Bills #1 Pick Coming Down To...............

H2o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully, the new regime will abandon this stupid mentality. When do we learn? Losman cost us a 1st, 2nd and a 5th, then they threw him in behind garbage. Rob Johnson cost us the #9 draft selection and a 4th, and he too was put on the field in front of a high scgool level offensive line. When Trent Edwards looked like he had a shot, they traded away his Left Tackle, and Drew Bledsoe was unable to produce playing behind similarly poor players.

If the Bills draft Spiller or Clausen, it will be the equivalent of spending most of your money on a diamond necklace, and then going for a weekly 3 hour stroll through Flint, Michigan.

After much thought, I have to agree with Bill. Understand, I am a huge Clausen fan and definitelty a Spiller fan. But reality has to be faced. We are a Northeast team that plays in the wind and the cold. That should be to the Bills advantage. Take a look at Brohm's first series against the Falcon's to get a snapshot of waht Clausen would be doing for Buffalo. Backpedaling and running for his life. Build the line now.

Hopefully, the new regime will abandon this stupid mentality. When do we learn? Losman cost us a 1st, 2nd and a 5th, then they threw him in behind garbage. Rob Johnson cost us the #9 draft selection and a 4th, and he too was put on the field in front of a high scgool level offensive line. When Trent Edwards looked like he had a shot, they traded away his Left Tackle, and Drew Bledsoe was unable to produce playing behind similarly poor players.

If the Bills draft Spiller or Clausen, it will be the equivalent of spending most of your money on a diamond necklace, and then going for a weekly 3 hour stroll through Flint, Michigan.

After much thought, I have to agree with Bill. Understand, I am a huge Clausen fan and definitelty a Spiller fan. But reality has to be faced. We are a Northeast team that plays in the wind and the cold. That should be to the Bills advantage. Take a look at Brohm's first series against the Falcon's to get a snapshot of waht Clausen would be doing for Buffalo. Backpedaling and running for his life. Build the line now.

Unfortunately the "we have to have this position" mentality is what bore Whitner, Losman, McCargo. If the value isn't there at OT, it WOULD BE MORE OF THE SAME IF WE REACH FOR AN OT! We still need OL, but if the value isn't there don't reach! I think the draft last year is more indicative of where we're going in this year than the prior years anyway.

The important part is what Buddy was saying - there will be a good player there and we need to get him.

The draft is about getting value players and building not just for this season, but for the future. Nicks was part of regimes that built up in the trenches with mid-round picks...(Marcus McNeil, Kris Dielman, etc.)

Provided they don't go DB, WR, or TE I'll be a happy camper.

Here's the part that worries me. In the same report, they say the Redskins will take a QB. Now, I'm not pretending to have insider knowledge, but I fail to see how a team who just made a major "win now" move by acquiring McNabb, who also has a gaping hole ( that's what she said) at Left tackle...with the ability to pick a top left tackle prospect at 4, would waste a premium draft choice and valuable cap space on a Qb who would ride pine for a couple of years.

So, I'm not doubting the validity of the report. I believe those "rumors" are out there. I just don't think you can believe anything you hear about the draft.

Unfortunately the "we have to have this position" mentality is what bore Whitner, Losman, McCargo.

I very strongly disagree. In 06 the Bills needed 4 offensive linemen, and had virtually nothing at DT. Now, how much did they "need" a safety?

As for Losman, a washed up Bledsoe was clearly superior to JP in his prime, let alone as a rookie. Again, no pressing need when the OL sucks.

McCargo would be a good example of a reach. The other two are examples of sheer idiocy by our front office.

Jmo.

Sorry - but eastcoastsportsnews.com looks like something someone created on inuit websites in their garage. I am not buying it.

That was my initial thought too ... their cheesy logo banner was generated by a free website that I had used years ago ...

Really?

I think it's a lot closer to being the equivalent of a lower-income person taking what little discretionary cash they have and investing it in an up-and-coming business venture, realizing fully well that they'll remain cash-strapped in the short-term while putting their long-term financial future at the forefront of their thinking. The strategy being that you can always go out and work more hours/do more odd jobs to make more short-term cash, but you can't go back in time and make the right investment.

With that thought in mind, what would be so wrong with drafting a QB at #9, provided the team spends, say, 4 other picks on OTs? Even if you're only right 25% of the time, you still get a quality starting OT and a young, talented QB.

After all, there are more good OTs currently playing in the NFL that were drafted after round 1 than there are QBs (I don't need to re-hash the #s for you, as we've had that discussion before).

Just my 1 cent.

Based on what?

Let's be honest. It's based on the fact that he's a California guy who comes off of arrogant.

It has nothing to do with ability ( which he has) or Pro-style offense experience ( which he has).

The NFL draft is the worst time of year for stereotyping.

If a defensive player is white, he's high motor. If a Qb is from California, he is going to be a bust.