• NY Strip
    • Other
    • Barbarians! Cows are Earthlings too!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: No kidding, that's this guy.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I was a stock boy at a grocery store. We had a butcher - Frank was his name - that was a chronic braggart. Anything anyone could do, he claimed he did it better.

One day, he was relating tales of his greatness to a group of us 16 and 17 year olds. He stated at some point, that he can do anything - just ask.

A fellow stock boy stretched out a slightly raised arm, and with deadpan face, snapped his fingers and in even tone said ..."Can you do this?"

:)

BTW, the best (and the only one, AFAIK) butcher movie ever:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048356/

Tuna count? rare

I love tuna but I believe they are being overfished and "over-served" - everyplace you go now has tuna as the feature. Other than as good sashimi (in a very good sushi joint) I've stoppoed eating it.

We're movin' in everywhere bro! :thumbsup:

Well - be sure to tell all your buds to pay for auto insurance - unlike the fellow that tore off the rear bumper of my wife's car 2 years ago. He paid $300 bail, then vanished. We forked over a $500 deductible and our ins. co. forked out another $1,500 for the repair. :)

I love me a good Fillet. I just ate at Michael Mina's Stripsteak in Vegas and it was absolutely fantastic! They cook the Fillet there wonderfully - you get three different flavors: The flavor of the meat, the flavor of the grill, and the flavor of the butter poaching that they use on it. The combination of the three is fantastic.

My girl's Ribeye was also great, but you couldn't taste all three flavors nearly as well - hence one of the reasons why I love Fillets. Done right, it can be a more complex taste than other steaks. BTW, the Duck-fat Truffle Fries and the Truffled Mac N Cheese were to die for!

The next night I also ate at Hubert Keller's Fleur De Lys. Ate the Prix Fixe 4-course menu, which included a Fillet. Even though Fleur De Lys is supposed to be a "better" restaurant, I liked the Fillet at Stripsteak much better. The Fillet at Fleur De Lys was cooked in a way that didn't give it much flavor outside of the meat, which meant a not-so-tasty Fillet. Fortunately, the Truffled Onion Soup, Yukon Gold Veal Ravioli, and Popcorn-flavored Ice Cream more than made up for it!

I picked other because one choice wasn't enough. I love steak, especially with Heinz 57. (I wish restaurants carried it)

I do agree that cows are earthlings too and so about 24 hours after I've eaten part of one I return it to the earth.

I picked other because one choice wasn't enough. I love steak, especially with Heinz 57. (I wish restaurants carried it)

I do agree that cows are earthlings too and so about 24 hours after I've eaten part of one I return it to the earth.

Good steak doesnt need steak sauce

As much as I enjoy a good steak I'm seriously looking at cutting way back, like a 3oz portion per week. Not out of any PETA-esque concerns but that I feel much better physically with a diet heavier in vegetables. Gotta cut the carbs way back too.

PTR

Well - be sure to tell all your buds to pay for auto insurance - unlike the fellow that tore off the rear bumper of my wife's car 2 years ago. He paid $300 bail, then vanished. We forked over a $500 deductible and our ins. co. forked out another $1,500 for the repair. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that. We have our share of dumbasses,just like any other ethnic group.

I love me a good Fillet. I just ate at Michael Mina's Stripsteak in Vegas and it was absolutely fantastic! They cook the Fillet there wonderfully - you get three different flavors: The flavor of the meat, the flavor of the grill, and the flavor of the butter poaching that they use on it. The combination of the three is fantastic.

My girl's Ribeye was also great, but you couldn't taste all three flavors nearly as well - hence one of the reasons why I love Fillets. Done right, it can be a more complex taste than other steaks. BTW, the Duck-fat Truffle Fries and the Truffled Mac N Cheese were to die for!

The next night I also ate at Hubert Keller's Fleur De Lys. Ate the Prix Fixe 4-course menu, which included a Fillet. Even though Fleur De Lys is supposed to be a "better" restaurant, I liked the Fillet at Stripsteak much better. The Fillet at Fleur De Lys was cooked in a way that didn't give it much flavor outside of the meat, which meant a not-so-tasty Fillet. Fortunately, the Truffled Onion Soup, Yukon Gold Veal Ravioli, and Popcorn-flavored Ice Cream more than made up for it!

That's because Michael Mina kicks Keller's ass all day. Now Thomas Keller's ass? Not so much.

Not in the topic - but Ruth's Chris Steakhouse to me is about the ultimate. I've been to Gallagher's, Smith & Wollensky and Sparks, but RC rocks.

Ruth's Chris cheats. I feel like they just dump a bunch of melted butter on the steak to finish it.

As to steakhouses, I like Morton's, and Jeff Ruby's in Cincinnati.

Lysander's beef rub on strip steaks or a bit of garlic and Worcestershire when done at home.

Right on, Nanker...Worcestershire sauce is very underrated...amazing flavor and really goes great with a meat and potatoes meal. I love it on my filet!

When you guys marinade, what do you put the steak in and how long do you need to let it sit? Do you use a ziplock baggie or something like that?

When you guys marinade, what do you put the steak in and how long do you need to let it sit? Do you use a ziplock baggie or something like that?

I use a ziplock, and keep it in the fridge. And mush it around now and then. I usually allow 24 hours.

For a rib roast (no marinade), I have an inexpensive container that I drilled air holes into and pop into the icebox. I wrap it with paper towels to help with wicking away its' moisture and concentrating the flavor. I have a scale, and over 2 or so days, a 3 lb. roast loses 3, 4 oz. I usually let it rest in the box for 3 days before roasting.

That's because Michael Mina kicks Keller's ass all day. Now Thomas Keller's ass? Not so much.

I can see why. I loved Stripsteak! I'm going to head back to Vegas in August, any suggestions on which steakhouse I should try? I wouldn't mind eating at Stripsteak again, but trying the other celebrity chefs places are fun.

I can see why. I loved Stripsteak! I'm going to head back to Vegas in August, any suggestions on which steakhouse I should try? I wouldn't mind eating at Stripsteak again, but trying the other celebrity chefs places are fun.

Try The Palm at Caesars. Old NY steak house that went chain. Outstanding, classic steak house in my opinion.