Brian Brohm, who took him from Greenbay?

PS 56

Brohm is really the only unknown on the roster. Fitz probably won't get any better but makes a pretty good backup. If he plays 2-3 games a year, he has a chance to win them. Any more than that and the team is in trouble. TE - he is what he is and probably won't get significantly better. Better coaching may make him slightly better but doesn't seem to have the presence to consistently lead. If the team around him is great, he'll be good. He probably won't lift the team out of the depths. Brohm appears to have all the tools and was able to apply them in college. In the NFL he is still an unknown but has improved each year. The game last year doesn't count. Very poor team and no time to learn the scheme and he did a few things well. I'm very interested to see what he can do with more time to learn and more coaching.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually you know nothing about Edwards then. He doesn't have the arm strength that losman did but he can put the out pattern ball there pretty damn quick and have zip out to about 40 yards. he can't chuck it 75 yards, but his arm strength far exceeds Fitz or Brohm. I don't know enough about Brown to say one way or another.

Sorry VA I cant agree with that......unless Trent is just holding it back and refusing to use it.

Brohm is really the only unknown on the roster. Fitz probably won't get any better but makes a pretty good backup. If he plays 2-3 games a year, he has a chance to win them. Any more than that and the team is in trouble. TE - he is what he is and probably won't get significantly better. Better coaching may make him slightly better but doesn't seem to have the presence to consistently lead. If the team around him is great, he'll be good. He probably won't lift the team out of the depths. Brohm appears to have all the tools and was able to apply them in college. In the NFL he is still an unknown but has improved each year. The game last year doesn't count. Very poor team and no time to learn the scheme and he did a few things well. I'm very interested to see what he can do with more time to learn and more coaching.

I agree. Fitz probably won't get any better. Trent has some upside especially with a new coach but not as much as Brohm. He does have all the tools to be a NFL caliber QB but so far hasn't put it together. Hopefully after a full off-season with a real offensive coach like Gailey at the helm he can turn it on.

Personally, I am still up in the air on who will be the starter day 1. I think its pretty even between Edwards and Brohm. Fitzy is going to take a backseat this year and just be a reliable backup.

I don't want to watch Trent Edwards play football ever again. Or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I know what it looks like and I don't enjoy it one bit.

It's obviously very unlikely Brohm will amount to anything, but I'd like to see him play just to see SOMETHING different.

OBVIOUS? it's not obvious to me that brohm will unlikely amount to anything. just the opposite. you've seen the guy play one game with no practice and he did fairly well imo and many others here. what am I missing here,why is it so obvious?

He can't make the out throws and he can't throw beyond 20 with any strength and accuracy. He will never be even a servicable QB in the NFL. All you need to know is in this article about how he had no desire, and ability to beat out a 7th rounder. He makes Trent Edwards look like Dan Marino, Joe Montana and John Elway.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52476322.html

This is just absurd. He can't throw beyong 20 yards with any strength and accuracy. what do you have to back that up? or are you just making things up? You should change your name to Nostradamus because you know he'll never be a servicable qb. honestly, that is just nonsense. Nobody knows. not even the coaches. what do you think the word DEVELOP means? Isn't it POSSIBLE he has learned in 2 years? I am so sick of people saying he couldnt beat out a 7th rounder as evidence he's no good. He looked good in the Atlanta game for his first start. Given more reps, he is likely to get better.

I will have to say that I am actually pretty excited about the team going into training camp with an open competition for the starting job. I agree with many on here's take of Fitz. He is the one guy whose fate is pretty much sealed as he's shown that he isn't a bad QB2 option. That would leave the real open competition for the starting job up to Edwards and Brohm. We will find out quickly whether Brohm's phase out in Green Bay was a maturity issue (a privileged kid not being able to handle competition, especially when the job he was fighting for was QB2 behind Rodgers) or if it was due to a lack of skill/talent. My money is on the former -- and, if so, I hope he welcomes the true open competition.

Was intrigued - the initial linked article mentions him being on the cover of SI as a HS junior - here it is

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cov.../9874/index.htm

Here's the corresponding article that discusses him being a multi-sport HS star athlete

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...27480/index.htm

Was intrigued - the initial linked article mentions him being on the cover of SI as a HS junior - here it is

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cov.../9874/index.htm

Here's the corresponding article that discusses him being a multi-sport HS star athlete

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...27480/index.htm

Great find! That took some work! :thumbsup:

As most of you know, I think that Trent can be a good QB for us and is the best option.

Nevertheless, I recall Brohm lighting up my Hurricanes when the Canes were pretty good. He has some skills and was once compared to another Buffalo Bills QB who does not like QBs from California.

TE is a proven loser. He has a weak arm, difficulty reading Ds and has no balls. He should be cut.

If you watched that game he started in last season, most of his throws were good except the deep ball to TO, which he under threw and was intercepted. Seems like he tired as the game went on and the balls came out weaker at the end.

