90 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Steak

• Ribeye
    • Porterhouse
    • T-Bone
    • NY Strip
    • Other
    • Barbarians! Cows are Earthlings too!

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I was a stock boy at a grocery store. We had a butcher - Frank was his name - that was a chronic braggart. Anything anyone could do, he claimed he did it better.

One day, he was relating tales of his greatness to a group of us 16 and 17 year olds. He stated at some point, that he can do anything - just ask.

A fellow stock boy stretched out a slightly raised arm, and with deadpan face, snapped his fingers and in even tone said ..."Can you do this?"

:)

BTW, the best (and the only one, AFAIK) butcher movie ever:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048356/

:thumbsup: I think the butcher is the last guy I want to piss off.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a ziplock, and keep it in the fridge. And mush it around now and then. I usually allow 24 hours.

For a rib roast (no marinade), I have an inexpensive container that I drilled air holes into and pop into the icebox. I wrap it with paper towels to help with wicking away its' moisture and concentrating the flavor. I have a scale, and over 2 or so days, a 3 lb. roast loses 3, 4 oz. I usually let it rest in the box for 3 days before roasting.

Thanks, Cincy! I love how chicken and steak tastes after it's been sitting in italian dressing or some other marinade for 24 hr....good stuff

Try The Palm at Caesars. Old NY steak house that went chain. Outstanding, classic steak house in my opinion.

I've been to The Palm in NYC and LA. Very nice, but I wouldn't put the steak among the best I've had. Not knocking it, though.

Thanks, Cincy! I love how chicken and steak tastes after it's been sitting in italian dressing or some other marinade for 24 hr....good stuff

I also use a ziplock, or sometimes one of the shallow tupperware containers. Don't forget to remove the steak from the fridge and let it come to room temp before putting it on the grill!

I also use a ziplock, or sometimes one of the shallow tupperware containers. Don't forget to remove the steak from the fridge and let it come to room temp before putting it on the grill!

Oh really? I didn't know that about the room temp thing....do you have any good suggestions for marinades?

If any of you are ever in Orlando, you need to hit up Charley's Steak House and order the Porterhouse steak. They char-grill their steaks over a wooden fire and use aged beef. Simply phenomenal!

I've been to The Palm in NYC and LA. Very nice, but I wouldn't put the steak among the best I've had. Not knocking it, though.

I've been to the Palm a number of times. The steaks are great, the rack of lamb awesome and some of the best Lobster I've ever had. I've been to the Original and Palm II in NYC, the Palm in San Juan a number of times and the Vegas location once. My wife is a huge crab cake fan and loves the Palm's version.

If any of you are ever in Orlando, you need to hit up Charley's Steak House and order the Porterhouse steak. They char-grill their steaks over a wooden fire and use aged beef. Simply phenomenal!

Thanks for the tip. I will have to check it out.

Have you every been to Del Frisco's? I have heard good things and would like to check it out.

Have you every been to Del Frisco's? I have heard good things and would like to check it out.

I've been to Del Frisco's in Orlando. It was nice, but the waiters were a bit pushy and would do stuff like un-cork bottles of wine we didn't ask for and say "oh, I thought you said you wanted it". This happened twice (big group) as well as them bringing out a 2nd appetizer sampler (like $80) saying - "someone at the end of the table motioned for another"....the bill was over $1k anyway, so that BS was not necessary.

I've been to Del Frisco's in Orlando. It was nice, but the waiters were a bit pushy and would do stuff like un-cork bottles of wine we didn't ask for and say "oh, I thought you said you wanted it". This happened twice (big group) as well as them bringing out a 2nd appetizer sampler (like $80) saying - "someone at the end of the table motioned for another"....the bill was over $1k anyway, so that BS was not necessary.

God, I hated when people tried to do that to a big party. That was actually one of the reasons we developed a "meal plan" which pretty much spelled out the food choices. They were at set prices and we would offer a fish, chicken, and steak choice. You could place your order in advance and we would be prepared for it. You could order anything of course, but only a couple of people would be allowed to do so. Separate checks in many cases for liquor, beer, or wine. Now many corporations just said !@#$ it and made it a free for all. Some servers tried to pad the tab. They didn't last long.

Can't say I have. Is Del Frisco's located in Orlando? I might have to check that place out, but Charley's became a tradition in my family anytime I visit Orlando. It would be real hard to pass up Charley's.

Can't say I have. Is Del Frisco's located in Orlando? I might have to check that place out, but Charley's became a tradition in my family anytime I visit Orlando. It would be real hard to pass up Charley's.

Yes, here's the Orlando website:

http://delfriscosorlando.com/index.php

The reason I ask is, they get pretty good press in mags like Wine Spectator (and Cigar Aficionado, I think). I wasn't sure if the praise was deserved or was due in part to the amount of $$ they spend on advertising in those mags.

Yes, here's the Orlando website:

http://delfriscosorlando.com/index.php

The reason I ask is, they get pretty good press in mags like Wine Spectator (and Cigar Aficionado, I think). I wasn't sure if the praise was deserved or was due in part to the amount of $ they spend on advertising in those mags.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Chef, or any other Bay Area posters, have you ever been to Harris' Steakhouse or House of Prime Rib in SF?

Harris certainly has some quality aged meat and House of Prime Rib is (or at least was) a tremendous value, IMO. But they are old school joints, not a place you get any culinary innovations. Although Harris serves Kobe (American and Japanese) and has a pretty nice ambiance, IMO.

Chef, or any other Bay Area posters, have you ever been to Harris' Steakhouse or House of Prime Rib in SF?

Harris certainly has some quality aged meat and House of Prime Rib is (or at least was) a tremendous value, IMO. But they are old school joints, not a place you get any culinary innovations. Although Harris serves Kobe (American and Japanese) and has a pretty nice ambiance, IMO.

I've been to neither. However I've wanted to go to the House of Prime Rib just because of the name.

I've been to neither. However I've wanted to go to the House of Prime Rib just because of the name.

Both are good, at least "were good". The value at House of Prime Rib was fantastic. No matter what cut you order, they come by with the stainless steel cart and cut you another piece of rib, or give you more sides, if you are still hungry. The Prime Rib has been top quality when I have been there.

Harris' is really just a very good steakhouse. Maybe not "the best" but quite good.