NFL Execs expect Gathier trade

Ouch. This tweet from Wilson just about kills this rumor.

Team officials have said they haven't received trade offers that would prompt them to move offensive tackled Jared Gaither or other players

Sorry Buffalo, looks like we're stuck with Bell.

How bad does billsguyinop not want this deal to happen, pump the brakes buddy.. we get it. More negativity on the board is just what we need.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE, via PFT. Gaither not on the field again today, and if he does indeed have an injury its "minor" at best.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...is-very-likely/

The last part is what every Bills fan needs to be aware of. The Ravens are wisely trying to play this out in the hopes that another team will get involved and drive up the price. If/When this happens, you can count us out of the Gaither sweepstakes...the Bills will not win a bidding war.

I could see a trade for Brown or Gaither dying when it came down to negotiating a contract extension. RW/Littman can step in at any moment and kill something like this, because let's face it: both LOT's will demand something probably similar to what Peters got. Yes that's high, but there's a price to pay for playing people like a weak D. Bell. And it's your QB's health.

The price of doing business in the NFL, especially for positions like QB, DE, and LOT is high. I'll be interested to see if the Bills hand out a contract like I'm thinking, because they haven't done a 40M+ deal since Schobel almost 3 years ago.

The Bills should not give-up a 1st rounder for Gaither, unless it's conditional on him being named an all-pro or grading-out highly by some other objective/impartial analysis. He's a risk to become even more unmotivated once he gets the big money deal. The question is, do the Ravens want him for just the season and then to lose him for at-best a 3rd round (comp) pick in 2012, or a 2nd rounder +/- another pick in 2011 +/- a player this year?
Buddy should insist on using profootballfocus.com. :thumbsup:B-);)

I could see a trade for Brown or Gaither dying when it came down to negotiating a contract extension. RW/Littman can step in at any moment and kill something like this, because let's face it: both LOT's will demand something probably similar to what Peters got. Yes that's high, but there's a price to pay for playing people like a weak D. Bell. And it's your QB's health.

The price of doing business in the NFL, especially for positions like QB, DE, and LOT is high. I'll be interested to see if the Bills hand out a contract like I'm thinking, because they haven't done a 40M+ deal since Schobel almost 3 years ago.

Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey run the football operations at OBD, not Littman or Overdorf. If they say we want this guy and he's worth $8M a year or whatever is reasonable for someone of his ability at LT, Ralph will likely go along because he's holding them accountable for the product on the field.

There's no indication whatsoever that Littman and Overdorf are (still) deciding who gets paid, what. Of course there's a budget and there'll be scrutiny over a contract that big, but IMO your viewpoints are clouded by the past.

It makes 0 sense for the Ravens to trade Gaither for anything less than a 1st round pick. The Market has been set in the Peters trade.

If they don't trade him they have a player under contract for 1 year that will be motivated to put together their best season in order to get Free Agent dollars next year.

Plus the Ravens have a shot at the Super Bowl they would want to have Gaither at RT and Oher at LT and if Oher doesn't work out at LT they can switch.

No matter how many Oscar's the movie about is his life won, Oher is not proven at LT.

My Sentiments are pretty much echoed on the Ravens forum. (for whatever that's worth)

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53487

It makes 0 sense for the Ravens to trade Gaither for anything less than a 1st round pick. The Market has been set in the Peters trade.

If they don't trade him they have a player under contract for 1 year that will be motivated to put together their best season in order to get Free Agent dollars next year...

Peters and Gaither are totally different situations. The ravens will lose gaither no matter what next season. They can get a 2nd for a guy who will be off their roster next year.

Peters price was higher because he was under a multiyear contract with the Bills.

Peters and Gaither are totally different situations. The ravens will lose gaither no matter what next season. They can get a 2nd for a guy who will be off their roster next year.

Peters price was higher because he was under a multiyear contract with the Bills.

Plus Peters was a Pro-Bowler when we traded him. Regardless of what we think about Peters, he was regarded more highly when we traded him that Gaither is now.

Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey run the football operations at OBD, not Littman or Overdorf. If they say we want this guy and he's worth $8M a year or whatever is reasonable for someone of his ability at LT, Ralph will likely go along because he's holding them accountable for the product on the field.

There's no indication whatsoever that Littman and Overdorf are (still) deciding who gets paid, what. Of course there's a budget and there'll be scrutiny over a contract that big, but IMO your viewpoints are clouded by the past.

As has been mentioned repeatedly here, the owner has a say in everything for each team. It's their investment, and forking over 40M or more is a decision for more than just the personnel guys. If you think Buddy or Chan can make the decision, that's simply naive given the enormity of the contract. Like every team, the Bills have a budget and signing Gaither (or J. Brown) would significantly impact their books.

This especially goes for a team that won't have TO to sell tickets with, nor a recent track record of success or is a potential playoff team in 2010. If this were a true regime change, Overdorf would have gone right along with Guy. After all, Overdorf negotiates contracts, and I can't think of worse examples than Tripplett, Dockery, and Walker.

Ouch. This tweet from Wilson just about kills this rumor.

Team officials have said they haven't received trade offers that would prompt them to move offensive tackled Jared Gaither or other players

Sorry Buffalo, looks like we're stuck with Bell.

