Spiller + Edwards =

A match made in heaven?

I'm not really advocating for this, but does anyone think that Spiller might be the perfect compliment to Captain Checkdown?

Maybe Gailey et al. do and obviously see the potential for big plays resulting from dump-offs to Spiller in the flat.

Conversely, whoever is our QB is going to see the middle of the field open if defenses are forced to respect the threat of an outside swing pass. I see big things for Shawn Nelson this year, and whichever of our WRs wind up in the slot or find themselves slanting across the middle.

Of course we need to wait to see who else is drafted- but as it stands I'm pumped that Spiller alone instantly improves our ENTIRE offense!

I guess we will see if we try to jump Cleveland for Clausen... I hope we take either Brown/Campbell/Staffold...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to watch Spiller during a game, and not just pay attention to those you tube "highlight" videos.

Linky 1

"Power: The power aspect of the position is not his forte. He eludes contact because of his quickness and agility, but not as a result of him being soft. He will put his head down when he has to, but he doesn’t push piles forward. If a tackler can get their hands on him with any strength and balance, he won’t break the tackle. Doesn’t have a thick base to run through arm tackles."

Linky 2

"Spiller lacks the bulk needed to be an every down back, doesn't break tackles well, and struggles running tackle to tackle."

I also recently read where Spiller got tackled behind the LOS quite often. Trying to find that article again.

Look, you can argue till you're blue in the face about this, but the guy is hands down, the best offensive play maker in this draft. And so what if he is not a big bruising back. Big bruising backs don't have his kind of speed.

As far as your argument about filling needs, I don't much care for that either. If you want to win in today's NFL, you don't fill needs with mediocre talent. You create mismatches by using the skills of exceptionally talented individuals. Just try to imagine how difficult a time a defense is going to have with multiple play makers on the opposing offense at the same time. Spiller can be a running back, or receiver out of the backfield or line up as a slot receiver. Add Fred Jackson, Lee Evans and Roscoe Parish to the equation and things really start to get interesting.

And another thing you seem to be missing is that we now have an offensive minded coach who isn't going to continue with the "no imagination Jauron pop warner" mentality. You are simply zeroing in on this one pick because it does not conform to your narrow minded view of how this all works. Open up your mind and look at the big picture. There are 6 more rounds left and the way you are reacting, it's all over before Nix & Co. have even come close to finishing out the draft.

Now, I am not saying that we don't need guys in the trenches. What a lot of people are missing is that we picked up two early round offensive linemen last year. We have acquired some depth at RT in the off season. Bell got some experience at LT, though most agree that he is not likely the answer there. So we need a left tackle, agreed.

We are switching to the 3-4 and could use some help on that side as well, agreed. Again, we have 6 more rounds. The philosophy that Nix & Co. are sticking to is that they are picking the most talented football player when their turn on the clock is up. He has all ready said that you are not always going to fill positional need if the value isn't there. The whole idea is that when you pick the most valuable player all the way down the draft rounds, you improve your team as a whole by a bigger percentage than when you put more emphasis on positional needs than talent level.

Yes, Davis was supposed to be the "Thunder" while Spiller was supposed to be the "Lightning" in that game. Davis touched the ball only 6 times.

Dabo used Spiller full time because he had no other choice. Davis was gone. Besides, it's not like ACC is full of dominate defenses. The strongest D (in the ACC) probably belongs to Virginia Tech, and Clemson did not play against them.

Bama's DL was all over the Clemson OL. They could not run the ball, period.

People are missing the big picture. It will be harder than hell to run the ball if the OL cannot get any push. Spiller strength is in open field, outside the tackles, not inside the tackles. He cannot carry anyone or power through people.

Until the Bills OL gets better, especially at the tackle positions, Spiller's skill set is going to go to waste.

It's amazing that people STILL after 10 years don't realize how craptacular the Bills OL is.

IIRC, many on here were saying the same things about TO last year.

TO was going to relieve the double team off of Evans, can't cover both, make the whole team better, give Edwards another weapon, etc ...

and IIRC, that move failed miserably. (Come on, anybody really expect 1, ONE, player to have that kind of impact?)

How did you expect to work, when you went into the season without any viable options at LT and RT.

Look, you can argue till you're blue in the face about this, but the guy is hands down, the best offensive play maker in this draft. And so what if he is not a big bruising back. Big bruising backs don't have his kind of speed.

As far as your argument about filling needs, I don't much care for that either. If you want to win in today's NFL, you don't fill needs with mediocre talent. You create mismatches by using the skills of exceptionally talented individuals. Just try to imagine how difficult a time a defense is going to have with multiple play makers on the opposing offense at the same time. Spiller can be a running back, or receiver out of the backfield or line up as a slot receiver. Add Fred Jackson, Lee Evans and Roscoe Parish to the equation and things really start to get interesting.

And another thing you seem to be missing is that we now have an offensive minded coach who isn't going to continue with the "no imagination Jauron pop warner" mentality. You are simply zeroing in on this one pick because it does not conform to your narrow minded view of how this all works. Open up your mind and look at the big picture. There are 6 more rounds left and the way you are reacting, it's all over before Nix & Co. have even come close to finishing out the draft.

:D

If you had bothered to read everything I have posted in this thread:

1. You will have seen I clearly stated the draft was far from over, and I was not classifying this draft based on this one pick

2. I would not get excited over a situational /role type player (and that is exactly what Spiller is) until I see what else takes place. In short, let's see how the Bills address both OT (depth is good, but we need starters) and the QB situation.

It will be hard to take advantage of Spiller as a WR if the OL can't pass block and/or QB play continues to blow.

It will also be hard to take advantage of Spiller's speed on the outside as RB if the bloody OT cannot get any push or create a lane. Right now, the strength of the Bills OL is on the inside, where Spiller is the least effective.

Now, I am not saying that we don't need guys in the trenches. What a lot of people are missing is that we picked up two early round offensive linemen last year. We have acquired some depth at RT in the off season. Bell got some experience at LT, though most agree that he is not likely the answer there. So we need a left tackle, agreed.

We are switching to the 3-4 and could use some help on that side as well, agreed. Again, we have 6 more rounds. The philosophy that Nix & Co. are sticking to is that they are picking the most talented football player when their turn on the clock is up. He has all ready said that you are not always going to fill positional need if the value isn't there. The whole idea is that when you pick the most valuable player all the way down the draft rounds, you improve your team as a whole by a bigger percentage than when you put more emphasis on positional needs than talent level.