• T-Bone
    • NY Strip
    • Other
    • Barbarians! Cows are Earthlings too!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no way, seriously? i'm shocked at the number of filet lovers.

While I didn't pick it, what's wrong with a filet? Or a strip steak? Or prime rib?

no way, seriously? i'm shocked at the number of filet lovers.

Fillets are pretty tender and their main problem is less taste. I generally tend to marinate whatever I am going to cook out in some sort of way. Orange Juice, Coke, and your preferred steak sauce or a soy sauce adds a ton of taste. Depends on what you like what you put in of course. The time you let it marinate changes the taste considerably too. I also like to soak my wood chips in a wine or beer on occasion. Of course, the wine or beer you choose changes the flavor.

While I didn't pick it, what's wrong with a filet? Or a strip steak? Or prime rib?

What Booster said. I find filet pretty tasteless compared to other cuts.

I would put Porterhouse #1, strip or ribeye #2

I'm not into sauces, A1 etc. on steak. Just my preference.

I'm not into sauces, A1 etc. on steak. Just my preference.

Anybody who puts A1 on a steak should be sent to Guantanamo, tortured, persecuted, tortured again, persecuted again, tortured a few more times for fun and then killed mercilessly

A1 on steak = :thumbsup:

Filet, bacon wrapped, NY Strip, Porterhouse, Ribeye, really there is no wrong answer. All steaks have their own delicious qualities about them.

One thing for certain though, med. rare, with garlic and cream cheese mash potatoes, and grilled asparagus.

A good beer or red wine from the Sonoma region in California. Jordan Cab, or Merlot.

Anybody who puts A1 on a steak should be sent to Guantanamo, tortured, persecuted, tortured again, persecuted again, tortured a few more times for fun and then killed mercilessly

A1 should only be used with well done sirloin. You have already ruined it afterall. Kinda cool on fries.

I disagree, sorda. A1 is good on a well done steak.

A1 should only be used with well done sirloin. You have already ruined it afterall. Kinda cool on fries.

But sirloin isn't steak

Sirloin is, well sirloin

Of course when I started this thread I assumed people knew the difference between steak and filet. So I suppose I shouldn't be disappointed when people couldn't make that distinction would consider sirloin to be steak

If you're going to barbecue that Strip, you have to do it fast. The WORST thing you can do with a Strip is get too far into a great bottle of Cabernet, and then you've cooked it. Shoe leather. I mean, Jesus, it's a real balancing act. I'm speaking from experience here.

salt, and pepper only.

That's all a great piece of meat needs (and honestly some don't even need that). But given my druthers, I will take a small clove of garlic and lightly rub it on the meat.

Also, if properly prepared, a good red wine reduction sauce is nice.

Oh, one more thing. Butter on top of a sizzling hot steak is acceptable, too.

If you're going to barbecue that Strip, you have to do it fast. The WORST thing you can do with a Strip is get too far into a great bottle of Cabernet, and then you've cooked it. Shoe leather. I mean, Jesus, it's a real balancing act. I'm speaking from experience here.

:thumbsup:

Indeed. I've burnt my share of garlic bread when too deep into the wine, or after a couple too many tokes.