Brian Brohm, who took him from Greenbay?

PS 56

I was going over the timelines of last season. Jauron gets canned on a Tuesday. Fewell takes over as interim HC. On Thursday the team gets rid of Hamdan and picks up Brohm, a second round Green Bay pick. Green Bay matches the Bills offer and offers to put Brohm on the roster. He declines and goes to Buffalo because he views the grass as greener.

So who was the guy in the back ofice that spotted him and grabbed him? I wonder how much Buddy Nix was involved in this? The more I read about Brohm, the more I think he could be our QB this season. (article from january.. http://www.oleantimesherald.com/articles/2...b382865455.txt).

It will be interesting to see how he does in camp.

:)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As most of you know, I think that Trent can be a good QB for us and is the best option.

Nevertheless, I recall Brohm lighting up my Hurricanes when the Canes were pretty good. He has some skills and was once compared to another Buffalo Bills QB who does not like QBs from California.

I was going over the timelines of last season. Jauron gets canned on a Tuesday. Fewell takes over as interim HC. On Thursday the team gets rid of Hamdan and picks up Brohm, a second round Green Bay pick. Green Bay matches the Bills offer and offers to put Brohm on the roster. He declines and goes to Buffalo because he views the grass as greener.

So who was the guy in the back ofice that spotted him and grabbed him? I wonder how much Buddy Nix was involved in this? The more I read about Brohm, the more I think he could be our QB this season. (article from january.. http://www.oleantimesherald.com/articles/2...b382865455.txt).

Who ever it was that took Brohm is gone now, otherwise it is bad news. The only option the Bills have for 2010 is Edwards as sad as that is.

Nice article. one i haven't seen yet. I am very excited to see what Brohm can do. I think he is going to be the man. He's got his second chance now, hope he makes the best of it.

Who ever it was that took Brohm is gone now, otherwise it is bad news. The only option the Bills have for 2010 is Edwards as sad as that is.

dare I ask you WHY the only option is Edwards? Brohm has the most upside, why is it not possible he has developed enough after two years and the light finally goes on for him?

Nice article. one i haven't seen yet. I am very excited to see what Brohm can do. I think he is going to be the man. He's got his second chance now, hope he makes the best of it.

dare I ask you WHY the only option is Edwards? Brohm has the most upside, why is it not possible he has developed enough after two years and the light finally goes on for him?

Brohm has no arm strength. He will not be the Bills QB.

I agree. At this point, however, I feel the position is open to whoever performs in training camp. I am pulling for Brohm though because I do like his upside. That being said I wouldn't mind Edwards if he is checking down to Spiller :)

Brohm has some upside but every time he has stepped on an NFL field he has the deer in the headlights look. The game just looks like it is too fast for him. Trent on the other hand, the game is not too fast for him, it's too physical. I hope the game slows down for Brohm and he wins the job. Trent is just so frustrating to watch when he's playing like a kitty

Brohm has some upside but every time he has stepped on an NFL field he has the deer in the headlights look. The game just looks like it is too fast for him. Trent on the other hand, the game is not too fast for him, it's too physical. I hope the game slows down for Brohm and he wins the job. Trent is just so frustrating to watch when he's playing like a kitty

He stepped onto an NFL field for ONE game though.

Unless you're referring to his preseason games? Not sure you can really count on pre-season games to judge a young QB...

:lol:

Nix was a college scout last year, he wasn't involved in the pro personnel department's evaluation.

Most likely it was John Guy recommending him and someone above that over-riding the red-light that Jauron had probably put on the whole thing. Russ? Mr. Wilson?

No way to know for sure, of course, until they start talking, but that's the best guess.

I don't know Nix could have been the guy to take Brohm. Brohm seems like a guy Nix would love if he were coming out of college. Guy started a whole bunch of games in college, consistently had a completion percentage well above 60%, never had any serious injuries, and played in cold weather. The fact that we got the guy for free to me speaks that Nix or someone else in the front office not associated with the Jauron era pulled the trigger on the kid.

If it was Jauron or one of his guys why would they make this move right after he was fired? You don't let a regime on its way out make a personnel decision let alone one involving the QB position. Not saying Nix wanted Brohm but the guy that wanted Brohm is still in the Bills organization.

A best of video;

Link

Brian Brohm NFL Draft Bio

Brian Brohm (born September 23, 1985 in Louisville, Kentucky) is currently the starting quarterback for the University of Louisville, a member of the Big East Conference.He is a 6-foot-4, 225-pound quarterback from Louisville (Ky.) Trinity High School, Brohm was named the 2005 Big East Offensive Player of the Year while leading the Cardinals to a 9-3 record and an appearance in the 2006 Toyota Gator Bowl. In 2006, he led the Cardinals to a 12-1 record and earned MVP honors in the 2007 Orange Bowl.

