Nix going to trade for LT?

Interesting quote from Nix last night:

"You say well we haven't addressed the offensive line," Nix said. "But we want to take a guy we know can come in and help us. And if they can't, we're gonna go to another guy. If you take a guy who can't play then you've compounded the problem. Now you've got two who can't play."

That sounds like he'd rather go get a LT than draft a project. Thoughts?

"You say well we haven't addressed the offensive line," Nix said. "But we want to take a guy we know can come in and help us. And if they can't, we're gonna go to another guy. If you take a guy who can't play then you've compounded the problem. Now you've got two who can't play."

Flozell Adams is still out there and I have a hunch that they are going to move Levitre to LT.

It looks like the Saints are overloaded at the T position; http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Charles Brown-T- Saints Apr. 24 - 7:57 am et

Saints GM Mickey Loomis explained that the team drafted OT Charles Brown at the back of round two not as an indictment of Jammal Brown or Jermon Bushrod, but because Brown offered too much value to pass.

This is the way to do it. "He was...the best available player for us on our board by far," said Loomis. "When it came to the pick, it was clearly the best available player." Brown's fall reminds us of William Beatty's last year. A projected first-round pick by virtually everyone, he'll probably end up being a steal as an athlete with ideal length to play left tackle.

Source: Baton Rouge Advocate

I believe they had Jammal Brown on the trading block earlier this year or at least a rumor to that effect. Git'er done Buddy!!

Also from Rotoworld;

Jammal Brown-T- Saints Apr. 24 - 8:01 am et

Saints GM Mickey Loomis was noncommittal when asked about his starting left tackle for the 2010 season Friday night.

"We're going to let it sort itself out," Loomis said. Particularly after Friday's steal of Charles Brown at No. 64, Jammal Brown is squarely on the trade block. He just can't be shipped off until he signs his restricted free agent tender. Brown's trade market will heat up immediately after the draft.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Does N.O. need a safety?

ETA: Greggo drafted Chris Kelsay, I wonder if they'd have any interest there?

I believe they had Jammal Brown on the trading block earlier this year or at least a rumor to that effect. Git'er done Buddy!!

6'6" - 318lbs and only 29. If his injury is fully healed, he would be a stud and really give the young guys a leader. Maybe they need another running back....or a safety......

That sounds like he's picking a guy that can come in and play rather than a project player. No where in them quotes I read we are trading for a LT.

That sounds like he's picking a guy that can come in and play rather than a project player. No where in them quotes I read we are trading for a LT.

True, but it's obvious there's nothing in the draft in the past two rounds who he felt could come in and play right away. I'm just speculating that it could be Buddy-speak for bringing in someone who can play right away after the draft via trade. Or maybe move Levitre to LT and get a guard.

True, but it's obvious there's nothing in the draft in the past two rounds who he felt could come in and play right away. I'm just speculating that it could be Buddy-speak for bringing in someone who can play right away after the draft via trade. Or maybe move Levitre to LT and get a guard.

Haven't they already said multiple times that they like Levitre at G much better than at T? I am pretty sure

the conversation was something like "we don't want to weaken two positions by moving him to where he

isn't as good".

Haven't they already said multiple times that they like Levitre at G much better than at T? I am pretty sure

the conversation was something like "we don't want to weaken two positions by moving him to where he

isn't as good".

No. Jauron said that, I haven't seen anything where Nix and Gailey said that.

Saints | Have talked with others about Jammal Brown

Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:47:43 -0400

Continuing a previous story line, New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said the team has had brief talks with other teams about possibly trading OT Jammal Brown, reports Les East, of The Advocate. He would not get into specifics. He said the team did not draft OT Charles Brown in the second round with the intention of trading Jammal Brown.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/11323/nfl#ixzz0m1M3tkO9

Redskins | Reportedly have asked about Jammal Brown

Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:48:02 -0400

The Washington Redskins have reached out to the New Orleans Saints regarding the availability of restricted free-agent OT Jammal Brown, a league source told The Washington Post's Jason Reid and Paul Tenorio.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/11323/nfl#ixzz0m1MIvv9U

The Redskins took TW in the first round and I'll assume they aren't in the market anymore which helps the Bills. JMO

Sounds like maybe he doesn't even know we need one? Are things ever going to change around here? I am not comparaing the players or the injury, but the Spiller pick reminds me of picking McGahee, drafting where we don't need and avoiding gapping holes.

