An NFL HC would not be an NFL HC if he didn't believe that... no matter who or where he coaches... What's your point? Everybody wants to win... they're all competitors... Like I said before, if Gailey believes the Bills can turn things around immediately, wonderful! More power to ya Chan! I'd love to actually see it happen! But will it when the chips are down? Hope is a dangerous thing... especially when it comes to this team...

Everybody starts the season undefeated and in first place.

We had New England beat last year, and when that thing blew up, the season was over. Jauron and company blew it. They changed OC's a minute before the opener and canned the LT. Ran the no-huddle, perhaps the worst idea Jauron ever had. Their conditioning was horrid. 20 guys out for the year.

Fresh start, offensive minded coach, new weapons, healthy people coming back. This team has the potential to make a lot of noise, and that's why I tune into this page every day of my life.

Why does it seem so hard to fathom a turn around season? ---New coaches, new leadership and new philosophies are often the driving force behind teams making a turn around. The other reason that often propels teams is the players having a chip on their shoulder and an 'us' vs 'everyone else' mentality.......which I am starting to see blossom, by the way.

Off the top of my head; Last year at least 3 games got away from us. (the first NE game, the Cleveland game and even the Jacksonville game) These are games we should have won, but because of questionable coaching and lack of dicipline on the players part, we lost. If we would have made one more 'fundamentally' sound plays, we would have had a 9-7 season, and thats STILL considering we played with coaching changes, OC firings and 20+ injuries. ---Our Back-ups to the back-ups would have had us on the verge of a wild card when you think of it. ----I know, I know, the what if's......

The thought that Nix/Gailey believe and preach fundamentally sound football (first and foremost) and are bringing in players with solid work ethics and football intelligence, show that this is the mind-set, the 'culture' of the new Buffalo Bills.

These core values that are the focus of the new coaching staff were the very reasons why we lost many of our games.

Gaileys ability to build an offensive scheme around the talent available on a team is the second reason why we'll be better. One of his skill sets that constantly get mentioned was what Gailey did offensively with QB's like Thigpen. If we play sound football, get consistancy from the QB position (even at the smallest level) and stay healthy (the third area of focus Gailey established) we can win 10 games. Heck, I'd even say we're ready for an upset or two and that would qualify us for a 'turn-around' season.

I'm optimistic. --Teams will soon find out that they have to pack a lunch when they play the Buffalo Bills.

Just my thoughts. :)

GO BILLS!

"So to say (dramatic improvement) hasn't been done would be a lie, It can be done." - Chan Gailey

"Winning in the NFL is hard" - Dick Jauron

Pretty well sums up why DJ was doomed by his own beliefs. Gaily still has to prove it during the season but I like his rhetoric so far.

Pretty well sums up why DJ was doomed by his own beliefs. Gaily still has to prove it during the season but I like his rhetoric so far.

And that's all there is, and can be, so far. Let's face it, Ralph could hire me as HC and I could make the statement:

Not only can we have dramatic improvement, we will have dramatic improvement and by golly you mark my words, the Buffalo Bills will be in the superbowl this season !!!!!

Excellent rhetoric, but all BS.

Give Chan and Buddy a chance. Don't piss in everyone cornflakes without seeing what they can do. But don't blow sunshine up everyones ass by claiming they are the second coming until you see what they can do either.

And that's all there is, and can be, so far. Let's face it, Ralph could hire me as HC and I could make the statement:

Not only can we have dramatic improvement, we will have dramatic improvement and by golly you mark my words, the Buffalo Bills will be in the superbowl this season !!!!!

Excellent rhetoric, but all BS.

Give Chan and Buddy a chance. Don't piss in everyone cornflakes without seeing what they can do. But don't blow sunshine up everyones ass by claiming they are the second coming until you see what they can do either.

I don't want anything blown up my a$$ :)

If Gailey "believes he can pull off a Dolphin like turnaround", wonderful! But lets actually see it happen on the field when the chips are down...

Unlike Jauron, I believe Gailey actually EXPECTS to win. Now, whether that actually translates onto the field remains to be seen. Jauron looked defeated before he ever set foot out on the turf.

Like you, I will reserve judgment until I see results. This team has justifiably lost the fans trust. It's now up to them to win it back...through winning.

I am a supporter of Gailey - I've liked what I've seen of him and I think he is the right guy for us because - he's proven he can win, he's done it with little, and he's got a chip on his shoulder, too. He recognizes what Buffalo is like, what it could and should be like, and he and Buddy are putting together a strong, tough football team. Look at where these guys are drawing their experience and wisdom - teams like Dallas, San Diego, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo-when it was successful. Our team already looks a lot like a Pittsburg team of four or five years ago.

I'm of the opinion that the Bills have been adding talent for years, they've just screwed up coaching it, and have put the players in the wrong schemes and situations to win - look at last year - it was a circus. They are doing what needs be done to build a long lasting, competitive team.

What they aren't openly saying, though, but which I think has been said clearly between the lines, is that they are expecting to put it together next year, with a star rookie QB. As much as they've said they are expecting to win and to make the team respectable again, they are also saying - and the draft really made it obvious - that they chose to fix the defense this year, and that they'll finish off the offense next year.

No matter - I think we're all going to like the look and Identity of this team this year. One other thing Gailey's got going for him - he's got experience with young guys. Our team is young. The core of it will grow with him over the next half decade - I think we'll notice how well they respond to him as opposed Jauron - you can see the energy already, the us v.s. the world mentality - and I think that spirit is underrated in the NFL. I think that spirit is what propels the Patriots - especially that first title, and hopefully we've got it going for us now, too.

Everybody starts the season undefeated and in first place.

We had New England beat last year, and when that thing blew up, the season was over. Jauron and company blew it. They changed OC's a minute before the opener and canned the LT. Ran the no-huddle, perhaps the worst idea Jauron ever had. Their conditioning was horrid. 20 guys out for the year.

Fresh start, offensive minded coach, new weapons, healthy people coming back. This team has the potential to make a lot of noise, and that's why I tune into this page every day of my life.

I still laugh at the idea of a no huddle last year. Jauron has to be the worst offensive mind ever to coach this team. That is really bad because that list includes John Rauch, Jim Ringo, Harvey Johnson, Kay Stephson and Hank Bollough.

I'll never stop rooting for this team, but I'll believe in the turnaround when it actually happens....

We lost something like 5-6 games by a total of something like 20 points? We would have beat NE at home if not for a stupid turnover?

This team is NOT as bad as people make it. There is just as good a shot this team turns it around fast like Miami did as there is they do crappy.

We lost something like 5-6 games by a total of something like 20 points? We would have beat NE at home if not for a stupid turnover?

This team is NOT as bad as people make it. There is just as good a shot this team turns it around fast like Miami did as there is they do crappy.

yup, stay healthy, better run D, improved O, thats 3 things we couldnt do last yr that we will do this year, so why cant we do the 1 yr flip and at least get a wild card.

Why is it that when Snyder buys up all the FA's it's stupid and trying to buy victories, but when the NYJ do it they have improved the team and are the team to beat etc, etc..

What has NE done that guarentees they stay at the top?

We can win this year