Trent, Fitz, Brohm: Where's the freakin' leadership?

yungmack

Maybe one of those three guys will turn out to be a tremendous QB. But what's really bothersome to me is their apparent lack of fire, their laid-back personalities, their "whatever" attitude. I am thinking specifically about the Marshawn Lynch situation and maybe Schobel to a lesser extent. If you're the QB, you are the team leader (or should be). So get on those two guys. Call them, or jump on a plane, whatever. Convince them to play, or at least to show up. Call Lynch out. Get in his face. Show some freakin' leadership.

Does anyone think for one second that Jim Kelly would be missing-in-action on Lynch? He sure wasn't on Thurman. And on the rest of the team. And his house was party-central after the games, with not only all the players there, but their moms and dads as well. Kelly saw the Bills as his team, and his attitude had as much to do with their success as did his talent.

So far, these three guys are like Freddie Prinze on "Chico and the Man": "Ees not my yob." I may be misreading them, but to me they seem like mid-level employees at some giant global corporation, faceless guys who punch in and punch day after day without leaving a trace. Bland and ball-less.

I'm saying they are leaders but if you aren't in the lockerroom, how do youi possibly know how they led? Just because a guy doesn't yell and scream in front of a camera doesn't mean they aren't leading. You can't jsut assume things.

That said, this is why I'm really starting to like Tebow in the 2nd. Even if he doesn't become a true franchise QB, his leadership will make him a valuable pick. He'll find a way to help this team.

1. How do you know they haven't (or haven't at least sent a text)

2. NFL teams aren't what they used to be back in Kelly's day, it's not a group of guys that are together for a long time and become more than just colleagues. Not saying that means QB's shouldn't try to rally the troops, but I'm not sure the young players still have the same relationships as guys used to

Hard to assume a leadership role when you dont know if you'll be the #1 guy, the #3 guy, or completely off the roster, which any of these 3 can certainly fall under come opening day.

Well the Bills better do something about this fast; leadership is one of the key qualities in creating a winning team.

Sincerely,

Tim Connolly

Well the Bills better do something about this fast; leadership is one of the key qualities in creating a winning team.

Sincerely,

Tim Connolly

Burn.

We need a poster here with the poster name of "Tim Connolly's Rohrschach Test." his brains are like scrambled eggs.

Yeah how did that leadership go from Kelly when Bruce wasnt showing up or getting DUI's. I blame Kelly for all of that. I think Trent is a waste and the team is in pretty rough shape, but you are seriously grasmping for straws here

Hard to assume a leadership role when you dont know if you'll be the #1 guy, the #3 guy, or completely off the roster, which any of these 3 can certainly fall under come opening day.

That's kind of my point, that these guys APPEAR to stand around waiting for the coach to say, "You're the starter." They APPEAR not to have any fire in the belly. It's as though none of them really believe in their hearts that they're number 1. For example, if Edwards truly believes he's the best on the roster, then he should be acting like that. You don't wait to be appointed "team leader;" you seize the role. That's what leaders do.

And, no, I don't know if any of those 3 guys have reached out to Lynch. But nothing in their individual demeanor suggests the thought would ever cross their mind. "Ees not my yob." They all seem as disengaged from the role of team leader as Rob Johnson did.

I'm saying they are leaders but if you aren't in the lockerroom, how do youi possibly know how they led? Just because a guy doesn't yell and scream in front of a camera doesn't mean they aren't leading. You can't jsut assume things.

That said, this is why I'm really starting to like Tebow in the 2nd. Even if he doesn't become a true franchise QB, his leadership will make him a valuable pick. He'll find a way to help this team.

+1000

We need a friggin LEADER! These three kitty's combined couldn't lead jack ****.

...So far, these three guys are like Freddie Prinze on "Chico and the Man": "Ees not my yob."...

A Chico and the Man analogy??? I know they have some of those old 70's sitcoms on TVLand and other late night cable channels, but I can't imagine anyone under the age of 50 having the attention span to be able to watch more then 5 minutes of Chico and The Man in todays' "reality" world of TV.

As far as Edwards, Fitz and Brohm having no leadership skills? Well first you need talent that the rest of your offense can respect before you can lead them anywhere. For example; Levitre and Wood were forced to start as rookies last year, right? How could they respect Edwards for having absolutley zero talent for reading a defense fast enough, or for having natural talents of feeling his pocket and moving around in it, for him to make up for their lack of experience by completing more passes and making more first downs?? As if they didn't feel bad enough having to be rookies and get beat and try to learn on the fly, their QB's sucked even worse then they did most of the time. What good would it have done for Edwards or Fitz to get in their faces, when they were to busy getting sacked or throwing ints themselves??

