Restaurants

Only one thing that really annoys me..that is specifically ordering a glass of wine for the entree with my initial order, reminding the server again when they deliver the app, or next time i see them, and then the entree coming out with no wine in front me. Then I tell the server again I need my wine, and 10 minutes goes by before I get my glass of wine. I will many times at that point just send it on back, as half my meal is now eaten, and if I waited half my food would have been cold.

And yes, i lower the tip then..that is 100% on the server, and it is 100% essential to my enjoyment of the meal to have wine. Like I said, i always remind people, as I may have one glass with the app and another with the entree, or we may have ordered a half bottle with app and another half with dinner.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absofrigginlutely I'll cut the tip. and yes, I'll let the waiter/ress know if I'm not satisfied with something. they are my link to the restaurant, they are my conduit. they are the person i'm communicating with. if something is screwed up it is their fault. i don't get my food as ordered they screwed up. perhaps if they had written the order down and then had taken the time to review the order before bringing the food out they would have noticed that the kitchen screwed up. but because they didn't check they (the waiter/ress) screwed up.

congratulations, you're the waiter/ress that nobody wants to have wait on them.

if its something visible, that the server should be able to notice, then yes its their fault, but as in the example of a steak cooked wrong, that has nothing to do with the server. Voicing displeasure about something and being a jerk are completely different, people can complain about whatever they like, its expected, but when someone holds a server accountable for things that are out of their control, thats where I, as a former industry employee and someone who obviously respects the job, have a problem. One of the larger issues that I find disturbing is the way that many people treat their service industry workers, it borders on 2nd class for some people, respect is a two way street, if I am respectful and courteous of you and anything you need, you should at least give me the same respect back.

in terms of writing things down, I was a guy that could memorize up to about 15, but that was pushin it, and it was better used for groups of 2-6.

annoying things about restaurants:

1: people that walk in and bypass (or attempt to bypass) the seating process

2: snapping, waving, whistling or yelling to get the attention of the server, yes I see you, i will be there as soon as I can.

3: crying babies and people that talk on their cell phones throughout the entire meal

from a customer standpoint

1: absentee servers when its not busy, really I know you dont have a full section, and I also know the cigarette couldve waited 10 min. stop slacking and do your job.

2: please dont ask if I want a refill on a non-alcoholic beverage, of course I do, why would I want to eat a meal without a beverage, dont ask, just bring it, Its called, "silent service"

3: stop trying to upsell me if I dont bite on the initial push, its annoying and aggrevating, I heard the speech, now let me decide.

there's alot more on both sides, I just cant think of any more at the moment.

if its something visible, that the server should be able to notice, then yes its their fault, but as in the example of a steak cooked wrong, that has nothing to do with the server. Voicing displeasure about something and being a jerk are completely different, people can complain about whatever they like, its expected, but when someone holds a server accountable for things that are out of their control, thats where I, as a former industry employee and someone who obviously respects the job, have a problem. One of the larger issues that I find disturbing is the way that many people treat their service industry workers, it borders on 2nd class for some people, respect is a two way street, if I am respectful and courteous of you and anything you need, you should at least give me the same respect back.

in terms of writing things down, I was a guy that could memorize up to about 15, but that was pushin it, and it was better used for groups of 2-6.

you defend them, because you were part of it and thats cool, no problem there. The issue that is being made is as the server, you are the face of the company, just like when you call into a call center, many people base their opinion of the company on how the individual they spoke with treated them. The point is, if I need to complain ( which I rarely do), the staff won't send the cook out to see what the problem is, the waiter goes. Yes, there are plenty of people who are ignorant and yell and treat wait staff like they are below them, but if the issue is something out of the waiters control, ( kitchen cooked wrong order etc) then the responsibility falls on the waiter to get it fixed as quickly as possible.