College Louisville

Sport Football

Position QB

Class Senior

Career 2004 – present

Height 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)

Weight 225 pounds (102.1 kg)

Nationality United States

Born September 23, 1985 (1985-09-23) (age 22)

Louisville, Kentucky

High school Trinity HS,

Louisville

High school career

While passing for 20,579 yards and 119 touchdowns during his prep career, Brohm led the Trinity Shamrocks to the 4-A state title in 2001, 2002, and 2003. Brian was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated on November 18, 2002, while he was a junior in high school. Brohm was named 2003 Kentucky Mr. Football and was the Gatorade Player of the Year for 2003. Brohm was named one of the top five quarterbacks in America by Rivals.com and was selected to participate in the 2004 U.S. Army All-American game in San Antonio, Texas.

Brohm also played basketball and baseball for the Shamrocks, helping the basketball team to its first ever Regional title and the baseball team to a state runner-up finish.

College career

Brohm announced his decision to attend the University of Louisville on January 20, 2004, picking the hometown Cardinals over scholarship offers from the University of Kentucky, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Alabama, Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois and others. Brohm enrolled at Louisville in the fall of 2004 and immediately began competing for the starting quarterback spot with Stefan LeFors.

His first season, Brohm was named Conference USA Freshman of the Year, despite not starting a single game. Brohm completed 66 of 98 passes for 819 yards and six touchdowns. After entering the game for at least one series per game as a true freshman, Brohm followed in the footsteps of father, Oscar, and brother, Jeff, by becoming a starting quarterback at the University of Louisville in 2005. His brother, Greg, also played at Louisville as a receiver.

In 2005, Brohm passed for 2,883 yards and 19 touchdowns before suffering a season-ending knee injury in a game against Syracuse on November 25. He was forced to miss Louisville's last regular season game, a December 2 matchup against Connecticut, and was still in rehabilitation when the Cardinals lost to Virginia Tech in the 2006 Gator Bowl.

Brohm injured his thumb in Louisville's September 16, 2006 victory over Miami. He returned as starting quarterback in Louisville's October 14, 2006 victory against Cincinnati. He had been replaced at starting quarterback by sophomore backup Hunter Cantwell for the previous two games. Before his injury, Brohm was one of two candidates at U of L for the 2006 Heisman Trophy, along with senior running back Michael Bush. The pair, both born and raised in Louisville, were dubbed "The Derby City Duo."

In the 2007 Orange Bowl, Brohm earned MVP honors by leading Louisville to its first ever BCS victory, 24-13 over Wake Forest. Brohm completed 24 of 34 passes for 311 yards, the third highest total in Orange Bowl history.

Rivals .com named Brohm as one of the top 10 quarterbacks going into the 2007 season.

Brohm had a good year in 2007, completing 308 of 473 passes for 4,024 yards for 30 touchdown and 12 interceptions, giving him a QB Rating of 152. Despite his play, the Louisville Cardinals went 6-6, and did not make a bowl game.

Career speculation

Though The Sporting News projected Brohm as high as the top pick in the 2007 NFL draft, and many other experts had projected him as going no later than the first round, Brohm announced on January 15, 2007, after a long period of speculation, that he would return to the University of Louisville for his senior year.

After the 2007 Orange Bowl, he stated that "Right now, coming back and trying to win a national title looks very appealing." Almost all analysts believe that Brohm has NFL talent, however they disagree about his draft status and whether he should have stayed for his senior season. Following the announcement of his now former head coach Bobby Petrino as new head coach of the Atlanta Falcons, further speculation occurred that Brohm might skip his senior season, which would inevitably be under a new head coach, and enter the draft.

The fact that the 2008 draft is infused with top-prospect quarterbacks whose playing styles are very similar to Brohm's (most notably Kentucky's Andre Woodson, Michigan's Chad Henne, USC's John David Booty, Penn State's Anthony Morelli, Hawai'i's Colt Brennan, and Tennessee's Erik Ainge) was also a key argument for Brohm's possible entry in the 2007 draft, where the other first round-bound quarterbacks include the more diverse characters of Brady Quinn and JaMarcus Russell. However, Brohm eventually decided to pass up the potential millions he could earn from the NFL, and instead chose to return for his senior season for another shot at helping the Cardinals to a BCS National Championship. Brohm will have to learn the new offense from the new head coach Steve Kragthorpe, who previously coached at the University of Tulsa. However, ESPN is ranking Brohm as the #1 senior in the '08 draft class, saying his "big arm, prototypical size, quick release, [and] expert touch" help him stand out.

