Now that the dust has settled...

Now that the draft has come and gone I feel like some things have been abundantly clear by this staff and they are on the right track on rebuilding this team into a contender in the next season or two.

1. Nix - I loved the hire when it happned, and thus far he hasn't dissapointed. Presented an opportunity to get a top 10 QB in McNabb, he went after him. Ultimately, Washington had better picks to offer, but the fact he went after and was willing to pony up to get him says volumes to me. I loved what he has done in the draft and made some good FA signings as well...thus far, he gets an A

2. Gailey - I originally was puzzled by the hire, but I have to say him and this FO have changed my mind thus far. Its early and no games have been played yet, but I like what he is doing, what he brings to the table, and the direction he is steering us in. At this point, I really do feel like he was a good hire for this team and that Nix knew what he was doing when they hired him.

3. The draft - I love the draft. It isnt sexy from a name perspective, but who cares. We got a lot of value in most of our picks and picked up some hard nosed ball players. I think this draft was a great start for this FO.

4. The QB's - As I said all along, we were not going to use a high pick on another unproven rookie QB when we already have one in Brohm on our team that we have yet to see what he can do. I think this draft proved the interest they have in giving Brohm a chance to win this job and to see if Gailey can salvage Trent at all. Next year is a much better QB draft class, so this was the year to give Brohm a shot to show us what he can do or see if Trent can finally put it together in Gaileys offense. Taking a QB high this year just didnt make any sense. Trading for McNabb is another story, as he instantly makes us a contender. But they didnt try and trade for or sign other teams castoffs like Campbell, Delhomme, etc either, again showing me that they feel there is enough potential in our guys to see what they can do first.

5. CJ Spiller - I love this pick. I told people not to under estimate our interest in him and that if the top 2 or 3 OT were gone he could very likely be this pick. I wasn't to big on taking a RB this high originally, that was until the draft got close and I started watching his highlight videos because I had this feeling he was going to be our pick. I can honestly say now that I couldn't be happier about this signing. This team needs some excitement, someone to energize this offense, and someone who is a dual threat like him.

6. OT - I think the FO would have prefered to pick up an OT if the right one was there a little earlier than they did, but the fact they didn't reach for one also tells me that they have confidence in Bell improving this year and other guys contributing. Nix said we were trying to move up and back into the first round, but it wasn't for Tebow. I think the guy was likely Bulaga or could have been Dan Williams, but he said the player they wanted was gone by the spot they were trading into so they didnt pull the trigger. That being said, I think Nix and Gailey are both still looking in the FA market to get more help on the OL, but I like that they didnt reach for someone in the draft and instead took players who can be impact guys at other positions. I think Adams and Gaither are still real possibilities to land on this roster.

7. WR - Clearly they know we need someone to step up and take over the #2 spot, and I love that we are allowing our 2 young guys and a rookie the opportunity to do that rather than bringing in an aging vet. Its about time we saw what some of these guys can do so we know whether or not we got a player here or if we need to address that in next years draft.

8. Lynch - Clearly if we would have gotten an offer for him that was acceptable to us I think he would have been easily moved. However, I love that they just didnt dump him for nothing for the sake of dumping him. He has more value to this team than say a 6th round pick likely would. If injuries occur this offseason to other RB's around the league, I would expect the trade talk to heat up again, but unless that happens or someone ponies up at least a 3rd or a 4th and some change, then I think he will be on this roster this year and hopefully he uses it as motivation to step up.

9. Maybin - Last years draft class already is an A- in my book, but this year Maybin can turn that into an A+. I think this new D suits him greatly, and with the bodies we have added he will have a real shot to really excel in it. I have high expectations for Maybin this year and I think he will do well.

10. Our D - If Troup can man the middle with Kyle, then I think this D has a a chance to be really good this year. We have a great secondary, added 2 really good players in our front 7 (Dwan and A. Davis), and we are switching to a scheme that plays to the strengths of guys like A. Davis, Schobel, Maybin, Stroud, and our young guys. For the first time in a long time I feel like we have much needed depth on this D, something that has killed us consistently for a while now.

All in all, 2010 is not a quest to return to glory, but a year to get our youth on the field, develop them, give this new staff a chance to install new schemes and build the foundations for those schemes. I think 6 to 9 wins is probably our expected range, and I am ok with that, because this year isnt about that, its laying the foundation to become a winning football team again and become a contender in 2011 or 2012.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the draft has come and gone I feel like some things have been abundantly clear by this staff and they are on the right track on rebuilding this team into a contender in the next season or two.

