Brian Brohm, who took him from Greenbay?

PS 56

Linky

War Room analysis

POST-DRAFT TAKE: The Packers just sent Aaron Rodgers a strong signal that he just might not be the team's long-term answer at QB. Brohm is a much better prospect now than when Rodgers entered the NFL in 2005. If Rodgers struggles in '08, Brohm will step in and take the job for good.

PRE-DRAFT REPORT:

Arm strength: Makes all the throws with zip and accuracy, but lacks a true rocket arm. Footwork, delivery and release are so efficient, they make arm look stronger than it really is. Cannot make great downfield throws when unable to stride into them. Grade: 8.5

Accuracy/delivery: Has a compact and efficient release; combined with footwork, consistently gets rid of the ball quickly. Sometimes gets deliberate when throwing, leading to defenders closing in on and breaking up passes. Is accurate on throws all over the field. Grade: 8.5

Field vision: Shows great field vision, identifying coverages and making correct decisions. Doesn't get fooled by schemes and switches, and gets the ball to the right man. Grade: 8.5

Running ability: Shows great, quick footwork to slide and move well in the pocket to avoid pressure to buy more time. Lacks the ability to tuck the ball and run to make big plays. Grade: 6.5

Intangibles: Comes from family of coaches; clearly has the work ethic, smarts and feel for the position that is rare for a college QB. Leads more by example; isn't the vocal, take-command type. Grade: 8.0

Bottom line: Considering Brohm is the son of a coach and his brother coached him at Louisville, it is no surprise that he has great footwork and technique. He typically makes great decisions, although he had to force things trying to carry the offense as a senior. In addition to his strong, accurate arm, Brohm has both the mental and athletic acumen to become a terrific NFL quarterback who starts early in his pro career.

Vinnie Iyer analysis

Again, another pick for which the Pack will get criticized, but another one I like. Great value here for a quarterback who might end up being the best one in this class. This should light a fire under Aaron Rodgers and also gives Green Bay someone to develop if Rodgers can't quite be the successor to Brett Favre.

Correspondent Analysis

Could have come out his junior year and been a higher pick. Has an injury history, which should worry the Packers. He has sustained a torn ACL in his knee, a torn thumb ligament and a torn labrum during the past three seasons. He doesn't have the strongest arm and doesn't run that well, but he is accurate and seems to play well off play-action fakes, a Packers specialty. He probably is ready-made enough to be the backup. How much more he'll grow is the big question. -- Tom Silverstein

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brohm has no arm strength. He will not be the Bills QB.
If you watched that game he started in last season, most of his throws were good except the deep ball to TO, which he under threw and was intercepted. Seems like he tired as the game went on and the balls came out weaker at the end.

College is so much easier then the pro's, wish I had a dollar for every QB that looked great in school and then fell on his face at the NFL level.

At Atlanta he went 17-29 146 yds 0 TD's 2 INTs, probably why they went back to Fritz the next game.

If you watched that game he started in last season, most of his throws were good except the deep ball to TO, which he under threw and was intercepted. Seems like he tired as the game went on and the balls came out weaker at the end.

College is so much easier then the pro's, wish I had a dollar for every QB that looked great in school and then fell on his face at the NFL level.

At Atlanta he went 17-29 146 yds 0 TD's 2 INTs, probably why they went back to Fritz the next game.

In most of the things I posted above they say his arm strength is good enough to make all the throws. His performance last year was after coming in and starting shortly thereafter. I'm excited to see what he can do this year. If he can get his head on straight he might be a real find. :lol:

He can't make the out throws and he can't throw beyond 20 with any strength and accuracy. He will never be even a servicable QB in the NFL. All you need to know is in this article about how he had no desire, and ability to beat out a 7th rounder. He makes Trent Edwards look like Dan Marino, Joe Montana and John Elway.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52476322.html

Look, I have no idea whether Brohm is the answer, but anyone who judges him based upon the Atlanta game doesn't have a clue.

- Minimal reps in practice

- Pop Warner playbook

- FIRST NFL start

It's not as if he took over the Saints' offense for Brees and then schitt the bed. I'm impressed the guy completed nearly 60% of his passes, even if they were quick outs and checkdowns.

I'm very interested to see what Brohm brings to the table following a full offseason program and training camp under Gailey's staff. I'm equally interested in what the same does for Edwards. I'll leave it at that.

He can't make the out throws and he can't throw beyond 20 with any strength and accuracy. He will never be even a servicable QB in the NFL. All you need to know is in this article about how he had no desire, and ability to beat out a 7th rounder. He makes Trent Edwards look like Dan Marino, Joe Montana and John Elway.

Problem is Edwards can't make those throws either.

Brohm has some upside but every time he has stepped on an NFL field he has the deer in the headlights look. The game just looks like it is too fast for him. Trent on the other hand, the game is not too fast for him, it's too physical. I hope the game slows down for Brohm and he wins the job. Trent is just so frustrating to watch when he's playing like a kitty

I agree with most of what you're saying here. But it's hard for me to think of TE as a puss when I remember him stepping into a throw then basically eating Adrian Wilson's helmet for his 1st concussion. Maybe he's developing "David Carr Syndrome". But for someone who has been hit as often and as hard as Edwards has, I think it's odd to call him a puss.

Problem is Edwards can't make those throws either.

Actually you know nothing about Edwards then. He doesn't have the arm strength that losman did but he can put the out pattern ball there pretty damn quick and have zip out to about 40 yards. he can't chuck it 75 yards, but his arm strength far exceeds Fitz or Brohm. I don't know enough about Brown to say one way or another.

I agree with most of what you're saying here. But it's hard for me to think of TE as a puss when I remember him stepping into a throw then basically eating Adrian Wilson's helmet for his 1st concussion. Maybe he's developing "David Carr Syndrome". But for someone who has been hit as often and as hard as Edwards has, I think it's odd to call him a puss.