Linkage

Overview

Brian has great football bloodlines, and were he able to stay healthy for the entire 2006 season would probably have been a surefire top 15 pick. As it is, he returned to school for his senior year in order to enhance his draft status and get his degree. Unfortunately, the wheels came off for the entire team in 2007, and, as always, Brian took an inordinate amount of blame for his team's difficulties. At Trinity High School in Louisville, KY, Brian was named the USA Today Offensive Player of the Year for producing 10,579 yards and 119 touchdowns during his prep career. Brian was the recipient of the National Quarterback Club's award for the National High School Quarterback of the Year and was voted one of the 2003 National Top 150 Adidas Playmakers while also being named the Gatorade Player of the Year. Brian was named to the Parade Magazine High School All-American teams and ranked as the No. 1 quarterback and No. 2 prospect by ESPN's Tom Lemming. Led the Shamrocks to three state titles and was awarded the Roy Kidd Award. He was a three-time state finals Most Valuable Player. Brian also started for the East squad in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and finished second in state history in career passing yards and career touchdowns. He also set a state record for career completion percentage and threw for 3,720 yards and 33 touchdowns during senior season, completing 298-of-463 passes. Brian passed for 3,777 yards and 47 touchdowns as a junior. 2003 Kentucky Mr. Football. Brian was also MVP of his high school baseball team that advanced to the semi-finals of the state tournament and has been drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the baseball draft.

Brian performed well at the Combine, throwing the ball with authority and accuracy and, as a result, he re-enhanced his status as one of the top 3 QBs available for the 2008 NFL draft.

Strengths

Brian is a veteran QB who shared time his freshman year with Stefan LeFors. Is like a coach on the field. Knows what to do, when to do it, and displays a classic delivery, touch, and good arm strength. Ideal measurables. A leader who is a student of the game. Inspires people around him. Makes all the throws. Comes from football bloodlines and has seen it all. One of the most NFL-ready QBs to come along in years. Was more productive every year, and did a fine job even when UL suffered mightily on the field in 2007 versus the preseason bowl predictions. Smart, and makes good decisions most of the time. Very acceptable ball speed and accuracy.

Weaknesses

Footwork and toughness are the only questionable items. He sometimes puts himself in unfavorable positions that expose him to injury. Foot speed is not great, so he will not escape when the pressure gets to him like others might. Pocket presence is shaky at times. Gets rattled and loses focus at times and struggles to make his reads as quickly as he will need to at the next level. A bit streaky and moody. Concentration and level of play suffer when things start to go wrong. Must be protected well in the pocket. Will not create on the wings.

Projection

Should be a Top 15 choice in the 2008 NFL draft.

Interview with Brian Brohm before the 2007 draft.

Part 1

In this exclusive two-part Q&A, Scout.com’s Chris Steuber talked to Louisville QB Brian Brohm about a wide variety of topics. In Part I, Brohm discusses how he dealt with stardom at an early age, the injuries he endured at Louisville, and much more.

Part 2

In Part II of this exclusive look at Louisville’s star quarterback, Brian Brohm breaks down his own game by analyzing his strengths and weaknesses, discusses how Atlanta would have been an ideal situation if Bobby Petrino was still on board, answers more questions about Matt Ryan, and much more.

CS: The one game that was “must see TV” this past year was the Louisville vs. Kentucky game during Week 3, where you and Andre Woodson went head to head. You completed 65 percent of your passes and threw for 366 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the loss. Although you guys didn’t pull it out in the end, to watch two of the nation’s best QBs in a shootout was great theater. Looking back at that game, what are your thoughts?

Brohm: That was a great game, but unfortunately we were on the wrong end of the stick. I felt like we let that one slip away at the end. Andre Woodson and Steve Johnson connected for a great play at the end. But it was a nice back and forth game that was typical of a rivalry game. First of all, we started out the game with a fumble and an interception. It didn’t start off too well, we spotted them 10 points right off the bat. It was a huge game. There was a lot of excitement. I think that game brings a lot of excitement to the State of Kentucky.

Position: Quarterback

School: Louisville

Height: 6-4

Weight: 225

40-Yard Dash: 4.95 (EST)

Positives:

Brohm has a very similar body type to Brady Quinn. He's tall and stands with poise. He moves well around the pocket and his patience allows plays to fully develop. He has speed and can be a threat on the ground if necessary, but also like Quinn, prefers to work with his arm rather than his feet.