1. Nix - I loved the hire when it happned, and thus far he hasn't dissapointed. Presented an opportunity to get a top 10 QB in McNabb, he went after him. Ultimately, Washington had better picks to offer, but the fact he went after and was willing to pony up to get him says volumes to me. I loved what he has done in the draft and made some good FA signings as well...thus far, he gets an A

AGREE

2. Gailey - I originally was puzzled by the hire, but I have to say him and this FO have changed my mind thus far. Its early and no games have been played yet, but I like what he is doing, what he brings to the table, and the direction he is steering us in. At this point, I really do feel like he was a good hire for this team and that Nix knew what he was doing when they hired him.

AGREE

3. The draft - I love the draft. It isnt sexy from a name perspective, but who cares. We got a lot of value in most of our picks and picked up some hard nosed ball players. I think this draft was a great start for this FO.

AGREE .. AND IT'S WAY TOO EARLY TO TELL.

4. The QB's - As I said all along, we were not going to use a high pick on another unproven rookie QB when we already have one in Brohm on our team that we have yet to see what he can do. I think this draft proved the interest they have in giving Brohm a chance to win this job and to see if Gailey can salvage Trent at all. Next year is a much better QB draft class, so this was the year to give Brohm a shot to show us what he can do or see if Trent can finally put it together in Gaileys offense. Taking a QB high this year just didnt make any sense. Trading for McNabb is another story, as he instantly makes us a contender. But they didnt try and trade for or sign other teams castoffs like Campbell, Delhomme, etc either, again showing me that they feel there is enough potential in our guys to see what they can do first.

AGREE .. I WAS ON THE CAMPBELL BANDWAGON, BUT IN THE END, I THINK NON-ACTION WAS THE BEST ACTION FOR QB.

5. CJ Spiller - I love this pick. I told people not to under estimate our interest in him and that if the top 2 or 3 OT were gone he could very likely be this pick. I wasn't to big on taking a RB this high originally, that was until the draft got close and I started watching his highlight videos because I had this feeling he was going to be our pick. I can honestly say now that I couldn't be happier about this signing. This team needs some excitement, someone to energize this offense, and someone who is a dual threat like him.

AGREE

6. OT - I think the FO would have prefered to pick up an OT if the right one was there a little earlier than they did, but the fact they didn't reach for one also tells me that they have confidence in Bell improving this year and other guys contributing. Nix said we were trying to move up and back into the first round, but it wasn't for Tebow. I think the guy was likely Bulaga or could have been Dan Williams, but he said the player they wanted was gone by the spot they were trading into so they didnt pull the trigger. That being said, I think Nix and Gailey are both still looking in the FA market to get more help on the OL, but I like that they didnt reach for someone in the draft and instead took players who can be impact guys at other positions. I think Adams and Gaither are still real possibilities to land on this roster.

IF THEY GET GAITHER, I'LL BE VERY COMFORTABLE WITH THE O-LINE.

7. WR - Clearly they know we need someone to step up and take over the #2 spot, and I love that we are allowing our 2 young guys and a rookie the opportunity to do that rather than bringing in an aging vet. Its about time we saw what some of these guys can do so we know whether or not we got a player here or if we need to address that in next years draft.

AGREE

8. Lynch - Clearly if we would have gotten an offer for him that was acceptable to us I think he would have been easily moved. However, I love that they just didnt dump him for nothing for the sake of dumping him. He has more value to this team than say a 6th round pick likely would. If injuries occur this offseason to other RB's around the league, I would expect the trade talk to heat up again, but unless that happens or someone ponies up at least a 3rd or a 4th and some change, then I think he will be on this roster this year and hopefully he uses it as motivation to step up.

BEST QUOTE SO FAR - "IT'S NOT UP TO HIM."

9. Maybin - Last years draft class already is an A- in my book, but this year Maybin can turn that into an A+. I think this new D suits him greatly, and with the bodies we have added he will have a real shot to really excel in it. I have high expectations for Maybin this year and I think he will do well.

AGREE .. BILLS FANS WAY TOO HARD ON THIS KID. THIS YEAR IS SINK OR SWIM, THOUGH.

10. Our D - If Troup can man the middle with Kyle, then I think this D has a a chance to be really good this year. We have a great secondary, added 2 really good players in our front 7 (Dwan and A. Davis), and we are switching to a scheme that plays to the strengths of guys like A. Davis, Schobel, Maybin, Stroud, and our young guys. For the first time in a long time I feel like we have much needed depth on this D, something that has killed us consistently for a while now.

