Bulaga - the more I read...

The more I read this guy scares me. He has "short arms" and got beaten badly at the college level several times. I don't see this guy being the LT of the future - maybe RT but not LT. Also I wonder if his flaws were hidden by Kirk Ferntz and possibly some degree of unathleticism will be exposed in the Pros. The way I see it is if it is between him and Clausen I would trade down - LOL. I would trade down no matter who was there. I'd take Clausen over Bulaga at this point though.

The more I read this guy scares me. He has "short arms" and got beaten badly at the college level several times. I don't see this guy being the LT of the future - maybe RT but not LT. Also I wonder if his flaws were hidden by Kirk Ferntz and possibly some degree of unathleticism will be exposed in the Pros. The way I see it is if it is between him and Clausen I would trade down - LOL. I would trade down no matter who was there. I'd take Clausen over Bulaga at this point though.

The guy was solid all year long and kept the best DE in college football, Derrick Morgan, in check every time he lined up across from him in the bowl game I watched. I think he's going to be a quality starter in the NFL @ OT. He has good feet, good strength, drives through his opponent to finish blocks, and looks to make blocks downfield after the initial contact.

Yeah, I've heard some knocks on him as well. Buddy Nix recently said this;

“We’ve got a different opinion about some of the guys that we have. We’ve got a different opinion about how many guys can fill a need in the draft. Quarterback’s the same way. When it comes time, if we think there’s two left tackles in the draft that can come in and make an immediate impact that can play from Day 1, that’s what we expect from a top-10 choice. But we don’t always get what we want. It’s like Christmas time. You don’t always get what you’re looking for.”

It's said as a hypothetical but has undertones, to me, of really believing there are only two tackles worth starting from day 1. I don't think Bulaga is one of them.

The guy was solid all year long and kept the best DE in college football, Derrick Morgan, in check every time he lined up across from him in the bowl game I watched. I think he's going to be a quality starter in the NFL @ OT. He has good feet, good strength, drives through his opponent to finish blocks, and looks to make blocks downfield after the initial contact.

Solid is not what you want at #9

the only sure thing at 9 may be Spillner and then tackle in the second round

Bulaga had trouble with Brandon Graham of Michigan. Graham is one of the top pass rushers in the draft and is going to go in the first round. I've never heard about struggling in several games.

He's a safer pick than Trent Williams or Anthony Davis but has less upside.

In the fall of 2007, I saw Vernon Gholston beat up on Jake Long in the OSU-Michigan game. Two years later, Gholston is perhaps the biggest bust of the past 5 years and Long is closing in on being a top notch LOT.

Heck, Bryant McKinnie was outstanding in college, but he's never been a Walter Jones or Orlando Pace type LOT. The point is, college production is nice, but this team needs to determine who'll succeed in the pros.

You got it. Ever since the can`t miss Big Mike pick I`ve been really scared of picking O-tackles in the top ten. Like Buddy said pick the best player at that time ,that can start from day one. Why pick the 3rd or 4th best at his position here? It`s not like we are a star studded team.

I agree with you completly. You don't take a LT with short arms, and as much as I want a QB in Buffalo, you cannot take a QB with 9 in hands. I played QB in Highschool and I wished my hands were bigger when it was cold or it rained.

The guy is a RT in the NFL and you dont' draft Right Tackles that high.

agreed and it sucks that we might not find a left tackle

Where do you guys get this crap? The LT in San Diego that Nix is a huge part of drafting is probowl talent and a SECOND round pick!

I swear to God guys come on. The talent from pick about #5 or so through the entire 2nd round is the same! This is a DEEP draft. There are guys in this draft that will be 4th round picks that will have 10+ year careers with multiple pro bowl apperances.

Thank God Nix is in charge and not most posting on message boards.

In the fall of 2007, I saw Vernon Gholston beat up on Jake Long in the OSU-Michigan game. Two years later, Gholston is perhaps the biggest bust of the past 5 years and Long is closing in on being a top notch LOT.

Heck, Bryant McKinnie was outstanding in college, but he's never been a Walter Jones or Orlando Pace type LOT. The point is, college production is nice, but this team needs to determine who'll succeed in the pros.

