"The BILLS Have No Talent"

If I had a dollar for every time that phrase was uttered on this board, I'd give Buffet a run.

The team FINALLY picks the most talented football player on the board - a guy who has absolutely zero question marks. Doesn't fumble. Is a dynamic playmaker regardless of scenario. Has tremendous vision. Doesn't need "Hall of Fame" level blocking. Isn't a douche bag off the field.

Pretty much the anti-Lynch.

He compares favorably with both Marshall Faulk and Chris Johnson. The first game changer in Orchard Park since Thurman's heyday.

This pick is a home run. Baluga, Claussen, or Williams were ALL reaches at 9.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had a dollar for every time that phrase was uttered on this board, I'd give Buffet a run.

The team FINALLY picks the most talented football player on the board - a guy who has absolutely zero question marks. Doesn't fumble. Is a dynamic playmaker regardless of scenario. Has tremendous vision. Doesn't need "Hall of Fame" level blocking. Isn't a douche bag off the field.

He compares favorably with both Marshall Faulk and Chris Johnson. The first game changer in Orchard Park since Thurman's heyday.

awesome!!! i agree. a big need for chan's offense. huge!

I completely agree Darin....great post...

Plus remember there are still 3 VERY GOOD OL's available at the beginning of Round 2 right now...(Charles Brown, Roger Saffold)...if the Bills are not able to get Clausen and who even knows if the Bills want him, getting one of these OT's would be a steal....Brown and Saffold are no different then Baluga as an example, but Spiller was clearly the class of the draft from a RB standpoint.

Although there were needs that needed to be addressed I have to admit I can't argue with them taking the best rated player on their board at that point. I also agree that the guy is solid off the field and seems to have maturity which is great. Bulaga fell to number 23 and Clausen didn't even go in the first round....

Excellent post...kudos to you. <_<

Don't disagree. Was trying to think of the last time the Bills landed a consensus "blue chip" player, and I'm at a loss. I guess Big Mike, although I remember even at that time there was a debate as to whether he could play LT.

The fact is, we got one of the 4-5 "blue chips" of this draft. I can't complain that they stuck to their board. The only way it's a bad pick is if Anthony Davis has a 15 year career as an All Pro.

I'd like to see the lines fortified, as would everyone - good thing there are 6 more rounds.

Gotta be able to exploit that talent. We'll see whether Chan and Co. can do that.

The one thing that makes this pick more palatable to me was the players taken after Spiller. Consensus tells us that Baluga, Clausen & Williams would have been reaches.

Still would have preferred a trade down rather than a quick pick. I realize that groundwork for many/most trades is probably done before a team is on the clock (if this guy is there then...), but to rush your pick rather than see what might be happen???

8 more picks to go...let's make 'em count.

Anthony Davis wasn't a reach at 9. The D could have used a player like Paul-Pierre. A little raw to be sure but this D needs playmakers and he fits that bill.

And does Spiller really have no weaknesses? I haven't seen Clemson much in the past few years but everything I've seen of the guy shows him running wide on just about every play. Can he run between the tackles is my question? If he can't he's going to struggle in the NFL.

Imo it's relatively easy to find quality running backs in the NFL - not so easy to find quality OT or DE. Spiller has to be REALLY special to make this pick worthwhile.

Well i hope your right about "doesn't need HOF O-Line", because the Bills currently have the anti-HOF O-line. So what do you say? Start Spiller at QB, because anyone else is going to be running for thier lives just like last year.

I agree that he was the best avaible and good upgrade to an already filled hole. But what about the holes we didn't fill? I mean, look the Bills laid marble over a black topped road. Unfortunaitly the rest of the road is filled with huge craters and some holes the Bills don't have sand to fill them in.

I think the most glaring reason they drafted him is he does not need every player to be blocked for him to score or gain yards in chunks. They know our OL will not be fixed in a year but he will make their jobs a lot easier. I like the pick, I really can not believe Clausen fell this far.

Will the Bills open lots of holes so he grinds out a sequence of 5 yard runs in a row? Not a chance.

Will the line protect the passer as the Bills convert 60% of 3rd downs? Nope.

Given enough touches, will a guy with Spiller's speed and ability find a way to score? Yes.

Still a lot of holes on this team but it appears the offense now has a focus. It sure wasn't going to be Edwards/Evans/Jackson.

Well i hope your right about "doesn't need HOF O-Line", because the Bills currently have the anti-HOF O-line. So what do you say? Start Spiller at QB, because anyone else is going to be running for thier lives just like last year.

That's a load and ignores that Wood and Levitre have their best years in front of them. No one knows about Green and it's quite likely that someone like Saffold ends up at LT. This is the deepest draft in years at tackle - no reason to reach at 9, a fact Nix obviously knows.

I agree that he was the best avaible and good upgrade to an already filled hole. But what about the holes we didn't fill? I mean, look the Bills laid marble over a black topped road. Unfortunaitly the rest of the road is filled with huge craters and some holes the Bills don't have sand to fill them in.

Bull. The draft didn't end with CJ Spiller. It started there.

Will the Bills open lots of holes so he grinds out a sequence of 5 yard runs in a row? Not a chance.

Really? Why not? Levitre and Wood will only be better next year. Bell and Meredith are young and talented so they could still blossom, and I fully expect them to pick a talented LT prospect at 41 like Brown, Saffold, or Campbell. We have a new offensive minded coach now which could help. And also the o-line really wasn't terrible at run blocking last year. The Bills actually ranked 9th in rushing YPA last year.

RB is a filled hole. Filled with a 30 year old, and a guy who does lots of stupid things and is 1 stupid thing from a year-long suspension. RB isn't nearly as set as you're making out here.

Besides that, he fills a huge need, a critical one-playmaker. We've lacked one outside of WR (who depends on having a competent QB, LT, and offensive coordinator to be effective). This guy can score in multiple ways, and doesn't need much more than a narrow seam to do it.

Couldn't agree more, AD.

The first time the play fake to Spiller causes a cheating DB and/or LB to snap an ankle trying to get back into position will be fun to see.

We now possess the fastest player in the AFCE who also happens to be one of the most productive in NCAA history. There is no denying that production. There is no denying that production came from every aspect of offensive play. There is no denying the big-play, homerun plays that comprised much of that production. Defenses MUST respect his speed to the corners. But let's be clear, Spiller is a football player that possesses world-class speed, not a track star trying to play RB. We haven't had this combination of speed and ability since OJ.

Some folks may remember what it was like having OJ. Every time, EVERY time, he got a hand-off you literally had a feeling in your stomach that he could take it the distance. As good as Cribbs was, as good as TT was, I never got that feeling. There have only been two other backs since OJ that produced that feeling in me, Dickerson and Sanders. I think this kid has that kind of potential based on his combination of speed and football skills.

Speed kills. But mad football skills maim, injure, and weaken first.

GO BILLS!!!