I have nothing but respect for them because I don't know if I could do it, but they have to recognize that they are the face of the company and even if it isn't their fault, they need to try and fix it as quick as possible

you defend them, because you were part of it and thats cool, no problem there. The issue that is being made is as the server, you are the face of the company, just like when you call into a call center, many people base their opinion of the company on how the individual they spoke with treated them. The point is, if I need to complain ( which I rarely do), the staff won't send the cook out to see what the problem is, the waiter goes. Yes, there are plenty of people who are ignorant and yell and treat wait staff like they are below them, but if the issue is something out of the waiters control, ( kitchen cooked wrong order etc) then the responsibility falls on the waiter to get it fixed as quickly as possible.

I have nothing but respect for them because I don't know if I could do it, but they have to recognize that they are the face of the company and even if it isn't their fault, they need to try and fix it as quick as possible

that is correct, and if you ask any server the phrase "I'm sorry about that ma'am/sir, I'll get that fixed for you right away" is a part of everyday life.

My problem is the customer that then docks the tip, the server did their job correctly, why punish them for something that was not their fault, it's a dick thing to do, the cooks dont lose $$ or hours for everything they make wrong, the service staff is directly affected by others mistakes, it sucks and its unfair, and aggrevating, but thats part of the biz.

maybe you should have confidence in the professional standing in front of you, more often than not, when your precious order is wrong, its a kitchen issue, the waiter did his/her job correctly, but because you cant go yell at the kitchen, you take it out on the hard working individual who has the daunting task of trying to provide you with a pleasant experience. I'd even go as far to say that your probably one of those !@#$s that will dock whatever tip you may have had in mind for things that are out of the servers control, congratulations, you're an ass that nobody likes to wait on.

HA!

Not in my restaurant working experiences.

At chain level restaurants (not high class joints), most everyone employed there is a !@#$ up on some level. Not many actually care about how well they do or don't do their jobs.

But the vast majority of screwed up orders I've personally seen has been due to the waiter/waitress.

Now if your food tastes like ass...well, that's the cooks, or just the food.

I've worked at a restaurant before so I understand how sometimes things don't work out quite as well as expected. But if this happens, I expect some compensation for it when I'm seated at the table. The last three times my family and I have been to Outback Steakhouse, there has been a kitchen error (steak rare twice, and salmon uncooked once). They treated the situation very professionally and in the correct manner. The would cook a new steak/salmon, give it to us for free and also provide drinks for the whole table because the person with the steak would be eating practically by themselves. It's better to make a customer happy with a couple free drinks than to shun them and never have their business again.

HA!

Not in my restaurant working experiences.

At chain level restaurants (not high class joints), most everyone employed there is a !@#$ up on some level. Not many actually care about how well they do or don't do their jobs.

But the vast majority of screwed up orders I've personally seen has been due to the waiter/waitress.

Now if your food tastes like ass...well, that's the cooks, or just the food.

what can I say, we have different experiences, most of my jobs have been at places where the service staff is saavy enough to understand that when they do a good job, and actually care they make more money. In those situations the biggest problem for the waitstaff is the kitchen, and food runners (who usually dont take the time to double check something, so if a mistake is made on the line, and both inside and outside expediters didnt catch it, it will hit the table wrong)

that is correct, and if you ask any server the phrase "I'm sorry about that ma'am/sir, I'll get that fixed for you right away" is a part of everyday life.

My problem is the customer that then docks the tip, the server did their job correctly, why punish them for something that was not their fault, it's a dick thing to do, the cooks dont lose $$ or hours for everything they make wrong, the service staff is directly affected by others mistakes, it sucks and its unfair, and aggrevating, but thats part of the biz.

I hear ya, I can only speak from my experience, but if its a kitchen error or something, I usually don't dock the waiter or waitress, unless they are unwilling to help, provide REALLY poor service etc........

I've worked at a restaurant before so I understand how sometimes things don't work out quite as well as expected. But if this happens, I expect some compensation for it when I'm seated at the table. The last three times my family and I have been to Outback Steakhouse, there has been a kitchen error (steak rare twice, and salmon uncooked once). They treated the situation very professionally and in the correct manner. The would cook a new steak/salmon, give it to us for free and also provide drinks for the whole table because the person with the steak would be eating practically by themselves. It's better to make a customer happy with a couple free drinks than to shun them and never have their business again.

thats the way things should be handled, a free dessert, a free rd of drinks, some sort of compensation for the inconvenience. I worked for a chain wing place that didnt understand that concept, it blew my mind.