Good discussion by all posters.

There are lots of people on this board who insist we come away with a tackle, particularly in the first round.

That may or may not happen depending upon who is there at our pick.

The consensus is that there are no Tony Bosellis, Walter Jones, Orlando Paces, in this draft.

I personally think Bulaga will be fine. A solid LEFT tackle but maybe not quite as good as Jake Long. He may be as good or better than Logan Mankins or Joe Staley...but both of those guys were drafted at the end of the first round, and neither player is elite.

Again, all the top tackles this year have flaws. The guys with no questions about their football temperament have physical questions. The physically talented guys have questions about their temperament.

Some NFL personnel evaluators reportedly believe that Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga is the most overrated prospect in this year's draft.

"It'll shock you when I say this, but I know some people have him graded out as a third-round pick," said one personnel man. "A lot of pass rushers beat him badly last year. And if you watch that film, and add in that his arms are shorter than you'd like a tackle to have, how high can you take him? I know he's well-coached...(but) he's falling a bit in some people's eyes."

Source: SI.com

Where do you guys get this crap? The LT in San Diego that Nix is a huge part of drafting is probowl talent and a SECOND round pick!

I swear to God guys come on. The talent from pick about #5 or so through the entire 2nd round is the same! This is a DEEP draft. There are guys in this draft that will be 4th round picks that will have 10+ year careers with multiple pro bowl apperances.

Thank God Nix is in charge and not most posting on message boards.

no one is arguing this i s a not is a deep draft, it is not a deep tackle draft.

Developing a tackle is one thing and that can cleary be done but the teams needs a day one left tackle and that is why people are advocating a first round pick be used for one.

I am exciting for what buddy will do in the draft and I thing we will come away with 3,4 maybe 5 starters

My ideal first two rounds would be:

1. Clausen

2. Saffold

Saffold is a true player and many people feel he is one of the top 2-3 true LT prospects. I think he would be our starter at LT for the next 10 years.

And to be honest, Bulaga and his short arms scare me. An RT isn't a Top 10 need.

You do realize that good players, and even Pro Bowl ones, are often found in rounds not named 1, right?

of course we understand that pro bowl players come from all rounds . However, this is not a deep tackle drafft and we do not have a left tackle on the roster worth a dam right now. The perfect scenerio would have been find a day one starter to plug in to the spot. It is becoming clear that is not going to happen.

Funny isn't it?

Clausen in some people's eyes went from having small hands to having "tiny hands."

Bulaga went from being a solid left tackle prospect to being a right tackle or even...a guard.

The word that comes to my mind is hysteria. The truth is somewhere in the middle and very few of us know the truth of these matters. But that doesn't stop many from making assertions as indisputable fact.

Very funny stuff.

Funny isn't it?

Clausen in some people's eyes went from having small hands to having "tiny hands."

Bulaga went from being a solid left tackle prospect to being a right tackle or even...a guard.

The word that comes to my mind is hysteria. The truth is somewhere in the middle and very few of us know the truth of these matters. But that doesn't stop many from making assertions as indisputable fact.

Very funny stuff.

It`s all a gamble. There are no sure thing ,can`t miss players. It just comes down to who you think is a better player and seems like he will work out.

Funny isn't it?

Very funny stuff.

Wonder if Clausen can hold one of those Burger King Hamburgers with those tiny hands?

The guy is a RT in the NFL and you dont' draft Right Tackles that high.

Brian, was Willie Anderson a bad pick by the Bengals?

I'm NOT breaking your shoes, but I make the point that the Bills do not have a credible OT on their entire roster, and this is ugly by any stretch of the imagination.

Btw for what little it's worth, I project Bulaga to be a RT, and a very good one.

I personally think Bulaga will be fine. A solid LEFT tackle but maybe not quite as good as Jake Long. He may be as good or better than Logan Mankins or Joe Staley...but both of those guys were drafted at the end of the first round, and neither player is elite.

Again, all the top tackles this year have flaws. The guys with no questions about their football temperament have physical questions. The physically talented guys have questions about their temperament.

