NFL Execs expect Gathier trade

Youboty would be ok but I don't want to see McGee or McKelvin leave.

Geez…I don't know…I'd include Terrence McGee in a Gaither trade (depending on the other pieces, of course).

Terrence has been pretty injury prone the last few seasons.

We don't need him as a return man anymore, triply so with Spiller on board.

And McGee will be 30 years old in October.

I love the guy, but on a rebuilding team with some good young cornerbacks, I'd be willing to part with him.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez…I don't know…I'd include Terrence McGee in a Gaither trade (depending on the other pieces, of course).

Terrence has been pretty injury prone the last few seasons.

We don't need him as a return man anymore, triply so with Spiller on board.

And McGee will be 30 years old in October.

I love the guy, but on a rebuilding team with some good young cornerbacks, I'd be willing to part with him.

I think McKelvin will develop into our top CB either this season or next

Is that from the same place that says Lil Donte is a top 9 safety?

If he was a top 5 LT, Oher would be staying at RT.

No, I don't think he means that place, wherever it is, or at least not only that place. Profootballfocus.com watches every snap of every game and grades the players, and they have Gaither as the sixth-best tackle (of all tackles, left and right) in the league. They are one of the best sites out there, particularly on the offensive line.

Frankly, I think it's a stupid move by Baltimore to get rid of Gaither, especially when Oher hasn't yet proved himself any good as a left tackle. But every team makes stupid moves, and this one is probably partially budget-related.

Gaither's motivational problems were partly a result of the Ravens drafting an LT in the first round the year after they got him and he had the starting job.

A starting LT who is of All-Pro Caliber is going to cost money. It is the second or third most important position on the football field. That's not news. Peters didn't get paid because he didn't deserve to get paid for the reasons that are not going to follow.

Peters was in the Pro Bowl, but he was not really a Pro Bowler. Looking at the guy's play he was a sieve. His play in Philly is heavily criticized and some think they overpaid to get him. Compare Gaither's and Peter's stats. They are available on any sports news site, and, of course, on NFL.com. They are far from the same player. And Gaither doesn't want to be in Baltimore because they are treating him like ****. I'd want out too. The fact is, he is a top-5 tackle and blows away anything we have on this team. If he gets a deal like what Peters wanted, fine. He's a better player and wants to be here. Peters was a whiny ***** who was overweight, slow, and not worth that kind of investment.

Say what you want, but Gaither would be a much better bang for the buck than Peters. Even if he gets 10 mil a season. Don't think it will be that much. Closer to eight or nine with a bunch of it guaranteed and front loaded. That seems more likely, but to say that Gaither isn't as good as Peters shows a lack of broad football knowledge and observation of the LT position in the NFL.

Again, up to his ankle injury in week 5, Peters was ranked #1 in the league according to the best site for o-line guys, profootballfocus.com. After taking one for the team by playing on the gimpy ankle for quite a few weeks, a number of guys passed him. But Peters is one of the elite tackles in the league, right up there with anyone you can name. Gaither and Peters are in the same neighborhood.

Sometimes I agree with you Rico. Not this time. I never said that Donte was a top nine safety, for the record. I may have said that he is a good player and that calling him a bust is not accurate, but I've never said that. Not accusing, just stating for the record.

As for Gaither being a top-five tackle, to answer your question no, and I disagree with your conclusion. First, it is possible for a team to have two top five tackles on their roster. It happens. When Oher was drafted, he was drafted to play right tackle because Gaither was their starter at LT. Gaither was very very good, then he got hurt. Oher was moved to LT. Oher was very very good. Gaither realized that he was very unlikely to earn his starting spot at LT back and that his short rookie contract would be up after this season. Now he is at RT, a position that will pay him less money and devestate his stock next offseason if he goes into free agency because he would be in the RT pool in terms of contract negotiations. He wants out. We want him. Statistically there is little to suggest that Gaither is not a top five tackle. Almost everyone who knows football universally says that he is a top five tackle and that Baltimore is the enviable, or unenviable, position of having two top five tackles on their roster. Don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

Actually, Oher was really really NOT very good at LT, though he was absolutely terrific at RT. Again, check the record at profootballfocus.com. In five games at LT, he ran up two of the worst one-game score of any player for any game in the league last year. Horrible. Yet at the same time, at RT, Oher was absolutely dominant.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?...p;playerid=4946

But Gaither is right there at #6.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1.

Just because the Bills need a quarterback doesn't make the ones available any better. If they're no good they're no good. Burning a first or second round pick on them doesn't help matters.

Of course.

But we don't KNOW if they are any good. We KNOW that the guys we have had for the last 10 years haven't been any good.

I'm not advocating drafting just any guy with a high pick, and calling him a top prospect. My real point is, that it is easier to find decent lineman out there and to put together a respectable line, than it is to find a top flight QB. And that the team should use the top picks to try to get a QB in here.

There have been numerous posts for the last year (at least) fretting about how we need to spend our top picks on offensive lineman, and "get the O-line together" BEFORE we draft a QB. I think this is nonsensical, and that the sooner they get a top flight rookie in and developing, the better. The line can be pieced together in the meantime.

I gotta tell ya, I have a good feeling that this trade is gonna go down and I really hope so.

The Spiller selection would also make a lot more sense if this trade were to come to fruition. It proves this front office has something the prior administration was sorely lacking...direction and foresight.

Now if only we can get lucky with one of our quarterbacks we might finally be on the road back to respectability!

