1. 1. Favorite Steak

• Ribeye
    • Porterhouse
    • T-Bone
    • NY Strip
    • Other
    • Barbarians! Cows are Earthlings too!

:thumbsup:

Indeed. I've burnt my share of garlic bread when too deep into the wine, or after a couple too many tokes.

Good to see you back out here again, Dean! Excuse me. It's time to get back to the Cabernet.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rib-eye has the most flavour medium rare!

start with french onion soup

then Caesar salad

the the rib eye with a baked potato

finish with creme brulee or cheesecake

cab or Shiraz or a big Italian red- no Merlot: too gay and pinot noir is a little too light for a good steak

A1 should only be used with well done sirloin. You have already ruined it afterall. Kinda cool on fries.

when my brother in law burns the steaks i bring out the A-1 to choke it down

p.s.

tenderloin/filet has it's place but it's not a STEAK

The number one complaint about well done sirloin, "This steak is tough." Well no ****.

Yep...they are tough and it is because the restraunat picked the WORST cut of meat since it was ordered WELL DONE!!

Porterhouse - you get a bit of both worlds.

Lysander's beef rub on strip steaks or a bit of garlic and Worcestershire when done at home.

Not in the topic - but Ruth's Chris Steakhouse to me is about the ultimate. I've been to Gallagher's, Smith & Wollensky and Sparks, but RC rocks.

Yep...they are tough and it is because the restraunat picked the WORST cut of meat since it was ordered WELL DONE!!

Not sure how it works at your restaurants, but the customer usually selects the cut of meat in addition to how it is cooked at the places I frequent.

How the fug is a filet not a steak?

Question: What is filet mignon?

Answer: Filet mignon is an expensive tender cut of beef. Filet mignon is considered the king of steaks because of its tender, melt in the mouth texture. A prime filet mignon can literally be cut with a fork. This beef cut can be quite expensive when dining out, but much more reasonable to make at home, especially if you purchase a whole tenderloin.

Link

What Booster said. I find filet pretty tasteless compared to other cuts.

I would put Porterhouse #1, strip or ribeye #2

I'm not into sauces, A1 etc. on steak. Just my preference.

A filet is almost void of any fat/marbling which gives meat most of it's flavor. The tenderloin is attached inside the loin so doesn't get much work that's why it's so tender. The lack of flavor is typically why a filet is accompanied with a sauce or compound butter of some sort.

Porterhouse - you get a bit of both worlds.

Lysander's beef rub on strip steaks or a bit of garlic and Worcestershire when done at home.

Not in the topic - but Ruth's Chris Steakhouse to me is about the ultimate. I've been to Gallagher's, Smith & Wollensky and Sparks, but RC rocks.

Keep checking for other places IMO. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is a great Steakhouse. Excellent service and great food here in Memphis. However, Folk's Folly here (not a chain) is a definite step-up up in the quality of the food.

Keep checking for other places IMO. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is a great Steakhouse. Excellent service and great food here in Memphis. However, Folk's Folly here (not a chain) is a definite step-up up in the quality of the food.

I do try to check out more local places when possible. Agreed that Ruth's Chris is a chain - and chains are more prone to iffy service and quality, but my experience is that they've been extremely consistent. I need to get to a Peter Luger Steakhouse. Actually, that's another (modest) chain too.

If I'm ever in Memphis - I'll take you up on the tip and try Folks Folly. :thumbsup: I'm sure it'll be great.

I do try to check out more local places when possible. Agreed that Ruth's Chris is a chain - and chains are more prone to iffy service and quality, but my experience is that they've been extremely consistent. I need to get to a Peter Luger Steakhouse. Actually, that's another (modest) chain too.

If I'm ever in Memphis - I'll take you up on the tip and try Folks Folly. :thumbsup: I'm sure it'll be great.

Steak tenderizer.

That brings up an interesting point. What chain restaurants have a good record? Ruth's Chris pops up a lot on a casual google search. Who all do you like? Or do you have a hidden restaurant that is local like my example?

Oh and :nana: a bit early, but WTH...

I've been asked my opinion if a filet is a steak. Hmmm, I never thought about it. What makes a steak a steak? I'm going to say yes. I'll be grilling today using my smoker for the first time not to smoke but to grill. The key? Quality of the meat and the grill needs to be HOT. I had a natural gas grill in Orange county and the damn thing never got hot enough. This one (The Big Green Egg) gets really hot. So how to pick a good piece of meat? Bright red with lots of marbling (streaks of fat). And don't go cheap. I like to get my steaks at the local farmer's market from a local ranch. It's grass fed, excellent flavor and expensive but well worth it. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper (lots) and that's it.

Some of the best steaks I have ever had, outside of my own kitchen or a top-notch steakhouse, have been in quality Italian restaurants. They are usually cooked to perfection and seem to be a cut above the average restaurant's quality. Also, it's hard to beat a side of good pasta, or gnocchi with a NY Strip, IMO.

For those of you in WNY, try the strip steak at Fortuna's in Niagara Falls. Tell Joe Fortuna I (Brian Fiori) sent you. I sometimes get it with a side of gnocchi and meat sauce.