AGREE .. BUT I THINK SCHOEBEL IS DONE.

All in all, 2010 is not a quest to return to glory, but a year to get our youth on the field, develop them, give this new staff a chance to install new schemes and build the foundations for those schemes. I think 6 to 9 wins is probably our expected range, and I am ok with that, because this year isnt about that, its laying the foundation to become a winning football team again and become a contender in 2011 or 2012.

100% AGREED. AND YOU NEVER KNOW WHO THAT INJURY BUG MIGHT BITE THIS YEAR. MAYBE NYJ OR NE!!

great post! great assessment!

i really like this last paragraph. hopefully, more posters will start to understand that this is a process that will take more than one Free Agency period and one draft.

I like the positivity. In general, I think people tend to far overestimate the contributions of newly drafted players, so chances are many of them won't pan out as we would like. But still, you never know.

Outstanding. :P

If you listen to Nix and Gailey it seems they have significant plans for Brown. We will see. I do agree now with Mort and you that it seems this is Brohm's job to lose. Not much more the kid can ask than that.

I basically agree with everything.....

The only thing I wished that they would do is add a little more free agency to go in with setting in the foundation of the team like they did this year.....we need to finalize that foundation on BOTH sides of the ball and as Nix said "they only give us 1 pick per round and we need about 3"

Well if we need 3 per round then supplant that with some free agents? It isn't like we dont have the cap to do it.

There ARE some guys out there that can help us

There is not a single person in the front office or on the coaching staff that is worth a DAMN.

These clowns could never run a respectable organization.

Buddy had himself an alright career, but he was also alive during World War II.

Chan Gailey is a washed up has been that never even was.

I'm going to ignore the drivel in the post above.

I expect the team to be better this year with the additions and the new coaching staff. I suspect we'll be able to iimplement a new O and D, get guys experience, evaluate players, and win more games than last year all at the same time. If it all works well and the ball bounces our way, we may even compete for that last playoff spot.

I basically agree with everything.....

The only thing I wished that they would do is add a little more free agency to go in with setting in the foundation of the team like they did this year.....we need to finalize that foundation on BOTH sides of the ball and as Nix said "they only give us 1 pick per round and we need about 3"

Well if we need 3 per round then supplant that with some free agents? It isn't like we dont have the cap to do it.

There ARE some guys out there that can help us

I feel if 200+ more players had been available via there being a CBA, we would have been a little more active in FA.

I'm going to ignore the drivel in the post above.

I expect the team to be better this year with the additions and the new coaching staff. I suspect we'll be able to iimplement a new O and D, get guys experience, evaluate players, and win more games than last year all at the same time. If it all works well and the ball bounces our way, we may even compete for that last playoff spot.

This is hilarious when you consider the poster's signature:

"In the NFL if your QB sucks, then you suck."

I feel this is an 8-8 team, but all I want to see is improvement. As a good friend of mine said, if at the end of the 2010 season we aren't asking all the same questions as at the end of 09 then we are in good shape.

I don't care if we are 7-9 or 5-11. I just want this team to be lookin and doing better at week 17 than week 1. We do that and we are on the right track to get this thing turned around.

I feel this is an 8-8 team, but all I want to see is improvement. As a good friend of mine said, if at the end of the 2010 season we aren't asking all the same questions as at the end of 09 then we are in good shape.

I don't care if we are 7-9 or 5-11. I just want this team to be lookin and doing better at week 17 than week 1. We do that and we are on the right track to get this thing turned around.

Here's an important question:

"Who's our QB?"

You think that's going to be answered by week 17?

Here's another:

"Why does Chandler always run on 3rd and 9?"

Good post :P

I agree with everything you said, especially the sentiment that this year is not a quest to return to glory but to develop the youth and give the new staff a chance to implement their schemes. I think that is a big point a lot of fans may be missing. I am really excited to see how Gailey runs the offense, how Edwards runs the 3-4 and how our young guys play. I think this year will be more fun to watch if anything.

There is not a single person in the front office or on the coaching staff that is worth a DAMN.

These clowns could never run a respectable organization.

Buddy had himself an alright career, but he was also alive during World War II.

Chan Gailey is a washed up has been that never even was.

your easy-going positive outlook on things must make you a real nice person to be around - just kidding about the real nice person to be around thing - life must really be hard for you - i am sorry for you

Sure. I agree

But i think we are all sorrily mistaken if you think Buffalo's approach to the QB situation was lets wait until next year and hope we pick low enough to get a good QB? cmon now.