I hear ya, I can only speak from my experience, but if its a kitchen error or something, I usually don't dock the waiter or waitress, unless they are unwilling to help, provide REALLY poor service etc........

poor service/poor tip is a completely understandable scenario, thats fair, what is lost on some people is where the lines blur in terms of server and kitchen staff

example: I am very sorry we ran out of the osso bucco, the KM didnt prep enough for the dinner service, however, this does not make it ok to **** on me for relaying the message, I had nothing to do with it, so do not punish me.

This has happened to me twice:

Sitting in a busy restaurant at lunch time, our group had finished eating. The teenage hostess approaches our table and tells us "we are really busy, you have to leave so that I can seat people at your table".

The second situation, my wife and I and another couple were at a small restaurant for dinner. While enjoying an after dinner drink, the manager comes to our table and explains "folks, because we have other diners waiting for tables, we'd like to buy you a drink at our bar or on our patio in order to free up your table. would this be acceptable to you?"

Where do you think I've since visited and which one have I not visited again???

This has happened to me twice:

Sitting in a busy restaurant at lunch time, our group had finished eating. The teenage hostess approaches our table and tells us "we are really busy, you have to leave so that I can seat people at your table".

The second situation, my wife and I and another couple were at a small restaurant for dinner. While enjoying an after dinner drink, the manager comes to our table and explains "folks, because we have other diners waiting for tables, we'd like to buy you a drink at our bar or on our patio in order to free up your table. would this be acceptable to you?"

Where do you think I've since visited and which one have I not visited again???

Ummmmm...

The first...because of the teenage hostess? :rolleyes:

For the record, if the waitstaff handles the food mistakes correctly, I do not penalize them for the cook's screwing up my order.

Main pet peeve these days is piss-poor service. For example, I NEVER go to any Buffalo Wild Wings anymore (save the 'thier wings suck", please) simply because it's way too noisy. The waitstaff is comprised of teenagers who are too busy talking to each other, or making cow-eyes at some jerkoff at another table than bring me food and drinks. Also, they have like 60 televisions in there, they advertise the hockey and/or football package, then act like it's a major inconvienience to change one of the tvs to the game I want to see. There will be 15 games on a Sunday and they have two games on all the Tvs...

I'm pretty laid back about all of it. Unless I'm at a top-dollar establishment, I'm basically there to have someone cook me a meal and clean up afterward. If the server can get it to the table in a reasonable fashion and not piss me off in some legitimate way before I leave, I'm pretty happy. Waiters are human...they're gonna screw up. As long as they make an effort to explain/apologize when they do...no harm no foul.

The only thing that used to really give me the red ass when I was younger (high school/college age) was the server who thought my age/appearance was a reason to give me substandard service. There were two types:

1. The guy who was about my age so he figured he was too cool to treat me like a paying customer.

2. The "veteran" waiter in a nice restaurant who figured some kid like me wasn't going to give a big tip anyway so he could ignore me. I remember taking my then-girlfriend out to a very nice restaurant for our anniversary when we were about 19-20. Well, we got some mid-50s head waiter who was obviously very impressed with himself. He barely acknowledged us, acted coldly, breezed though our orders and then disappeared for long stretches. It wasn't very busy and he was roaming around the whole time...he just didn't pay us any mind. He even had the balls to give me the "1 minute" finger when I finally got his attention after we waited for our entrees for 30 minutes. Then he took his sweet time to come over...stopping and talking with 4-5 other tables. No "I'm sorry your order took so long", no explanation...he just didn't care. Then after our dishes were cleared, he immediately showed up and dropped the bill on the table without a word. No dessert? No coffee? I guess not.

I signed that check and and wrote "Act like you give a ****" in the Tip line. The only time I've ever zero-tipped. Told the manager on the way out that the dinner was good but the waiter was terrible. Never gone back.

I guess the guy thought a couple of teenagers weren't going to tip him well enough to make it worth his while. Congratulations, douche! You were right! :rolleyes: