Now that the dust has settled...

McShay's first 2011 mock draft, while laughable that he is doing it this early, has us picking #1 overall. Probably true. CJ will be all the buzzwords that everyone says about him but we'll still be the bottom of the barrel. By the time we're ready to compete again in 5 years with a new front office and coach he'll be used up.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. I agree

But i think we are all sorrily mistaken if you think Buffalo's approach to the QB situation was lets wait until next year and hope we pick low enough to get a good QB? cmon now.

I think you misunderstood me...I dont think the FO approach is hope we can pick a good QB next year. I think it was pretty clear that outside of Bradford there wasnt anyone in the draft they felt was much more of an upgrade in terms of potential over Brohm to warrant taking him before we gave Brohm a shot. Especially given how many holes we had else where and lack of depth. As far as next year goes, the realtion to that is that they felt they could fill other holes this year and try and develop Brohm. If Brohm falters or isnt up to the task, then next years rookie cap and deep QB class would be a better situation to address a QB in the draft.

I am mostly positive about the changes being made at OBD. I honestly believe we are a QB, LT and time for the new defense to settle in away from being competitive once again. Troupe's progress or lack thereof will have a lot to say about how quickly the D comes together or not.

I think you misunderstood me...I dont think the FO approach is hope we can pick a good QB next year. I think it was pretty clear that outside of Bradford there wasnt anyone in the draft they felt was much more of an upgrade in terms of potential over Brohm to warrant taking him before we gave Brohm a shot. Especially given how many holes we had else where and lack of depth. As far as next year goes, the realtion to that is that they felt they could fill other holes this year and try and develop Brohm. If Brohm falters or isnt up to the task, then next years rookie cap and deep QB class would be a better situation to address a QB in the draft.

I don't think the plan was to get a QB next year either. It appears that Brohm is definitely going to have every opportunity with Fitz probably being the veteran support as a 2nd stringer. The wildcard is going to be Brownand how quickly he develops. He is a good one IMO.

I don't think the plan was to get a QB next year either. It appears that Brohm is definitely going to have every opportunity with Fitz probably being the veteran support as a 2nd stringer. The wildcard is going to be Brownand how quickly he develops. He is a good one IMO.

Agreed and Nix even eluded to this. The plan is to see if Brohm can handle it this year and bring Brown along. I know many here say he is nothing more than a career backup, but from listening to Gailey and Nix, it seems he is in their long term plans.

Levi

McShay's first 2011 mock draft, while laughable that he is doing it this early, has us picking #1 overall. Probably true. CJ will be all the buzzwords that everyone says about him but we'll still be the bottom of the barrel. By the time we're ready to compete again in 5 years with a new front office and coach he'll be used up.

By gosh, I think people are ignoring you! I shall as well!

Agreed and Nix even eluded to this. The plan is to see if Brohm can handle it this year and bring Brown along. I know many here say he is nothing more than a career backup, but from listening to Gailey and Nix, it seems he is in their long term plans.

I know you can't abide the guy but like it or not, I think Edwards is more in the

mix than you think. I get the feeling Chan thinks he can resurrect the guy.

Now that the draft has come and gone I feel like some things have been abundantly clear by this staff and they are on the right track on rebuilding this team into a contender in the next season or two.

1. Nix - I loved the hire when it happned, and thus far he hasn't dissapointed. Presented an opportunity to get a top 10 QB in McNabb, he went after him. Ultimately, Washington had better picks to offer, but the fact he went after and was willing to pony up to get him says volumes to me. I loved what he has done in the draft and made some good FA signings as well...thus far, he gets an A

2. Gailey - I originally was puzzled by the hire, but I have to say him and this FO have changed my mind thus far. Its early and no games have been played yet, but I like what he is doing, what he brings to the table, and the direction he is steering us in. At this point, I really do feel like he was a good hire for this team and that Nix knew what he was doing when they hired him.

3. The draft - I love the draft. It isnt sexy from a name perspective, but who cares. We got a lot of value in most of our picks and picked up some hard nosed ball players. I think this draft was a great start for this FO.

4. The QB's - As I said all along, we were not going to use a high pick on another unproven rookie QB when we already have one in Brohm on our team that we have yet to see what he can do. I think this draft proved the interest they have in giving Brohm a chance to win this job and to see if Gailey can salvage Trent at all. Next year is a much better QB draft class, so this was the year to give Brohm a shot to show us what he can do or see if Trent can finally put it together in Gaileys offense. Taking a QB high this year just didnt make any sense. Trading for McNabb is another story, as he instantly makes us a contender. But they didnt try and trade for or sign other teams castoffs like Campbell, Delhomme, etc either, again showing me that they feel there is enough potential in our guys to see what they can do first.

5. CJ Spiller - I love this pick. I told people not to under estimate our interest in him and that if the top 2 or 3 OT were gone he could very likely be this pick. I wasn't to big on taking a RB this high originally, that was until the draft got close and I started watching his highlight videos because I had this feeling he was going to be our pick. I can honestly say now that I couldn't be happier about this signing. This team needs some excitement, someone to energize this offense, and someone who is a dual threat like him.

6. OT - I think the FO would have prefered to pick up an OT if the right one was there a little earlier than they did, but the fact they didn't reach for one also tells me that they have confidence in Bell improving this year and other guys contributing. Nix said we were trying to move up and back into the first round, but it wasn't for Tebow. I think the guy was likely Bulaga or could have been Dan Williams, but he said the player they wanted was gone by the spot they were trading into so they didnt pull the trigger. That being said, I think Nix and Gailey are both still looking in the FA market to get more help on the OL, but I like that they didnt reach for someone in the draft and instead took players who can be impact guys at other positions. I think Adams and Gaither are still real possibilities to land on this roster.

7. WR - Clearly they know we need someone to step up and take over the #2 spot, and I love that we are allowing our 2 young guys and a rookie the opportunity to do that rather than bringing in an aging vet. Its about time we saw what some of these guys can do so we know whether or not we got a player here or if we need to address that in next years draft.

8. Lynch - Clearly if we would have gotten an offer for him that was acceptable to us I think he would have been easily moved. However, I love that they just didnt dump him for nothing for the sake of dumping him. He has more value to this team than say a 6th round pick likely would. If injuries occur this offseason to other RB's around the league, I would expect the trade talk to heat up again, but unless that happens or someone ponies up at least a 3rd or a 4th and some change, then I think he will be on this roster this year and hopefully he uses it as motivation to step up.

9. Maybin - Last years draft class already is an A- in my book, but this year Maybin can turn that into an A+. I think this new D suits him greatly, and with the bodies we have added he will have a real shot to really excel in it. I have high expectations for Maybin this year and I think he will do well.

10. Our D - If Troup can man the middle with Kyle, then I think this D has a a chance to be really good this year. We have a great secondary, added 2 really good players in our front 7 (Dwan and A. Davis), and we are switching to a scheme that plays to the strengths of guys like A. Davis, Schobel, Maybin, Stroud, and our young guys. For the first time in a long time I feel like we have much needed depth on this D, something that has killed us consistently for a while now.

All in all, 2010 is not a quest to return to glory, but a year to get our youth on the field, develop them, give this new staff a chance to install new schemes and build the foundations for those schemes. I think 6 to 9 wins is probably our expected range, and I am ok with that, because this year isnt about that, its laying the foundation to become a winning football team again and become a contender in 2011 or 2012.

Lost interest because the blog was so long...but here is my quick opinion.. I think the Bill's War room gets a C for a grade so far. If Wang, Carrington, Troup all eventually become starters then of course the grade would probably go up to either a A or B. I like Spiller, but at #9 we needed a QB or OT and I'm sticking with that...B. Bulaga was right there for the taking...Clausen was there in the 2nd round! Nix gets a C...could've done more in free agency....Gailey doesn't get a grade yet as he hasn't done anything yet. Filling a need like QB with a 7th round project is foolish! Blah...Pure excitement...yeah right!!!!! :thumbsup: 2010 Buffalo Bills record: 5-11

Lost interest because the blog was so long...but here is my quick opinion.. I think the Bill's War room gets a C for a grade so far. If Wang, Carrington, Troup all eventually become starters then of course the grade would probably go up to either a A or B. I like Spiller, but at #9 we needed a QB or OT and I'm sticking with that...B. Bulaga was right there for the taking...Clausen was there in the 2nd round! Nix gets a C...could've done more in free agency....Gailey doesn't get a grade yet as he hasn't done anything yet. Filling a need like QB with a 7th round project is foolish! Blah...Pure excitement...yeah right!!!!! :thumbsup: 2010 Buffalo Bills record: 5-11

so you'd be willing to give them an A or a B if the guys become starters eventually? if you see this draft as kind of blah given your strong feelings on our needs--why would it change later when non-needed draft choices start? i'd think a C for their draft would always be a C if they missed the needs as you see it.

