Spiller + Edwards =

A match made in heaven?

I'm not really advocating for this, but does anyone think that Spiller might be the perfect compliment to Captain Checkdown?

Maybe Gailey et al. do and obviously see the potential for big plays resulting from dump-offs to Spiller in the flat.

Conversely, whoever is our QB is going to see the middle of the field open if defenses are forced to respect the threat of an outside swing pass. I see big things for Shawn Nelson this year, and whichever of our WRs wind up in the slot or find themselves slanting across the middle.

Of course we need to wait to see who else is drafted- but as it stands I'm pumped that Spiller alone instantly improves our ENTIRE offense!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A match made in heaven?

I'm not really advocating for this, but does anyone think that Spiller might be the perfect compliment to Captain Checkdown?

Maybe Gailey et al. do and obviously see the potential for big plays resulting from dump-offs to Spiller in the flat.

Conversely, whoever is our QB is going to see the middle of the field open if defenses are forced to respect the threat of an outside swing pass. I see big things for Shawn Nelson this year, and whichever of our WRs wind up in the slot or find themselves slanting across the middle.

Of course we need to wait to see who else is drafted- but as it stands I'm pumped that Spiller alone instantly improves our ENTIRE offense!

+1 my friend. I think we got the most dynamic playmaker in the draft.

A match made in heaven?

IIRC, many on here were saying the same things about TO last year.

TO was going to relieve the double team off of Evans, can't cover both, make the whole team better, give Edwards another weapon, etc ...

and IIRC, that move failed miserably. (Come on, anybody really expect 1, ONE, player to have that kind of impact?)

TO was going to relieve the double team off of Evans, can't cover both, make the whole team better, give Edwards another weapon, etc ...

and IIRC, that move failed miserably. (Come on, anybody really expect 1, ONE, player to have that kind of impact?)

TO - 35 and in clearly not the same player he was 5 years ago

Spiller - early 20's and after the same mold of Chris Johnson.

Is this really even a discussion?

Big difference. Owens wasn't running routes that a QB can checkdown and throw it to him. On the other hand, an elusive pass receiving RB coming out of the backfield is the perfect fit to get those checkdown throws & make something happen. By the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of the top 3 receivers on this team are Spiller & Jackson.

I think that would be valid if we were bringing back the same staff. Gailey is a far more accomplished tactician than anyone we've had in Buffalo since Marchibroda.

A match made in heaven?

That is what I see too. A lot of outside RACs from Spiller on 2nd or 3rd and longs. Edwards will be salivating over this pick. Who won the Super Bowl? New Orleans. And who does Spiller resemble most? Reggie Bush. Not saying Edwards resembles Drew Brees, but if that offense worked in NO, then why wouldn't it work here? Spiller is our second receiver, this year's TO, and hopefully a hell of a lot more productive.

Let's be clear on one thing, Gailey is not anything remotely like the combo of Jauron/Schoenert. He excels at offensive game planning and his offense WILL distribute the ball.

No one should be happier with this pick than Fred Jackson and Lee Evan. Hell even Roscoe might see some touches.

A match made in heaven?

Unless the o-line gets fixed the only thing the qb is going to see is the sky or the turf. All the fast running backs and TO aren't going to right that situation.

+1 my friend. I think we got the most dynamic playmaker in the draft.

Well, let's see...

last year all Edwards needed was a second WR...Owens, check

A TE...Nelson, check

he sucked

I hear what you're saying, but it you think the Bills took Spiller to extend Edwards reign you're either crazy or (God forbid) a crazy genius.

Let the Edwards experiment end, please.

Of course, just as I can expect you to be cynical. Cheer up, it's sunny today.

A match made in heaven?

I think if they really thought that, they would not have been trying so hard to get back into the first to get Tebow. I think they just went with the best player available.

I'm glad to see that there are fans who realize the value of picking up a potential high quality back over feeling like you have to draft for "need". We have 8 picks left I believe. I'm thinking we will have chances to improve our O-line so why not pick up a back who has the potential to pay dividends for years to come.

The problem with Trentative, is he telegraphs his checkdowns and the RBs/TEs have no space to work because a LB is already dialed in to where the ball is going... 2 yd checkdown pass and the player is immediately hit.

I think that would be valid if we were bringing back the same staff. Gailey is a far more accomplished tactician than anyone we've had in Buffalo since Marchibroda.

Exactly. And no way in hell we go into the season with Tardwards as our QB. Ticket sales will drop like a rock. We will take a QB that will win the 'competition' in camp at some point.