Faulk and Lombardi on NFLN

It seems that only a handful of posters are ready to acknowledge the bolded.

Also, I agree that the draft from round 2 on was good after Ralph got his ticket seller. If this team is going to miss (which let's hope that they clicked on every pick), it is better to miss on a big guy than yet another defensive back.

When the Bills drafted Spiller at the nine spot he was the highest rated player on our board. No qb or remaining LT was near the rating that Spiller had. I for one am not going to be critical of taking a top ten pick in the top ten. That approach is much wiser than reaching for needed DT such as McCargo or reaching for a qb such as Losman. Reaching in prior drafts to address needs is one of the main reasons why the Bills are mediocre.

Entering this past draft the Bills had so many needs that it was comparble to drafting for a startup expansion team. Whatever player that was highly drafted was without a doubt going to address a need. Getting a playmaker is going to have more of an affect on the play of our OL and qb then getting an average LT still on the board.

If you look at the past Nix draft in its totality it focused on getting bigger(Troup-Carrington-Wang). If you add Andre Davis and Dwan Edwards to the mix you can see that this roster is actually getting bigger and stouter. That certainly is demonstrably better than Jauron's futile light and quick mentality.

This one draft certainly didn't fill all our needs. That was never the plan because it was unrealistic to expect. When entering a draft here are a number of strategies to take. Different people have reasonable different approaches. But the best way to evaluate a draft is to ask if the players taken at the point were rated at the range they were taken. In my view it was.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you just seen Marshall Faulk and Mike Lombardi running their mouths about the Bills on the "Grade the Draft" segment on NFLN????

Lombardi gave them a C for the draft, largely due to the Spiller pick. Then Faulk promised a 4-12 season (AGAIN) and him and Lombardi laughed away. The whole thing ended with Lombardi saying that the 4-12 prediction was generous and his grade of C was generous, and that there was "no direction" in Buffalo.

I am really tired of listening to Marshall Faulk crap on the Bills every year with zero insight into actual football facts. I can't believe this guy is still on NFLN - they have much better analysts than him. He's just not that bright......

I, like many people on here, have started to believe in what Nix and Gailey are doing. It's frustrating to see "analysts" continuously give the same assessment based on the same superficial fact that they chose not to pick a QB early.....

:wallbash::doh:

I liked the Spiller pick. I predicted as much and at this point my thought is we will be drafting the QB of the future in the much stronger 2011 QB class. That all being said....."SHOW ME THE BABY!"

If you look at the past Nix draft in its totality it focused on getting bigger(Troup-Carrington-Wang). If you add Andre Davis and Dwan Edwards to the mix you can see that this roster is actually getting bigger and stouter. That certainly is demonstrably better than Jauron's futile light and quick mentality.

This one draft certainly didn't fill all our needs. That was never the plan because it was unrealistic to expect. When entering a draft here are a number of strategies to take. Different people have reasonable different approaches. But the best way to evaluate a draft is to ask if the players taken at the point were rated at the range they were taken. In my view it was.

The thing is, I fully agree with virtually all of this, especially the first paragraph. The Bills had a need to get bigger and stronger that cannot be emphasized enough. After all, this isn't a dome team and we really had no chance at all of winning under the Levy/Jauron madness.

I think the only thing on which we disagree was the motivation of the Spiller pick, which is no big deal imo. You think he was the highest rated player; I think the goal was to sell tickets. It's all cool from where I sit. This board is about exchanging views.

Also, I hope (as do you) that Spiller winds up being a Hall of Fame running back. But, for him to play up to his capabilities (whatever they may be), the Bills are going to have to get lucky at the OT position, because our group is probably the worst in the NFL at this point.

Even then they will still find something to complain about.

I swear NFL commentators have a grudge with the Bills

Oh stop. The "NFL commentators" used to treat the Saints this way for years....until they made it to the playoffs.

Michael Lombardi's the biggest douche on the NFLN (and that's saying something). On the draft broadcast he had this to say:

On the Bills picking Spiller: Lombardi - "I don't know who's going to block there in Buffalo, they're already deep at RB and now they take another one. This is a terrible pick."

On the Giants picking Pierre-Paul (who similarly have depth at DL and have other needs) - "I love this pick, this guy is going to be able to take his time to develop behind the other starters there."