I would think the Ravens would be more interested in a solid Dback like Whitner and maybe Roscoe, who we obviously don't have much use for with Spiller on the team. They are a playoff team and need guys now, not future Maybe's.

As far as paying an LT, it's hard to decide if you're overpaying for someone until you look at your cap space and what kind of deal Gaither wants. One team spending 10M on an LT might make sense if they're very thin at that spot and they're trying to develop/evaluate a new QB AND they have the cap space (like us), where it might make NO sense for a team close to the cap that has a decent LT but has other priorities.

Hard to just say "we shouldn't overpay for a FA tackle" if we have 15M sitting there available.

Do you mean we should save the money and keep it in Ralph's kids trust fund? Or is there some other free agent that you see out there that can help the Bills more? I don't see one. Even if the guy is average, it's still an upgrade over doing nothing.

I hope the Bills get this guy, and I hope he's got an attitude problem and that he hates the guy lined up against him.

Schobel has the crappiest attitude on the team so we're gonna have some room for it now that he's gone.

I would think the Ravens would be more interested in a solid Dback like Whitner and maybe Roscoe, who we obviously don't have much use for with Spiller on the team. They are a playoff team and need guys now, not future Maybe's.

As far as paying an LT, it's hard to decide if you're overpaying for someone until you look at your cap space and what kind of deal Gaither wants. One team spending 10M on an LT might make sense if they're very thin at that spot and they're trying to develop/evaluate a new QB AND they have the cap space (like us), where it might make NO sense for a team close to the cap that has a decent LT but has other priorities.

Hard to just say "we shouldn't overpay for a FA tackle" if we have 15M sitting there available.

Do you mean we should save the money and keep it in Ralph's kids trust fund? Or is there some other free agent that you see out there that can help the Bills more? I don't see one. Even if the guy is average, it's still an upgrade over doing nothing.

I hope the Bills get this guy, and I hope he's got an attitude problem and that he hates the guy lined up against him.

Schobel has the crappiest attitude on the team so we're gonna have some room for it now that he's gone.

You're kidding right? Schobel has the crappiest attitude?

The Spiller selection would also make a lot more sense if this trade were to come to fruition. It proves this front office has something the prior administration was sorely lacking...direction and foresight.

Now if only we can get lucky with one of our quarterbacks we might finally be on the road back to respectability!

I must say that I agree 100% with this post. The Spiller selection turned my stomach almost (but not quite) as much as when they took Whitner in 2006. OK....I'm not being honest. The Whitner pick was 1000x worse, but I hated this pick too.

That said, the Bills need a left tackle. They are simply unable to line up a weak sister such as Bell, or some other subpar player at this crucial position. And btw, Gaither doesn't have to be a choir boy either. Jumbo Elliot was crazy, and it didn't stand in the way of his ability to dominate.

There are only so many 320 plus pound humans that are agile and have the brute strength to play LT in the NFL. If Gaither fits this mold, a second round pick is cheap. If they can do it with a 3rd and at the same time purge the likes of Whitner and/or Youboty, they should jump at the chance, and I will actually send Ozzie Newsome a thank you card.

Do you know that there is no salary cap this year?

Impossible! We all know you don't spend tons of money and picks on pricey veterans! You build through the draft---and we now have Wang!

Check out the BODOG odds of J. Russell's next spot: Bills #2 most likely at 7:2.

Yikes! The betting public hates us.

Dude is 24 years old...he can be our LT for the next 10 years....

I must say that I agree 100% with this post. The Spiller selection turned my stomach almost (but not quite) as much as when they took Whitner in 2006. OK....I'm not being honest. The Whitner pick was 1000x worse, but I hated this pick too.

That said, the Bills need a left tackle. They are simply unable to line up a weak sister such as Bell, or some other subpar player at this crucial position. And btw, Gaither doesn't have to be a choir boy either. Jumbo Elliot was crazy, and it didn't stand in the way of his ability to dominate.

There are only so many 320 plus pound humans that are agile and have the brute strength to play LT in the NFL. If Gaither fits this mold, a second round pick is cheap. If they can do it with a 3rd and at the same time purge the likes of Whitner and/or Youboty, they should jump at the chance, and I will actually send Ozzie Newsome a thank you card.

Hell if its Yoboty and a 2nd I don't give a ****. Look fans were screaming take a LT in the first that is unproven. A 2nd and a player for a guy to play LT who is PROVEN...do the deal and lets get his ass in here.

Given the number of failed off-season acquisitions we've had, it would be nice if they actually pulled this one off. They might have to over pay to do it - but so what. As long as a first isn't included, who cares?

Hell if its Yoboty and a 2nd I don't give a ****. Look fans were screaming take a LT in the first that is unproven. A 2nd and a player for a guy to play LT who is PROVEN...do the deal and lets get his ass in here.

Plus 1, especially if they can lock him up for 3-4 more years with a reasonable extension (being in the ballpark of $10-15 million to sign and $8-10 million per year.)

I'll be curious if you'll feel the same way after Spiller takes it 50 yards to da'house on his first carry against the Dolphins.

PTR

UPDATE, via PFT. Gaither not on the field again today, and if he does indeed have an injury its "minor" at best.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...is-very-likely/

The last part is what every Bills fan needs to be aware of. The Ravens are wisely trying to play this out in the hopes that another team will get involved and drive up the price. If/When this happens, you can count us out of the Gaither sweepstakes...the Bills will not win a bidding war.