to clarify, they should have taken a one of the tackles, even if they didn't want him, or drafted clausen? clausen at 9 would have made it an A?

trust the leaders of the team, they should draft to suit their vision of the future. can an offensive-minded coach change the flow of the offense with a guy like spiller? i'm thinking they are thinking it will. let 'em try.

i'm saving my disgust for later, when it's warranted. i give them an A for running their draft, sounds like they picked the guys that made sense for them. I give them a ____ for victories and leadership.

5. CJ Spiller - I love this pick. I told people not to under estimate our interest in him and that if the top 2 or 3 OT were gone he could very likely be this pick. I wasn't to big on taking a RB this high originally, that was until the draft got close and I started watching his highlight videos because I had this feeling he was going to be our pick. I can honestly say now that I couldn't be happier about this signing. This team needs some excitement, someone to energize this offense, and someone who is a dual threat like him.

He was already signed?! :thumbsup:

6. OT - I think the FO would have prefered to pick up an OT if the right one was there a little earlier than they did, but the fact they didn't reach for one also tells me that they have confidence in Bell improving this year and other guys contributing. Nix said we were trying to move up and back into the first round, but it wasn't for Tebow. I think the guy was likely Bulaga or could have been Dan Williams, but he said the player they wanted was gone by the spot they were trading into so they didnt pull the trigger. That being said, I think Nix and Gailey are both still looking in the FA market to get more help on the OL, but I like that they didnt reach for someone in the draft and instead took players who can be impact guys at other positions. I think Adams and Gaither are still real possibilities to land on this roster.

I ask because I don't know - They don't expect Wang to start someday?

9. Maybin - Last years draft class already is an A- in my book, but this year Maybin can turn that into an A+. I think this new D suits him greatly, and with the bodies we have added he will have a real shot to really excel in it. I have high expectations for Maybin this year and I think he will do well.

It would be huge for this team if Maybin can excel, as a starter.

Thanks for the post!

Are you from daown saouth?

I'm not loving anything yet- to be honest. Might after a few inspired Sundays (win or loose) on the gridiron.

Nor am I particularly disatisfied. I believe these men have a plan, and I like that they are not flapping their lips (like Shannon Sharp) about it in public.

I think there is still dust in the wind.

All we are is dust in the wind. Dust in the wind.

Are you from daown saouth?

I'm not loving anything yet- to be honest. Might after a few inspired Sundays (win or loose) on the gridiron.

Nor am I particularly disatisfied. I believe these men have a plan, and I like that they are not flapping their lips (like Shannon Sharp) about it in public.

I think there is still dust in the wind.

All we are is dust in the wind. Dust in the wind.

Keep dissing those Southern types...

your easy-going positive outlook on things must make you a real nice person to be around - just kidding about the real nice person to be around thing - life must really be hard for you - i am sorry for you

Yes, just because I am willing to admit that the Bills will not have a winning season this year must make me a miserable person. This makes logical sense.

I also think teams such as Tampa, Cleveland, St. Louis, Kansas City, Detroit, and Seattle are likely to struggle this year.

This must make me a SUPER negative, unfun person - AMIRITE?

I think the Colts and the Saints are likely to have winning seasons, though.

So maybe I really am an optimist at heart :rolleyes:

I like the positivity. Nice change up from the we're doomed - The Bills are starring in a rendition of Ground Hog Day - Life is a cyclic B**T F**K posts.

However, I think I would feel a little more reassured were we to bring in a FA OT to show the young guys the ropes. I think its important for young developing players to have a veteran role model to show them certain things. One way of improving is to learn from the mistakes you make -- veteran help can help you reduce the number of mistakes you make in the first place.

I could not agree more.

The wanna-be Kiper's of the world don't know a thing.

You can't grade a draft before atleast 3 seasons.

And just as a side note....is anyone else as happy as I am to find that the Bills did not actually waste a high round draft pick on the defensive secondary as had been the norm this past decade?

You do not wait until round 7 to draft a QB if he is a part of your "long term plan." Now, don't misunderstand. Brown might be a player. Brady and Hasselback were picked late. My point is if they had a strong opinion on a QB they would have taken him a lot sooner.