Smoking Ban at the Ralph?

yall

Probably because I have witnessed such a great deal of death and violence which was alcohol related, the particular sentence grabbed me if you will. I'm sorry if you didn't mean what I bolded in a literal sense.

Sometimes I suppose I take it as a given that people have seen the kind of violence that I have, which is a shortcoming on my part. What I will tell you in no uncertain terms is that alcohol consumption at RWS if FAR more likely to impact your game day experience (and health) than a bunch of people smoking on an outdoor ramp, under the watchful eye of security. Once again, I am at a loss to see why you, as an intelligent person, would fail to see this but I am NOT looking for a conflict, OK? :w00t:

Bill, it's not about my "gameday experience" -- it's about why smokers should be permitted to light up anywhere but in their own homes and/or private smoking clubs.

I'm all for punishing the drunks whose BEHAVIOR is to blame. There's absolutely nothing I can do to the guy who blows smoke in my wife's face unless I want a physical confrontation.

I don't think it's that hard to see the difference.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cigarettes should be outlawed, ha! Telly Savalas might look ok with a lollypop, but what about James Dean?

I was flipping through the channels early this morning and caught part of an infomercial for some DVDs of the old Dean Martin Variety Show. It was interesting because in some of the clips they showed, they were smoking on stage during the skits.

For you youngin's, Dean Martin was like Dane Cook, except with talent.

Smokers should have no rights. Zero. Nada.

Wow. Replace the word "Smokers" with "Jews" or "Blacks" and what does that make you, dude? Not saying you're a racist, just making a point.

But as a smoker I find your statement offensive. Pretty much everything you have said in this entire thread is offensive, including the "jackasses" moniker.

Let me know where you live; I've got a bag of trash to drop off in your yard. Don't worry, it will biodegrade in a couple of decades.

Well it depends what's in the trash bag...not sure if your tampons are biodegradable or not, "jackass"....ohhh snap!

OK, that was just for humour.

Security will tell you to stop but from what I have seen that's it.

I have never seen or heard of anyone actually removed for smoking, has anyone else?

Hell, most of the security guys probably smoke themselves ... and not in the designated area :P

Depends on the mood of the guard. My girlfriend has worked Bills security along with three or four of our friends. Sometimes they ask you to put it out. Other's they drag you out. It all depends on if you are nice about it or a complete idiot, multiple offenses, the guards general mood (if she just hauled out a drunken mess she was much more likely to haul you out for smoking than if she was sitting watching the game, just human nature), etc.

Depends on the mood of the guard. My girlfriend has worked Bills security along with three or four of our friends. Sometimes they ask you to put it out. Other's they drag you out. It all depends on if you are nice about it or a complete idiot, multiple offenses, the guards general mood (if she just hauled out a drunken mess she was much more likely to haul you out for smoking than if she was sitting watching the game, just human nature), etc.

Yeah that has to be a pretty freaking thankless job. There are far too many drunken !@#$s that need to be punched in the face there on any given Sunday for me to hold onto that job for long. I give your GF credit.

Tobacco kills 500,000 people a year, affects all their loved ones as well.

Alcohol related deaths are 80,000 year, or 420,000 less. roughly 30% of violent crime is related to alcohol.

Does smoking cause abuse, domestic violence, destruction, and loss of employment on a scale that alcoholism and binge drinking does? No... your numbers only take into consideration death. Living with those negative aspects is just as painful and ugly.

Alcoholism doesn't affect loved ones? Sheesh, that's not true AT ALL! :P

I am serious... start banning everything, and we ALL lose our rights to be human beings. If you can't accomodate others by allowing smoking sections, then to me you should lose something YOU greatly enjoy.

There's absolutely nothing I can do to the guy who blows smoke in my wife's face unless I want a physical confrontation.

What do you do with the drunk who grabs your wife's breasts or vomits on her (God forbid, seriously)?

Sorry, I am trying hard to be open minded but you are not making sense imo.

What do you do with the drunk who grabs your wife's breasts or vomits on her (God forbid, seriously)?

One reason I gave up seasons. Not that specifically to me, but I've seen people puked on by raging drunken !@#$s. It just got way past the point of having a good time there. At least for me.

I have a habit of ending threads on these boards so hopefully this reply ends this one. There are designated smoking areas that are outside and away from the concourse area. If you don't want to be near people smoking you can do so easily at the stadium. Why would anybody be for a total ban, you are annoying 15000 fans ( 20% @ 75000) at least. People go to the games and have drinks, the number of people who don't usually smoke do so after having cocktails so I would imagine that 15k number is low.

There is a total ban at the Rogers centre and there is no in and out privledges so you can't leave the stadium once you are inside. I took a client to the game that is a social smoker and we inquired about going outside. There were 3 cops and 4 security/ticket people at the gates to stop people from going outside. This is stupidity, let people go enjoy themselves as they see fit in a way that is not annoying other people, it is called being accomodating. If you are annoyed at people smoking by the fences at halftime then you really should take up smoking because I hear it is relaxing.

There is zero health risks to people smoking outside and away from people that don't want to be near it. There are always going to be drunks that want to light up in the stands and they are dealt with immediately, I have seen it dozens of times. Other than that,live and let live. Most people don't want to annoy other people and if reasonable accomodations can made to please everyone then why not???

The idea that 'if people aren't going to quit for the right reasons then we will make them quit for the wrong reasons' is wrong and shouldn't be tolerated by anyone. As I said, I think the Ralph is fine the way it is, there is no need to change anything. When they first brought in the smoking sections, compliance was very poor, last year it was much better and it will continue on that trend. People who smoke are very aware that they are being marginalized and are used to being told where they can do it. Actually it is to the point now where they are just happy that at least there is a place for them to go.

The best way I have seen an arena handle a smoking section is at the Prudential Center in New Jersey. There is a balcony outside were you can smoke anywhere inside the arena is smoke free. In most arenas you can smoke during the intermission outside of two entrances and they stamp you on your way out and check for the stamp on the way back in.

Either way as long as you are in the arena/stadium I don't think you should be smoking either go outside or resist the urge.

The best way I have seen an arena handle a smoking section is at the Prudential Center in New Jersey. There is a balcony outside were you can smoke anywhere inside the arena is smoke free. In most arenas you can smoke during the intermission outside of two entrances and they stamp you on your way out and check for the stamp on the way back in.

Either way as long as you are in the arena/stadium I don't think you should be smoking either go outside or resist the urge.

There you go, make accomodations and everyone is happy. I see the area by the fences as similar to the balcony you mentioned.

I dare any one of you who are complaining to walk up to a smoker who tosses their butt and tell them they are littering.

That, or just whine some more on the internet.

I do that all the time. If I'm in a bad mood, sometimes I'll pick it up and hand it back to them. Soulless, disgusting people.

What am I looking at? Is that your kid? Are you implying I'm childish? Or an internet tough guy? What have I said that would indicate either? In any case, aren't you being a little hypocritical?

Not really, I haven't "dared" anyone to do anything here.

wow a lot of anti-smoking bills fans on here......

its weird cuz the bills were the reason i starting smoking cigarettes...

i had a cigarette after wide right and i was only 5 years old

homerun throw back....cigarette

rob johnson over doug flutie....cigarette

lindell misses a 23 yard field goal in week 17 against the steelers....cigarette

leodis fumbles.....cigarette

bills lose to the brown 6-3......2 cigarettes

bills go 6 rounds of the 2010 draft without addressing any real needs......3 cigarettes

see yall outside the stadium opening day! well thats if i survive that long......