College is so much easier then the pro's, wish I had a dollar for every QB that looked great in school and then fell on his face at the NFL level.

At Atlanta he went 17-29 146 yds 0 TD's 2 INTs, probably why they went back to Fritz the next game.

LOL...the reason they went back to Fitz was because Brohm had only the one week taking reps with the team and had only about a month to learn a brand new playbook, his 3rd playbook in 3 years (Louisville, GB, then Buf). He wasnt ready to play, they had no intention on playing him, but because of injuries he got thrust in anyway.

I posted this in another thread thinking I may have been onto a secret.....then I see you already posted it...:thumbsup:

I think it would be interesting to know if Brohm was a Nix plant

I agree. I just don't think Nix went from scout to GM overnight. I think he was brought back with the GM job in hand and was told to look things over. I just think getting Brohm from Green Bay was an astute move. I mean we had a third string quarterback already!

Here's 1 big thing that Brohm has that Bledsoe never had, that Trent doesn't have, and that Jim Kelly didn't always have....the ability to look off safeties. Bledsoe was notorious for staring down receivers and Trent has to be the worst I've ever seen at it. The MNF game against Dallas when he threw that pick at the end? He was staring at Lee Evans from before the snap until Terence Newman picked it off. I was at the other end of the field and could see exactly where the ball was going so if Newman hadn't read it, someone on the Dallas defense was going to. Brohm, however, in his only start for us, was looking off safeties and being very un-Trent-like in that respect.

I personally wanna see more

Here's 1 big thing that Brohm has that Bledsoe never had, that Trent doesn't have, and that Jim Kelly didn't always have....the ability to look off safeties. Bledsoe was notorious for staring down receivers and Trent has to be the worst I've ever seen at it. The MNF game against Dallas when he threw that pick at the end? He was staring at Lee Evans from before the snap until Terence Newman picked it off. I was at the other end of the field and could see exactly where the ball was going so if Newman hadn't read it, someone on the Dallas defense was going to. Brohm, however, in his only start for us, was looking off safeties and being very un-Trent-like in that respect.

I personally wanna see more

Good thing or he might have thrown more than two interceptions.

As most of you know, I think that Trent can be a good QB for us and is the best option.

Nevertheless, I recall Brohm lighting up my Hurricanes when the Canes were pretty good. He has some skills and was once compared to another Buffalo Bills QB who does not like QBs from California.

I too agree that Edwards can be good and is our best option, however if he ends up sucking it up I don't want to make the trip to the Ralph to watch Fitzpatrick. Just put Brohm in if Trent isn't cutting it. Iv'e seen enough of Fitzpatrick. He's a waste of our time and money.

I agree with the above poster that if we start with Trent and he begins to regress again, we need to play Brohm since we already know what we have in Fitzpatrick. That was something that really bugged me last season, but I understand that Fewell was going with the best option for him to get the job.

I think this coaching staff should have a good idea after preseason how far along Brohm is and whether or not to start him, or if he could replace edwards if he regresses. I don't think gaily is a genius of an offensive mind, but he is probably the best offensive mind we have had in a long time. So I am hoping he will handle the QB situation well and get the most out of whichever one he starts. So even without a big change at QB (or LT for that matter), I expect noticable improvement at the QB position. Though it will probably still suck and we stick to running the hell out of the ball.

I too agree that Edwards can be good and is our best option, however if he ends up sucking it up I don't want to make the trip to the Ralph to watch Fitzpatrick. Just put Brohm in if Trent isn't cutting it. Iv'e seen enough of Fitzpatrick. He's a waste of our time and money.

Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick have been almost dead even in terms of NFL effectiveness. They are also one year apart in age and have almost the same game time experience. Both QBs have had to deal with an assortment of different playbooks and playing conditions.

Both Trent and Ryan have appeared in at least 29 NFL games and multiple training camps.

At this point, the team and fans need to temper any expectations from these guys, the upside is limited for both. IMO, they both have a place in the NFL but are backup quality players. There is no evidence too believe either one is much better than the other.

I am hoping Brian Brohm or Levi Brown can do enough to win the starting position. IMO, if they are even comparable to Trent and Ryan, the youngsters should get the nod.

I think if Levi Brown is ever going to start an NFL game, it will be in his second year at least. Unless there is some miracle that happens. I have hope for Brohm, just because he is a high draft pick who hasn't really had a lot of playing time. So .... maybe some hope for him.

I think i do expect though. Whoever the QB is this season, we are going to see them handing the ball off an a lot.

He stepped onto an NFL field for ONE game though.

Unless you're referring to his preseason games? Not sure you can really count on pre-season games to judge a young QB...

One game behind a decimated line, at the end of the season, being on the team for one month. I think many people are overlooking Brohm, I think he has the most upside at the QB position and I'm excited to see if he can bring anything to the table and be a pleasant surprise for this team.