If you are old enough to remember watching Chico and The Man when it was a weekly show in the 70's, then perhaps you remember watching Jimbo his first season starting for the Bills in 1986. His line sucked, his offense sucked, his defense sucked, and his team finished 4-12-0. But he made so many great plays and excaped sacks despite never being fast or even quick, he just plain demanded respect.

That's kind of my point, that these guys APPEAR to stand around waiting for the coach to say, "You're the starter." They APPEAR not to have any fire in the belly. It's as though none of them really believe in their hearts that they're number 1. For example, if Edwards truly believes he's the best on the roster, then he should be acting like that. You don't wait to be appointed "team leader;" you seize the role. That's what leaders do.

And, no, I don't know if any of those 3 guys have reached out to Lynch. But nothing in their individual demeanor suggests the thought would ever cross their mind. "Ees not my yob." They all seem as disengaged from the role of team leader as Rob Johnson did.

sweet. could be a good disney movie. stop with the romanticizing of sport

Guest dog14787

Trent Edwards has always put the team in front of himself even if it means swallowing his pride. TE lays it all on the line on every play and the kind of guy that tries to lead by example.

How well a QB leads/ performs is a direct reflection of his supporting cast and I don't care how much of a leader you are without the proper coaching/management/protection it doesn't mean anything.

Where has the freakin proper leadership from management/coaching been? How about blaming the Bills woes in recent years on the real culprits?

More like Tebow in the first.

Maybe one of those three guys will turn out to be a tremendous QB. But what's really bothersome to me is their apparent lack of fire, their laid-back personalities, their "whatever" attitude. I am thinking specifically about the Marshawn Lynch situation and maybe Schobel to a lesser extent. If you're the QB, you are the team leader (or should be). So get on those two guys. Call them, or jump on a plane, whatever. Convince them to play, or at least to show up. Call Lynch out. Get in his face. Show some freakin' leadership.

Does anyone think for one second that Jim Kelly would be missing-in-action on Lynch? He sure wasn't on Thurman. And on the rest of the team. And his house was party-central after the games, with not only all the players there, but their moms and dads as well. Kelly saw the Bills as his team, and his attitude had as much to do with their success as did his talent.

So far, these three guys are like Freddie Prinze on "Chico and the Man": "Ees not my yob." I may be misreading them, but to me they seem like mid-level employees at some giant global corporation, faceless guys who punch in and punch day after day without leaving a trace. Bland and ball-less.

I felt the same way when Jason Peters was staying out and nobody could get in contact with him or his agent.

One of the Bills' players (don't remember who) said he had talked to Peters but they didn't talk about the holdout and that was between Peters & the Bills management. A team leader should have been telling him to get his butt in camp.

Keep in mind it wasn't until Thurman called out Kelly after Kelly called out the "House" did they start acting like team mates...How quickly you forget the Bickering Bills. Once they got by the bickering you can tell the guys cared about each other.

There needs to be leaders at just about every position which is one reason why you never let all of your vets go.

Lynch, Edwards, Poz, Schobel, Kelsey, McGee, they are not your leader types like Moulds, Spikes and Fletcher in recent memory. Whitner has tried but has been roasted for his effort. Players have to start playing above average to be able to fully assume the role as a leader and only Schobel really qualifies but he doesn't seem very vocal. It doesn't seem the guys are as unified as Bills teams in the past.

A team leader should have been telling him to get his butt in camp.

If this was sandlot football yeah. But it's professional football. The only thing they care about more than football is money. They support each other in their pursuit of more money. That's why no one told Peters to get his butt in camp. They all know that someday they might be Peters' shoes and want support from his team mates. Telling him to "get his butt in camp" would hurt him in his negotiations. Nothing could hurt team unity more than that.

I think Fitz has leadership. When he came in in relief vs the Jets and got that TD to Evans and got us the win it started. Some of the other stuff he did like the Fish game at the Ralph and the 31 yard TD run and 98 yard pass to TO built on it. Granted he's not very good, but he does have leadership.

That's why I support him over the other 2 current QBs on the roster to start in 2010.

Did Brohm REALLY get a chance ?

To prove he is a leader? Yes, as soon as he was put on the roster and I am sure if the ability to lead exists with any of them, the new regime has figured it out. I get the sense they understand why it's important to the team.

London Fletcher or Takeo Spikes are the last few Bills I can remember that overtly demonstrated leadership. It may be happening in the locker room now, but it's not oozing out into the public eye.