Sounds like maybe he doesn't even know we need one? Are things ever going to change around here? I am not comparaing the players or the injury, but the Spiller pick reminds me of picking McGahee, drafting where we don't need and avoiding gapping holes.

Besides being RBs and picked in the 1st rnd, what else does Spiller and McGahee have in common?

Levitre is a guard for a reason.

Because he was a rookie.

He is one inch shorter than Jason peters, and did pretty damn good at the end of the season playing LT. In fact, he looked better at LT than at guard where he got blown up by the stronger interior guys too often. I would not be upset with Levitre playing LT.

After finding out about Travis Henry since then it was a good move. Hindsight is 20/20.

Because he was a rookie.

He is one inch shorter than Jason peters, and did pretty damn good at the end of the season playing LT. In fact, he looked better at LT than at guard where he got blown up by the stronger interior guys too often. I would not be upset with Levitre playing LT.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him at LT this year.

I'm pretty sure Nix said something during that Pre Draft Presser...I know I read or heard it recently somewhere...They want to keep Levitre at LG... :beer:

And I've always said Lynch is Travis Henry version 2. Just as Lee Evans is Peerless Price, version 2.

and the problem the the Bills have never found Wil Wolford v2 as his last year in Buffalo was 1992, which also happened to be the last time the Bills made a Super Bowl.

and the problem the the Bills have never found Wil Wolford v2 as his last year in Buffalo was 1992, which also happened to be the last time the Bills made a Super Bowl.

Or Jim Kelly V2, Brice Smith V2, Andre Reed V2, or Thurman Thomas V2.

No, Nix said it about 10 days ago:

Linky

"If you move a guy like Andy you weaken two positions," said Nix. "We're pretty good down the middle and we think he's a better guard. ... And we'd like to keep it that way."

As for Jauron, were you blind during his tenure? Jauron was constantly moving people around.

How could anyone forget last year where Jauron moved the RT to LT, the RG to RT, and took a back up guard and made him the starting center?

No, Nix said it about 10 days ago:

Linky

"If you move a guy like Andy you weaken two positions," said Nix. "We're pretty good down the middle and we think he's a better guard. ... And we'd like to keep it that way."

As for Jauron, were you blind during his tenure? Jauron was constantly moving people around.

How could anyone forget last year where Jauron moved the RT to LT, the RG to RT, and took a back up guard and made him the starting center?

And 10 days ago, the Bills were wining and dining Tebow, and that looked for sure like we were getting him. here we are 10 days later not drafting a LT or QB high, have a guy who played most of his college career at LT on the roster. They don't always do what they publicaly says.

I don't hear anything there which would even slightly indicate a trade.

On the other hand, it seems obvious to me that it's probably our only option. Unfortunately, the only LTs who will be available lack talent. You can get a guy, but he will suck. Saying that, he will still be much better than Demetrius Bell is right now, so I expect it to happen. I bet we'll pick up an LT who simply isn't very good in a trade, as a stop-gap to at least attempt to keep our QBs healthy.

Levitre is a guard for a reason.

Yup.

Because he was a rookie.

Height isn't the issue. Quickness is the issue. Levitre hasn't got it. Peters does.

Jared Gaither from Baltimore, please.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him at LT this year.

It's possible, but if it happens, it will only set Levitre back, because as soon as we get a legit LT in the next year or two, Levitre would be back to guard, but have missed a lot of valuable experience at guard.

