Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Then if they plan on using Lynch, I feel like the Bills have too many needs to justify taking a 3rd RB in a committee with the 9th pick.

Sounds like Spiller will be playing WR at times. And he'll be returning kicks. I'd rather have him do it, since he's in a RB committee, than McKelvin (especially given what happened against the Pats).

Right as usual, Kelly.

And a lot of people bitched about the Byrd pick as well. You can't go wrong picking PROVEN playmakers. Last year they got one in Byrd, this year they got the best one in Spiller.

GO BILLS!!!

Finding OG's is not difficult, especially when you use picks on the first two guards of the draft like they did in 2009.

Despite what the homer fans realize here, some positions are easier to (EDIT: find) than others. Others, like QB, OT, and DE/Rush LB aren't. And that's exactly the positions Buffalo needs to find.

The Bills find their safeties, guards, running backs with ease, but the tough to find positions they can't.

For everyone saying we don't have an OL, I think our interior will be in good shape. I assume the Bills know more about Wood than we do, Hang and Levitre will be there, and Levitre and Wood will be improved. I think we have a RT between Meredith, Bell, Green. If we get a 2nd rd. LT, will people be happy about Spiller?

Finding OG's is not difficult, especially when you use picks on the first two guards of the draft like they did in 2009.

Despite what the homer fans realize here, some positions are easier to (EDIT: find) than others. Others, like QB, OT, and DE/Rush LB aren't. And that's exactly the positions Buffalo needs to find.

The Bills find their safeties, guards, running backs with ease, but the tough to find positions they can't.

A lot of teams have trouble finding those as well.

For everyone saying we don't have an OL, I think our interior will be in good shape. I assume the Bills know more about Wood than we do, Hang and Levitre will be there, and Levitre and Wood will be improved. I think we have a RT between Meredith, Bell, Green. If we get a 2nd rd. LT, will people be happy about Spiller?

As I've been saying, Fred Jackson averaged 4.2 YPC in the Bills' offense last year (removing the Colts game), and he's not nearly the talent Spiller is. The O-line should be better what with Levitre and Wood not being rookies, similarly no rookie at RT, and a decent OC. But the Bills need to fill other holes now.

It is because they pick and sign the wrong players, in all rounds high, mid and low, in all price ranges high, mid and low. And didnt have the coaches to coach them anyway. It is NOT because they don't know the rounds to pick the right positions.

everyone is coming out of the woodworks. I can't read as fast as the thread is moving. this is great!

my response- some of u f'ing guys kill me. how is spiller going to run w/out an oline you say. first of all, freddie jackson ran for over 1,000 yards with out a line last year. and spiller is going to be better than freddie. #2, the fricking draft just began! settle down! obviously a tackle wasnt available that we liked at 9. why cant u guys understand you just cant take a position because it is a need. that is what jauron did and it didnt work. you want change and we get change, but its still not good enough for you. they took the best guy available and he will help the team. nix said it best,"our philosophy is to put as many good players on this team as we can. we would like it to fill a need but if we cant, we don't want to compound the problem by putting another one in that possition that cannot play." WHY is this so hard to understand?

This pic is an upgrade for our team. don't despair, we will get our tackle and our DT,lb and wideout. if they dont get a qb(and i am sad that tebow is gone- i think they wanted him and so did I) that means one of the guys on the roster will have to do this year and we'll get the qb next year. we are NOT winning the SB this year so upgrade where u can. there are still 6 more rounds of the draft to go, undrafted people to sign and some more free agents after that.

this Fo is NOTHING like the last one. I don't see it like you doom and gloomers do. and the ones who said they are gonna be done as buffalo fans if we take spiller. C YA!

To the tune of "Empire State Of Mind"......

C.J. Spill-er....

It's what losses are made of,

just what I was afraid of,

C.J. Spiller.....

He'll be taking his spills and, making us ill

Oh C.J. Spill-er, Spill-er Spill-er......

Losses will be more garish;

He's the same size as Parrish......

Different GM, another useless gadget player. It is like a nightmare that just won't end. :unsure:

And the ACC is not even the SEC...Not even close...

But anyway, look Folks...If Spiller gets into the open Field he's gone...No question about it...He's lightning in a bottle...I've been watching the Kid for Years...Clemson is an hour and a half from My House...I know all there is to know about CJ Spiller...He's a heck of a good Kid...He's going to be a solid part of the Community no question...I'm actually a CJ Spiller Fan already...

But Spiller is a luxury Pick on a Team that has MAJOR needs all over the Field....A Team that did little to fill those needs in Free Agency...A Team that desperately needs to get better in the trenches, and a Team that could have used a Trade down (or two) to stockpile Picks and talent (and don't tell me there were no partners...not this year...)...Dez Bryant, Brian Bulaga, Dan Williams...They are all STILL on the Board at #23...The Bills could have REALLY stocked up on Picks by now...Instead they took a Kid that even they admit is a situational hybrid...I just don't get it...