Dude, are you serious? Are you so downtrodden by years of Bills' ineptitude that you are so easily swayed? So the Ravens are saying they haven't gotten a good enough offer yet. Do you think this could possibly be posturing on their part to try to squeeze out a better offer from the Bills and/or any other team making offers for Gaither? When trades like this happen, there is a lot of posturing on both sides. The Bills probably leaked the idea that they might trade with the Saints for Brown in order to leverage things with the Ravens. Now the Ravens are leaking that the offers aren't good enough. It's all gamesmanship. That doesn't mean the Bills will get him, but he sure as hell is on the block. He's not really sitting out practice with a "foot injury."

I would give Buddy a foot massage if he pulled this trade off! I would hope for a third round draft pick next year, or 3rd and a 5th!

Save the foot massage for Gathier. He left the field on day 1 and didn't play day 2 or 3 because of a sore foot. He missed 5 games last year with foot problems. Gathier's got talent, but I'm afraid he is damaged goods that will not return to his previous level of play.

Keep telling yourself that.

A starting LT is worth a 1 st. Look at LT taken in the first round and they are not proven.

Pro bowl has nothing to do with it.

The ravens would most likely get a compensatory 4th or 3rd when he is signed as a UFA. You're on crack if you think Ozzie Newsome moves him for less than a second + a player or more picks.

With the uncertanity in the labor agreement in makes much more sense to take two tackles in your Super Bowl run than sell low.

I would love to see Gaither become a bill for a 2nd and someone expendable like Youboty. It not only makes the LT position better, but RT as well so we would really be upgrading two positions. I would love to see Gaither,Tree, Hangartner, Wood, and Bell/Green/Meredith. Its a scary thought that one of Bell/Green/Meredith will be our starting left tackle day one, but I would feel a lot better with the best of those three starting at RT.

JMHO

A 3rd-4th round comp pick in the 2012 draft isn't nearly as much compensation as the Bills #2 (probably pick 35-40) in 2011. Ozzie's pragmatic enough to see that, I'm sure, and Buddy's a shrewd enough poker player to know that's as good an offer as the Raven's are likely to get.

A 3rd-4th round comp pick in the 2012 draft isn't nearly as much compensation as the Bills #2 (probably pick 35-40) in 2011. Ozzie's pragmatic enough to see that, I'm sure, and Buddy's a shrewd enough poker player to know that's as good an offer as the Raven's are likely to get.

But is it more than having a top tier RT and a top tier LT for 1 year?

That's what Ozzie has to decide.

It's not like the Ravens have 3 quality tackles.

They'll be looking for a questionable player like Cousins to step in at RT.

But is it more than having a top tier RT and a top tier LT for 1 year?

Based on the Raven's drafting success, getting a high pick in 2011 would be more valuable...especially if it turns into a 5-10 year starter.

CountDorkula...I love how you bring it..but that song is gay as hell.

As weird as this sounds it that is the first thing that popped into my head when i heard the news we could be getting him.

Right now though my thoughts are from a a song by Imogen Heap

"where are we, What the Hell, Is going on, The dust has only just began to fall"

C'mon Buddy lets get this done!

A starting LT is worth a 1 st. Look at LT taken in the first round and they are not proven.

Pro bowl has nothing to do with it.

The ravens would most likely get a compensatory 4th or 3rd when he is signed as a UFA. You're on crack if you think Ozzie Newsome moves him for less than a second + a player or more picks.

With the uncertanity in the labor agreement in makes much more sense to take two tackles in your Super Bowl run than sell low.

If he was worth a 1st, teams would not be attempting to trade for him, they would just sign him.

So, all that needs to happen is Nix/Gailey say, "We want this guy" and he's a Bill regardless of cost? Where is your evidence? They did very little in free agency and signed no big names or huge contracts. There is no indication whatsoever that the recently promoted Brandon and Overdorf are not still deciding who gets paid what and have been put out to distant pasture never to be heard or seen again.

As has been mentioned repeatedly here, the owner has a say in everything for each team. It's their investment, and forking over 40M or more is a decision for more than just the personnel guys. If you think Buddy or Chan can make the decision, that's simply naive given the enormity of the contract. Like every team, the Bills have a budget and signing Gaither (or J. Brown) would significantly impact their books.

This especially goes for a team that won't have TO to sell tickets with, nor a recent track record of success or is a potential playoff team in 2010. If this were a true regime change, Overdorf would have gone right along with Guy. After all, Overdorf negotiates contracts, and I can't think of worse examples than Tripplett, Dockery, and Walker.

Of course RW has the final word and Brandon gets a big piece of it as well. I never said Buddy and Chan decide by themselves, in fact I agreed it would get a lot of scrutiny. However, last year's "we'll go with the guys on our roster and not pay Peters" blew up in their faces, made worse by the injuries and lack of good offensive coaching.

I don't remember anything being said about Overdorf's role in the new organization. Just because he wasn't canned doesn't mean same as it ever was. He might still be negotiating contracts, but he's clearly got some different marching orders.

RW knows as much as anyone in football what a good LT makes. He also knows the crapshoot of the draft.

IMO, Nix and Gailey could convince Ralph to pay the man and get much better on the field this season, as opposed to hoping and praying they get production out of their current roster.

Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors at OBD, but to use bean counters and the previous FO structure as the basis for who might be filling the biggest hole on the team (perhaps behind QB) is a mistake.