Mankins is a LG and a Pro Bowl one at that. Staley is a solid LOT with San Francisco, who the 49ers picked up at the end of the first in 2008.

Each OT does indeed have flaws, but that's why talent evaluators get paid. It's the college scouting folks decision to find the right guy for their team. Draft value being what it is, history shows you can find decent NT's later in the draft, but instant starters at OT aren't normally found out of the first.

Mankins is a LG and a Pro Bowl one at that. Staley is a solid LOT with San Francisco, who the 49ers picked up at the end of the first in 2008.

Each OT does indeed have flaws, but that's why talent evaluators get paid. It's the college scouting folks decision to find the right guy for their team. Draft value being what it is, history shows you can find decent NT's later in the draft, but instant starters at OT aren't normally found out of the first.

I meant Matt Light...taken 48th overall...2 Pro Bowls...but not considered an elite player.

I think Bills fans have to ask themselves if they'd be satisfied with players of this caliber (Light, Staley) with the 9th pick overall. It's a scenario that could play out.

edit: to further add to the thought (I think), Light started 12 games as a rookie and 122 in his career. One of his Pro Bowls was as an alternate. The Patriots have won Super Bowls with this guy...but he's not considered an elite tackle.

If we knew Brian Bulaga would have this career, would we be willing to draft him at #9?

1. Clausen

2. Saffold

Saffold is a true player and many people feel he is one of the top 2-3 true LT prospects. I think he would be our starter at LT for the next 10 years.

And to be honest, Bulaga and his short arms scare me. An RT isn't a Top 10 need.

I like your thoughts BUT.......

I think Clausen will go to either Seahawks or Cleveland.

Saffold would be a great pick in the second but I don't think he will be there.

1. Clausen

2. Saffold

I like your thoughts BUT.......

I think Clausen will go to either Seahawks or Cleveland.

Saffold would be a great pick in the second but I don't think he will be there.

Bulaga in the first or Saffold (if he's there) in the 2nd. Good question.

Here's Saffold versus Brandon Graham from this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BfUcMOak1k

I think Graham gets the best of him by a good margin. Saffold's success comes on 3-step drops and notice that the Indiana QB never held the ball for more than two seconds. Graham wins three times with an inside counter move (just misses getting a safety on one), and exhibits his bull rush on another play. Saffold does a good job when Graham tries to go wide, but again, the ball is out quickly and Graham has great success with the counter move when Saffold overplays the outside rush. However, considering that Indiana put Saffold on an island, I think he does a fair job against Graham.

On the other hand, Brian Bulaga admits that Brandon Graham got the best of their meeting this year but in fairness, that was when Bulaga was recovering from that viral infection. He was a bit weakened and had lost about ten pounds.

Although there are concerns that Bulaga has been coached to his ceiling by ex-NFL line coach Kirk Ferentz, Bulaga is a mean, nasty, physical run blocker and a good technician as a pass blocker.

IMO Bulaga won't be an elite player but he'll defeat his opponent most of the time and on those days where he's getting beaten, you help him out with the back or the tight end. Bulaga reminds me a bit of Will Wolford (who from time to time had difficulties in pass blocking...3 Pro Bowls...but not elite). As I said earlier, Bulaga might become someone like Matt Light (who owned Aaron Schobel for most of his career). Started 12 games as a rookie, started 122 games in his career, made 2 Pro Bowls...

Yea and Brandon Graham undressed him in Iowa. Which one is it? I don't think Bulaga is going in the top 10. 15-25. I think this will be one of the surprises of the draft.

Solid is not what you want at #9

the only sure thing at 9 may be Spillner and then tackle in the second round

Exactly. A team can get "solid" players in round 2, 3, 4, etc. In the top 10 a team has to get the

most dynamic player available. To me, it's Spiller or Morgan if the draft plays out the way most

have it going. And if they take Tebow at 9 I might break the flat screen!

no one is arguing this i s a not is a deep draft, it is not a deep tackle draft.

Developing a tackle is one thing and that can cleary be done but the teams needs a day one left tackle and that is why people are advocating a first round pick be used for one.