But lets all hope they were right...I know even though I disagree with the Pick I'm hoping beyond hope they got this one right...I look forward to seeing CJ in Red White and Blue...But Nix, Gailey and Modrak still have a TON of work to do... :unsure:

I'm not sure I'd call him a "luxury pick", but he plays a position that wasn't a desperate need for a team with a ton of needs. It seems obvious that the new draft room has a different set of priorities than the last set of heads. These guys went after a top talent rather than a projection at a position of desperate need. That's a good thing for a team that focused more on keeping the merry-go-round spinning than getting better for far too long.

Spiller can help in the short-term because he is an explosive offensive player with world class speed. Hard to say that can't help on a team without weapons. He also opens up options to pedal Lynch. It's pretty clear that the suspension last year of Lynch did have an effect on his production, although some argued it wouldn't matter at all.

On the other hand, it doesn't address some of the major gaping holes on the team. Overall, the team is looking to be worse and taking a few steps back from the 7-9 heights it had attained under Jauron. If that means a couple years of picking at the top of the draft to re-build with a stable of solid young talent, then that is not unexpected. If there were an All-Pro LT there and they took him, then they would be looking for weapons in next year's draft; so, it is a bit of chicken vs. egg.

I wouldn't be surprised for the Bills to make a play for McCoy tomorrow.

It's about finding playmakers, regardless of position. Byrd is a playmaker. Spiller is a playmaker. And many teams are going to have trouble finding those "tough" positions because there are so few quality players AT those positions. Once the top two (and ONLY two) LTs the Bills had graded higher than Spiller were off the board, the Bills did the right thing by sticking to their board and going BPA instead of reaching. They got VALUE in Spiller at 9 as well. Like I said earlier, shades of SD when they selected Tomlinson when they SUCKED and had other needs. Glad Nix learned from Butler.

Great players are difficult to find, period. Again, regardless of position. But go ahead and lump all the game-breaking RBs with all those others found in later rounds. Not all RBs are created equal. But so many around here think they are. If all you want is someone to hand the ball off to then wait. If you want the most talented player at his position in the draft, one who has dominated at the college level, and has demonstrated homerun ability running, catching, and returning and posseses rare physical gifts, then you don't hesitate.

GO BILLS!!!

C.J. Spill-er....

C.J. Spiller.....

Different GM, another useless gadget player. It is like a nightmare that just won't end. :unsure:

Huh? Parish is 5'9 and 171#. Spiller is 5'11" and 196# (I figure he'll add another 10# or so). And he's not a "gadget" player (I'd argue that Parrish, a 2nd rounder, wasn't either, and that he just never amounted to much as a WR).

Nothing against Spiller, who I think is a VERY good running back, but I hope he can create his own holes.

Also: so long, Marshawn.

isnt the run game mostly made via the guards and center? we would have only added 1 left tackle, thats more of a passing improvement, I dont think the run game hinges on a left tackle, if anything well need to pass less with more TDs through the running game, marshawn always ran straight into the defender.

While I was hoping for O-line help, I can live with Spiller as the BPA. I'm not nearly as disappointed as I was last year when Maybin's name was called.

If Chan can find a way to use him in a lot of creative ways in conjuction with Jackson, the offense could be more explosive, even with the QBs on the roster now.

But we have to get OT help Friday, one way or another. I'd feel a LOT better if we could swing a trade for Gaither, which would really enhance the Spiller pick.

Huh? Parish is 5'9 and 171#. Spiller is 5'11" and 196#. And he's not a "gadget" player (I'd argue that Parrish, a 2nd rounder, wasn't either, and that he just never amounted to much as a WR).

Doc, it was a dishonest pick by a dumb franchise. It looks like we have another TD on our hands; a consumate pro until he hits Buffalo, where he turns into a jackass. :unsure:

Doc, it was a dishonest pick by a dumb franchise. It looks like we have another TD on our hands; a consumate pro until he hits Buffalo, where he turns into a jackass. :unsure:

Who would you have taken? After Trent Williams was taken (I figured the Bills had no shot at Okung, much less Bradford, Suh, and McCoy), there was no one else I thought worthy of the selection.

C.J. Spill-er....

C.J. Spiller.....

Different GM, another useless gadget player. It is like a nightmare that just won't end. :censored:

Did you like the Byrd pick last year? I'm guessing you didn't. And neither did I. And he went to the Pro Bowl. Which is why you and I are sitting here typing and not in Radio City Music Hall picking :unsure:

Did you like the Byrd pick last year? I'm guessing you didn't. And neither did I. And he went to the Pro Bowl. Which is why you and I are sitting here typing and not in Radio City Music Hall picking :unsure:

The Byrd pick was OK, but the first round pick in 2010 we didn't take for that selection would have been OK too.