And 10 days ago, the Bills were wining and dining Tebow, and that looked for sure like we were getting him. here we are 10 days later not drafting a LT or QB high, have a guy who played most of his college career at LT on the roster. They don't always do what they publicaly says.

True. But that has nothing to do with why I posted that reply to Ice.

Jared Gaither from Baltimore, please.

Gaither would be great, he's extremely talented, but he just won't be available.

If nothing else convinces you (and there's ample evidence out there), how come even though since college we had never heard a peep indicating that Gaither was lazy or had a bad attitude, and yet when Baltimore gave him a first-round tender, suddenly rumors were everywhere about it? Baltimore was the source of those rumors. They don't want to lose him.

Some say that Baltimore doesn't want to pay two guys as a talented left tackle. Doesn't make sense. Right now, both guys have low contracts, but let's say they do break down and sign Gaither for a Peters-level contract (the most likely end to this). Oher is entering the second year of a five-year contract paying just over $2 mill a year. In what universe is that an expensive contract for an excellent RT? Not the 2010 NFL universe, that's for sure. And if Oher stays at RT for three, four or five years, how is he going to expect to get an LT contract? He might expect it, but won't get it.

Add in the fact that Oher played incredibly well at RT this year, but in his five games at LT he played extremely poorly (just check profootballfocus.com and click on his name), and the Ravens are in a very happy situation with an excellent LT and an excellent RT who shows no ability to play LT. Why would they get rid of the LT and put the excellent RT at a position he doesn't play well?

Gaither is staying. Don't waste energy coveting unavailable players.

After finding out about Travis Henry since then it was a good move. Hindsight is 20/20.

No it wasn't. He talked his way out of Buffalo. We used a first-round pick to get one year of convalescence and three years of fairly average RB performance (4.0, 3.8 and 3.8 YPC) and two thirds and a seventh.

Not a good deal at all.

Gaither would be great, he's extremely talented, but he just won't be available.

If nothing else convinces you (and there's ample evidence out there), how come even though since college we had never heard a peep indicating that Gaither was lazy or had a bad attitude, and yet when Baltimore gave him a first-round tender, suddenly rumors were everywhere about it? Baltimore was the source of those rumors. They don't want to lose him.

Some say that Baltimore doesn't want to pay two guys as a talented left tackle. Doesn't make sense. Right now, both guys have low contracts, but let's say they do break down and sign Gaither for a Peters-level contract (the most likely end to this). Oher is entering the second year of a five-year contract paying just over $2 mill a year. In what universe is that an expensive contract for an excellent RT? Not the 2010 NFL universe, that's for sure. And if Oher stays at RT for three, four or five years, how is he going to expect to get an LT contract? He might expect it, but won't get it.

Add in the fact that Oher played incredibly well at RT this year, but in his five games at LT he played extremely poorly (just check profootballfocus.com and click on his name), and the Ravens are in a very happy situation with an excellent LT and an excellent RT who shows no ability to play LT. Why would they get rid of the LT and put the excellent RT at a position he doesn't play well?

Gaither is staying. Don't waste energy coveting unavailable players.

No, he has alwas had the knock on being a player who lacked motivation and was lazy, but because he is talented, he can get by

He may be available, but the Ravens aren't just going to give him away and they are going to get what they want or keep him, theres no cap this year so theres no need to move him

Flozell Adams is still out there and I have a hunch that they are going to move Levitre to LT.

I think you're right. I actually think you draft board below may be how it plays out for the team. I like Larsen from NCSU a lot. He is a four year starter, the Jim Ritcher Award winner, and was never injured. The guy was great against some of the better NTs in his conference, including absolute domination of Cam Thomas who everyone here seems to have a hard on for that gets worse because Buffalo doesn't draft him. I see LeFevour in the 5th and Larsen with our first sixth or a trade up in the fifth to get him. That would move Hangartner to LG and Levitre out to LT. That would be a solid OL. Not best ever, but solid.