It may be just me, but I don't see the difference in the two picks other than Lombd*ckhead had them picking either Claussen or the great white bust Bulaga in every mock he published.

The Bills should be hanging every word of these idiots in their locker room.

This team is bigger on the DL, but it doesn't make them better. Stroud is on the downside and will be making a switch to a new position. Williams is a third down guy at NT, Troup is a rookie, but Dwan Edwards was a good pickup. The ILB's will be bigger, but I'm concerned about the OLB's, none of whom have rushed standing up.

Meanwhile, the OL is the same except for one guy the Raiders didn't want who cannot be assumed will win the ROT job. Levitre stands to be better, but Wood is coming off a serious injury, and the LOT position is a complete mess. The depth on the OL is razor thin, as many of them are rookies or untested 2nd or 3rd year guys.

We've been down the road before where assuming guys will be better isn't something to bank on.

Michael Lombardi's the biggest douche on the NFLN (and that's saying something). On the draft broadcast he had this to say:

On the Bills picking Spiller: Lombardi - "I don't know who's going to block there in Buffalo, they're already deep at RB and now they take another one. This is a terrible pick."

On the Giants picking Pierre-Paul (who similarly have depth at DL and have other needs) - "I love this pick, this guy is going to be able to take his time to develop behind the other starters there."

It may be just me, but I don't see the difference in the two picks other than Lombd*ckhead had them picking either Claussen or the great white bust Bulaga in every mock he published.

The Bills should be hanging every word of these idiots in their locker room.

Look I don't want to start a fight, I realize that it is great fun to beat up on the media idiots out there.

But to say "I don't see the difference in the two picks" is a little crazy. You have to look at where the two teams are. The NYG are a superbowl winning team from just a couple of years ago; The Bills? Well I don't need to rehash what they have done over the last decade. Don't you think that the two teams should have significantly different needs (number of holes, and where those holes are)? When you have fewer holes you are given more latitude in what you do, and when you do it. When you have a number of big holes, at important positions, and you are looking at late round picks to fill all of them; people are going to be harder on you.

SSDD

Look I don't want to start a fight, I realize that it is great fun to beat up on the media idiots out there.

But to say "I don't see the difference in the two picks" is a little crazy. You have to look at where the two teams are. The NYG are a superbowl winning team from just a couple of years ago; The Bills? Well I don't need to rehash what they have done over the last decade. Don't you think that the two teams should have significantly different needs (number of holes, and where those holes are)? When you have fewer holes you are given more latitude in what you do, and when you do it. When you have a number of big holes, at important positions, and you are looking at late round picks to fill all of them; people are going to be harder on you.

SSDD

Is there a position in football that isn't important? If a team is weak at any position, that position is important to remedy.

I don't mean to take you to task. This thread is about supposed experts in the media who really aren't doing their homework and refering to the Bills currently as if Jauron & Co. were still in charge. An article in TSN today echoes the same sentiments. As Bills fans, we have no choice but to get behind the new regime. We've been clamoring for it for years. We realize NE* and NYJ are media darlings. We're closer to them, talent-wise, than anyone outside of Buffalo knows.

That's OK with me.

Why do you think he's wrong? He hasn't been wrong in the past about this team.

??????????????????????????????????????? Put the pipe down, please.

Faulk has underestimated this team EVERY YEAR since he's been on NLFN.

No - they aren't great. 3 straight years of 7-9, followed by 6-10 is low-mediocre.

But that lazy imbecile Marshall Faulk has been calling for them to get 4 or fewer wins every year.

As with some on this board - Faulk doesn't have enough perspective to understand simple things like:

They had a ton of injuries last year, they are an extremely young team, they haven't lost anyone of consequence, their schedule is easier this year than last, therefore, it is highly likley they will win more games this year than last.

The only way you argue they do worse this year:

a) You think Jauron was better than Gailey. (No, not equal - you have to actually think Gailey is worse - and no, not worse than Cowher or Shanahan, you have to think Gailey is worse thah Dick Jauron).

b) You think TO is a big loss.

c) You think Reed is a big loss.

d) You think the switch to a 3-4 will be a big struggle.