His arm is as good as they come (just ask the MLB team that drafted him). He throws a great deep ball but more importantly, the majority of his passes have touch, making it easy for his receivers to pick up yardage after the catch.

Often forgotten is that Brohm has been under the microscope since high school. In 2002 he was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated as one the nations top young quarterbacks. Thus far he is unphased by the spotlight. He doesn't make the mind-bending mistakes that most young QBs tend to when under pressure. His calm and confident nature is the keystone to success as a QB in the NFL.

Negatives:

There are only two major problems on Brohm’s resume; injuries and touchdowns. Durability is a major question. Anyone looking at Brohm has to be concerned. In 2005 he tore his ACL. Despite the tear, he went through a Carson Palmer-like rehabilitation and was able to start the season opener for his Louisville Cardinals.

Just a few games into the 2006 season, Brohm broke his hand. The hand required surgery and he was forced to sit for a month.

Overview:

When healthy Brohm is one of the best play callers in the nation. He has a Tom Brady swagger with a Carson Palmer-like arm. He's big and strong and makes sound decisions for his team. However, he has a downside that the other top quarterback's don't and that's durability. He appears to be relatively fragile and that could scare teams away from taking him high in the first round of the draft.

Projection:

Early First Round

I don't want to watch Trent Edwards play football ever again. Or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I know what it looks like and I don't enjoy it one bit.

It's obviously very unlikely Brohm will amount to anything, but I'd like to see him play just to see SOMETHING different.

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded varying degrees of All-Conference honors since his sophomore campaign. Named Big East Offensive Player of the Year in 2005. Senior-year passing numbers included 65.1%/4024/30/12. Numbers as a junior included 63.6%/3049/16/5. Selected by the Colorado Rockies in the MLB draft.

POSITIVES: Poised pocket-passer with good intangibles. Displays terrific field sense, goes through progressions, and scans the field looking for the open wideout. Buys time for receivers, makes good choices, and possesses a quick release. Will stand in the pocket to get the ball off and throws with good fundamentals. Sells ball fakes and knows where receivers are on the field. Constantly looks downfield and can roll outside the pocket to make the pass on the move. Displays zip on his shorter throws and puts touch on passes when necessary.

NEGATIVES: Cannot escape the rush. Does not have the arm strength necessary to drive deep throws. Gets rattled under the blitz and loses confidence in the face of pressure. Must improve the placement of his passes, as he is usually high or late on timing throws.

ANALYSIS: Brohm has been an ultra-productive college quarterback and has benefited from a passer-friendly offense. He possesses the tools to lead a team at the next level, yet he is by no means a franchise quarterback or a sure thing.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...l#ixzz0mNjap3EK

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

I don't want to watch Trent Edwards play football ever again. Or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I know what it looks like and I don't enjoy it one bit.

It's obviously very unlikely Brohm will amount to anything, but I'd like to see him play just to see SOMETHING different.

The more I read about him the more I like him. I wouldn't count him out just yet.

Brian Brohm's NFL Draft Preview

The Professor

Published March 07, 2008 by:

Brian Brohm the golden boy of Louisville is headed to the NFL Draft. Brohm has always been a hyped player and he proved himself early on in Louisville. He was named the Big East Freshman of the year in 2004. When he was handed the reins as a sophomore Brohm passed for 2883 yards and 19 touchdowns. He combined over his last two years to throw for 7073 yards and 46 touchdowns. Brohm is the real deal and is even perfect from a physical standpoint to be a NFL quarterback.

Strengths: He is perfect for a quarterback. He has a nice build and is tough enough sit in the pocket and take a hit. He has an excellent arm and is pretty accurate with his throws. He has enough mobility to move around the pocket and buy some time. He has also shown smart decision making on the field. His efficient play is shown through his 71 TD to 24 interceptions over his career at Louisville.

Weaknesses: He can't make plays with his legs. He also has a problem with staying healthy. He tore his ACL as a sophomore. He also tore ligaments in his thumb and needed surgery on left shoulder last year. This makes him an injury risk for any team looking to draft a quarterback. Brohm will have to stay healthy in the NFL to lay concerns about his durability to rest. But, for now there are definitely worries about his health.

Where he could fall: His most likely landing spots are Kansas City at # 5 and Baltimore at # 8. Kansas City can't depend on Brodie Croyle and needs a new quarterback. Baltimore needs a successor for Steve McNair and Brohm can fill that role. Chicago at # 14 is in need of a quarterback as Rex Grossman has failed. These three teams seem to be Brohm's most likely landing spots as they all need quarterbacks now or will need one in a year or two.

More information: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=164609