It's tough to reason with a bunch of folks who mommies wouldn't let them play football even in pee-wee because they might get hurt. They played kickball (some folks call it soccer) in one of those county non-contact leagues.

Actually you know nothing about Edwards then. He doesn't have the arm strength that losman did but he can put the out pattern ball there pretty damn quick and have zip out to about 40 yards. he can't chuck it 75 yards, but his arm strength far exceeds Fitz or Brohm. I don't know enough about Brown to say one way or another.

You can't be serious? Edwards has the weakest arm of the bunch. Bounces 15 yard outs off the turf, anything over 25 yards flutters. He pushes the ball instead of slinging it with authority.

If you honestly believe this kitty has an NFL calibre arm you gotta be a relative of his.

He wasn't that good before then. Jesus folks come on already. The TEAM went 4-0 and Edwards was average as a QB.

The guys is a flat out kitty. He won't throw with anticipation, he always waits till a WR is wide open before pushing the ball to him. This guy never should have started an NFL game but unfortunately we are going to keep him around for some reason. I guess every team needs a 3rd stringer with playing time.

Nevertheless, I recall Brohm lighting up my Hurricanes when the Canes were pretty good. He has some skills and was once compared to another Buffalo Bills QB who does not like QBs from California.

I remember those games. The guy couldn't miss his receivers against the U. I'm OK with giving Edwards one more shot, but I also hope Brohm gets some playing time.

Using tips from McCarthy and quarterbacks coach Tom Clements plus NFL-style weight-training, Rodgers now can hum a football much tighter and faster than he did in 2005.

:lol::w00t:

I was going over the timelines of last season. Jauron gets canned on a Tuesday. Fewell takes over as interim HC. On Thursday the team gets rid of Hamdan and picks up Brohm, a second round Green Bay pick. Green Bay matches the Bills offer and offers to put Brohm on the roster. He declines and goes to Buffalo because he views the grass as greener.

So who was the guy in the back ofice that spotted him and grabbed him? I wonder how much Buddy Nix was involved in this? The more I read about Brohm, the more I think he could be our QB this season. (article from january.. http://www.oleantimesherald.com/articles/2...b382865455.txt).

It will be interesting to see how he does in camp.

:lol:

I told you all this months ago. The Brohm era is upon us and he'll do just fine.

dare I ask you WHY the only option is Edwards? Brohm has the most upside, why is it not possible he has developed enough after two years and the light finally goes on for him?

Anything's possible. It's just pretty unlikely. How many 2nd round draft pick QB's get cut their rookie year? He's shown nothing at this level to suggest he can play, much less play well.

I think Brohm's arm strength has improved over the years and will be in the starter if not, than the backup. Fitz will most likely be gone next year. I think Brohm being more mobile than Trent, gives him an upper hand.

1) Where did you get that idea? It's just untrue.

2) Is Trent's 'immobility' really his problem?

He stepped onto an NFL field for ONE game though.

Unless you're referring to his preseason games? Not sure you can really count on pre-season games to judge a young QB...

You have to use something. It may be preseason but it's still against NFL talent. It's certainly better than judging him against college-level talent. If he performs poorly against second and third stringers, how exactly is he going to be the savior of this franchise?

I don't want to watch Trent Edwards play football ever again. Or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I know what it looks like and I don't enjoy it one bit.

It's obviously very unlikely Brohm will amount to anything, but I'd like to see him play just to see SOMETHING different.

You might want to skip the 2010 season then...

He looked terrible against Atlanta. What game were you watching?

You can't be serious? Edwards has the weakest arm of the bunch. Bounces 15 yard outs off the turf, anything over 25 yards flutters. He pushes the ball instead of slinging it with authority.

If you honestly believe this kitty has an NFL calibre arm you gotta be a relative of his.

Oh good. You're back.

Your hate for Edwards is irrational and your criticism is unfounded: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...-vs-Ravens-2007

He wasn't that good before then. Jesus folks come on already. The TEAM went 4-0 and Edwards was average as a QB.

The guys is a flat out kitty. He won't throw with anticipation, he always waits till a WR is wide open before pushing the ball to him. This guy never should have started an NFL game but unfortunately we are going to keep him around for some reason. I guess every team needs a 3rd stringer with playing time.

So he's a kitty? Just making sure. Hadn't heard you say it in the last few minutes...

I told you all this months ago. The Brohm era is upon us and he'll do just fine.

Will you be around speaking his praises when Brohm gets cut at the end of the year (or sooner)?

Brohm has some upside but every time he has stepped on an NFL field he has the deer in the headlights look. The game just looks like it is too fast for him. Trent on the other hand, the game is not too fast for him, it's too physical. I hope the game slows down for Brohm and he wins the job. Trent is just so frustrating to watch when he's playing like a kitty

It's another instance of "this guy's arm, this guy's brain, this guy's brith place and now we have a starting QB" type of things.

A best of video;

I've got a great idea. I'll start posting Trent Edwards' Stanford video. The guy looked great in college.

Brohm's college stuff is two years out of date. When college data is all you have (before the draft, for example), it's great stuff. But so much later, it's like sending your elementary school transcript on your application for a doctoral degree.

The only stuff that is relevant is his pro experience. Otherwise we can all start salivating over the Mike Williams Texas video all over again. Seriously, forget the college stuff.

I think Brohm's arm strength has improved over the years and will be in the starter if not, than the backup. Fitz will most likely be gone next year. I think Brohm being more mobile than Trent, gives him an upper hand.

I agree it is between Brohm & TE. Fitz was a caretaker whose upside we have already seen. Gailey is supposed to be creative when it comes to his QB. He will certainly get his chance to prove that once again.