Yes, they have issues at QB and questions at OL. And yes they play in the AFC East. AND ALL OF THAT HAS BEEN TRUE FOR YEARS NOW. And somehow - even with last year's brutal schedule, they did not go 4-12.

As a counter-example, the Redskins actually did go 4-12, but count on Faulk predicting them to be great, yet again, because they overspend on old has-beens, and play in the spotlight in DC.

I'm the most positive Bills fan but at this point, they are mainly correct. They are overstating things and acting like we are the Lions and Raiders (we're not even close) but we are probably the team everyone assumes will finish in 4th abnd be slightly below average like we have for the last decade. They only thing that will change the nation's perception is by winning.

At the same time, these are jsut opinions like anyone on this board has. It doesn't mean they are correct. Lombardi can't sniff a GM job (for the Marv haters, he drafted a safety #2 when he was with the Browns! :lol: ) and was very critical about the Bills' GM search. He would have killed for the job so I don't doubt there is some bitterness. And the only think I'll listen to Faulk about is how to play rb. He is probably the most worthless person on that entire network.

The thing is, I fully agree with virtually all of this, especially the first paragraph. The Bills had a need to get bigger and stronger that cannot be emphasized enough. After all, this isn't a dome team and we really had no chance at all of winning under the Levy/Jauron madness.

I think the only thing on which we disagree was the motivation of the Spiller pick, which is no big deal imo. You think he was the highest rated player; I think the goal was to sell tickets. It's all cool from where I sit. This board is about exchanging views.

Also, I hope (as do you) that Spiller winds up being a Hall of Fame running back. But, for him to play up to his capabilities (whatever they may be), the Bills are going to have to get lucky at the OT position, because our group is probably the worst in the NFL at this point.

Is Spiller going to be your new Whitner??? :lol:

If you honestly question Spiller's size and power to play in this league, you have never seen him play. He breaks a ton of tackles and is the only NFL caliber player on Clemson. And again with selling tickets? We sell out every year. If the goal was selling tickets, they would have reached on Tebow or Clausen.

I wanted Bulaga but the Bills and a lot of other NFL teams didn't think he was a LT. The Bills took the best player available and the best offensive playmaker in the enitre draft. You need homerruns in the top ten. If you only think Spiller is a running back, again, you have never seen him play. He is a great re eiver for a rb, a great kick returner, and a homerun threat every time he touches the ball. He is a player who makes a lot of areas of your team better.

As you stated you and I are much more in accord than not. Being the highest rated player and being the type of player who is more likely to sell tickets (back vs lineman) is not in itself mutually exclusive or necessarily the wrong approach to take. Professional sports is a business. I'm not going to criticize a possible marketing decision if it is also a good football decision. However, I will criticize a marketing decision which is not necessarily a smart football decision, such as the one year T.O. gimmick.

I don't expect Spiller to be a HOF player. That is wishful thinking. But I do expect him to be an impact player, something this team sorely lacks. As you stated our OL, especially at the LT, spot needs to be upgraded. I have some suspicion that Nix is still looking to add to the line. What we have on the roster is far from being adequate.

The Bills are a work in progress. We are still the worst team in the division. All I am asking from this new front office is a demonstration of competence. I may be over interpreting (wishful thinking) but I do see an intelligent strategy and a direction established by the Nix regime. Having some hope is better than not having hope. Not drafting a DB in this year's draft (compared to the Jauron peculiarity) is a good sign.

Is there a position in football that isn't important? If a team is weak at any position, that position is important to remedy.

You are right of course, but do you agree that some positions are MORE important than others? Or that some are easier to fill with late round drafties, or street free agents? Guard verses Left Tackle for example.

I don't mean to take you to task.

:lol:

This thread is about supposed experts in the media who really aren't doing their homework and refering to the Bills currently as if Jauron & Co. were still in charge.

Understandable, but I didn't comment on that, I was just asking if the previous poster couldn't see any reason why two different teams could make, on the surface, similar moves and get different reactions. Besides media bias, of course.

We're closer to them, talent-wise, than anyone outside of Buffalo knows.

Well I would say that 75 - 80 percent of the NFL teams are pretty close in pure talent, the game is really what you do with that talent.

SSDD