I am exciting for what buddy will do in the draft and I thing we will come away with 3,4 maybe 5 starters

I've said this the past two days, but getting a LT just to get a LT makes NO SENSE. Like Nix said if they can't come in from Day 1 why waste the pick? The Bills have already been developing Bell; hate to disappoint some folks, but Bell has more athleticism than Bulaga and more upside too. Like Nix said, they have a different opinion of some of their own players than the media does... So it sounds like there are two LT's the Bills like in the top 10. If one is available we shall see if Bulaga is one of them. He's a good player, but an impact player? I'm not sold on that one and in the top 10 I want impact.

Bulaga had trouble with Brandon Graham of Michigan. Graham is one of the top pass rushers in the draft and is going to go in the first round. I've never heard about struggling in several games.

He's a safer pick than Trent Williams or Anthony Davis but has less upside.

Bulaga gave him one sack....not bad for going against the best pass rusher in the college ranks...

Instead of listening to what is written you really should check out this guys game film...they even started lining Morgan up on the opposite side to get more production out of him...what does that tell you?

I've said this the past two days, but getting a LT just to get a LT makes NO SENSE. Like Nix said if they can't come in from Day 1 why waste the pick? The Bills have already been developing Bell; hate to disappoint some folks, but Bell has more athleticism than Bulaga and more upside too. Like Nix said, they have a different opinion of some of their own players than the media does... So it sounds like there are two LT's the Bills like in the top 10. If one is available we shall see if Bulaga is one of them. He's a good player, but an impact player? I'm not sold on that one and in the top 10 I want impact.

I agree reaching is the reason for so many blown first round picks last decade. No one is advocating taking a tackle for tackle sake the ideal situaiton would be to get one of the two buddy likes .

I meant Matt Light...taken 48th overall...2 Pro Bowls...but not considered an elite player.

I think Bills fans have to ask themselves if they'd be satisfied with players of this caliber (Light, Staley) with the 9th pick overall. It's a scenario that could play out.

edit: to further add to the thought (I think), Light started 12 games as a rookie and 122 in his career. One of his Pro Bowls was as an alternate. The Patriots have won Super Bowls with this guy...but he's not considered an elite tackle.

If we knew Brian Bulaga would have this career, would we be willing to draft him at #9?

two things, first NO Bulaga can't be that, he is a RIGHT tackle in the NFL. Second I would love a matt light player but that will be found in the 2nd round.

1. Clausen

2. Saffold

:thumbsup:

altho I think Saffold may need some devlopmnt. but Id be happy w/ that draft

I agree reaching is the reason for so many blown first round picks last decade. No one is advocating taking a tackle for tackle sake the ideal situaiton would be to get one of the two buddy likes .

I hear you, but I'm seeing a lot of posts from other fans with the sentiment being they HAVE to have a LT in rd. 1 over any other position. I agree, if one on Buddy's list falls to 9, take him. We can assume Okung is one of the tackles and he will be gone. So is the other OT Williams or Bulaga? And both of them might be gone by 9 anyway; although I think Bulaga might fall into the teens/twenties.

Bulaga gave him one sack....not bad for going against the best pass rusher in the college ranks...

Instead of listening to what is written you really should check out this guys game film...they even started lining Morgan up on the opposite side to get more production out of him...what does that tell you?

I actually watched the game when it was on and I did watch some of it again on youtube. The game is about more than sacks. He gave up one sack and what else? Graham was in on a LOT of plays in the run game, he was pressuring Stanzi CONSISTENTLY and Bulaga was chasing him and how many of those pressures created sacks for other Michigan players?? Did you watch the game??

My point wasn't that Bulaga isn't a good player. My point was that he has some issues and to take a player at 9, who is only a "solid" player, might not be the wisest move. Trade down and get him later in the round if he's there. At 9 they should be getting a DYNAMIC player. They can get a "solid" lineman later in the first or in other rounds altogether.

And the GT games tells me Morgan is not as explosive as Graham and I would still take Morgan over Bulaga at 9 because he will give the Bills more impact.